BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Som
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Blackstone report -- ~16k intervals

I've been changing the oil out per the "BMW recommendation" of ~15k miles -- basically soon after the dash tells me to change the oil. Below is my Blackstone report for the last 3. I had the 1200mi oil change as well as a ~7k oil change that I didn't send in a sample for.

The 7-23k oil had a track day on it. The rest is mostly DD cruising with a handful of drag racing/spirited driving sessions thrown in. I have a separate track car for beating on, so this car gets treated pretty mildly.

The numbers are higher than the universal S65 averages, but I'm guessing I also change my oil out in longer intervals, too -- so higher numbers would be expected just based on that, right?

Curious if anyone else is running their oil this long and having their oil analyzed regularly.

Som

Edit: I should point out that the reason I'm searching through M3Post to begin with is because I had oil spray out of my oil fill cap and all over the passenger side of my engine. It's possibly due to the a faulty oil cap, but I'm also researching to determine if it might have something to do with a crank breather getting plugged. If it's the latter reason, it's possible my long interval oil changes contributed to the problem (I haven't determine how those things work / get clogged, yet).

Last edited by Som; 04-11-2016 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

So Blackstone is suggesting 18K next time. Just echos my sentiments that people who do 5K oil changes might was well change their windshields every 5K as well. Such a waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Hmm, I thought I replied to you already, but maybe not.

Anyway, I agree with Blackstone on the particulate counts: the numbers have stayed constant or even decreased, so that's the baseline for your engine. All engines are a little bit different. The whole point of UOAs is to establish that baseline for YOUR engine, YOUR driving habits, and YOUR driving style -- then watch for deviations.

Without getting TBN and TAN, it's hard to say if the interval was correct. TBN below 2.0 means you were possibly near the very end of the oil's life, but having the TAN would paint the full picture. Generally speaking, if TAN > TBN, you're overdue and the oil has turned acidic. In an ideal interval, you want the TBN to stay higher than the TAN. As the two intersect, that's when you change it. Going on TBN and viscosity alone, I think your interval is probably fine.

Call Blackstone and see if they have enough oil left over to run the TAN. It's only $10 more.
      04-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Som
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Sorry, yeah, I had written this post then saw the long thread collecting these. Figured it was a good data point for that thread (16k intervals) so I double posted.

Som
Appreciate 0