BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Your Best/Worst Police Experience

So I thought I would start a thread (not sure if this has been done before) about interesting police stories. It would be great to get you all to share your positive or negative (or hopefully funny) experiences with the police. Here's my story, hope you guys enjoy.

So I was on my way home from work, and this was after I had recently gotten my aftermarket IPE Innotech Exhaust installed. I exit off the Expressway and get onto one of the main roads in my city. I down shift hard for the corner and open the throttle on the exit hitting redline.....It was glorious. Sure enough a mile and a half down the road I see the red and blue flashing in my rear view mirror, and I start to sh*t myself a little because I really don't like having a bad record especially with a car that's notorious for "spirited" driving. The cop walks up to me and goes, "what in the hell did you put in this thing?! It sounds like a damn race car!" And I respond, "Haha sorry officer I just installed an exhaust system and I was just opening it up to hear the sound, it's addicting." He replies, "I bet, I literally heard you from a mile away and I was just waiting for you to fly by me. I don't need to explain to you why I pulled you over, do I?" I said, "haha no Sir, I was speeding." He then goes on to check my record and do the typical cop stuff on his computer with my papers. He comes back and says, "If you let me rev your car a little, I will let you off of this ticket with just a warning." I obviously oblige and he gets in and gives it a few revs with the biggest smile on his face. We go on to chat about how he is a huge BMW fan and owned an E46 M3. We spoke about exhausts and then he let me on my way. It's always fun meeting a chill cop and a fellow car enthusiast. Hope you guys enjoyed! Looking forward to reading your stories.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

The last time something like that happened to me, I got a summon's notice to appear in court. Luckily, my best friend is a lawyer who got me off the hook. Some of us really get is the worst.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
The last time something like that happened to me, I got a summon's notice to appear in court. Luckily, my best friend is a lawyer who got me off the hook. Some of us really get is the worst.
Good to have mates like that! That must have been a huge relief.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

No good stories like that here.

But I have some victories to share:

Aug 2012,
I cut into the dedicated left turn lane a bit early because I was jammed behind cars going straight. I punched it from a standstill and got going from 0-15 at full throttle and hit the brake to stack up behind the cars up front. bike cop didn't like that and cut across three lanes to get me. Clearly he couldn't say I was accelerating too much or speeding cuz I hit may 15 in a 35 so he got creative and wrote me down for driving on the wrong side of the road and cutting a double yellow. Ok...that's legitimate.

I did trial by dec. and got it dismissed.

Sept 2012,

PCH Malibu bike cop got me going 62 in a 45 on a saturday morning with zero traffic while I was on my way to head to the canyons to drive.

Did another trial by dec. and it was dismissed.

March 2013

squad car heard my glorious induction noise....I had likely crossed 45 mph in 35 and a split second away from slowing back down. Nevertheless, it looked and sounded like I was going much faster so he pegged me at 45 on a total standstill visual estimate and wrote down high rate of speed.

Did yet another trial by dec. and this too was dismissed.

Fast forward to Aug 2014,

I'm late for something extremely important and briefly went over 100 after being jammed in insane traffic for the prior 90 mins. Cop pulls me after I make an exit and claims I was evading and promptly gives me a ticket for 106 in 65. I just smiled back and said thank you officer and went on with my day.

This one required lawyers but I just paid them and forgot about the ticket. Last month they called me saying it's dismissed. I said thanks, was the cop in court? and he says yep he was. I say "good" and thank him and hang up.

Prior to this car I had a 335is and I never had cop issues. I think the last time I got a ticket before the M3 was in 2005. The problem is that this car needs to be at red line to be enjoyed. That is a perfect recipe for trouble with police.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
knevel
Private
Rep
Drives: your mom

You're lucky he didn't "drop" a bag of weed and a gun into the passenger seat, and then confiscated the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
My most recent funny cop story happened this past November while I was driving down one of the main 4-lane streets in town in my Viper about dinnertime. As I come to a stop at a light, another car pulls up to the right and revs the well-muffled V8 engine a couple times. I look over to see a big gold star on a white door and the CHP officer inside is looking straight ahead and grinning. He immediately pulled off into a restaurant parking lot but I had a good chuckle all the way home-- some of these cops actually do have a sense of humor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
My most recent funny cop story happened this past November while I was driving down one of the main 4-lane streets in town in my Viper about dinnertime. As I come to a stop at a light, another car pulls up to the right and revs the well-muffled V8 engine a couple times. I look over to see a big gold star on a white door and the CHP officer inside is looking straight ahead and grinning. He immediately pulled off into a restaurant parking lot but I had a good chuckle all the way home-- some of these cops actually do have a sense of humor.
Haha did you give him a rev back?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post

Aug 2012,
I cut into the dedicated left turn lane a bit early because I was jammed behind cars going straight. I punched it from a standstill and got going from 0-15 at full throttle and hit the brake to stack up behind the cars up front. bike cop didn't like that and cut across three lanes to get me. Clearly he couldn't say I was accelerating too much or speeding cuz I hit may 15 in a 35 so he got creative and wrote me down for driving on the wrong side of the road and cutting a double yellow. Ok...that's legitimate.

Sept 2012,

PCH Malibu bike cop got me going 62 in a 45 on a saturday morning with zero traffic while I was on my way to head to the canyons to drive.

March 2013

squad car heard my glorious induction noise....I had likely crossed 45 mph in 35 and a split second away from slowing back down. Nevertheless, it looked and sounded like I was going much faster so he pegged me at 45 on a total standstill visual estimate and wrote down high rate of speed.

I'm late for something extremely important and briefly went over 100 after being jammed in insane traffic for the prior 90 mins. Cop pulls me after I make an exit and claims I was evading and promptly gives me a ticket for 106 in 65. I just smiled back and said thank you officer and went on with my day.

This one required lawyers but I just paid them and forgot about the ticket. Last month they called me saying it's dismissed. I said thanks, was the cop in court? and he says yep he was. I say "good" and thank him and hang up.

Prior to this car I had a 335is and I never had cop issues. I think the last time I got a ticket before the M3 was in 2005. The problem is that this car needs to be at red line to be enjoyed. That is a perfect recipe for trouble with police.

That's a hell of an achievement getting off those tickets. Congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post

Aug 2012,

Sept 2012,

March 2013

Good gawd man did you use that God given charm on the cops!? 😄
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
Ruke
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

This happened last year.

Three trucks (one after another) in the center lane doing about 65 in a 55, me in the left lane, my exit coming up in about 1/2 mile off of the right lane. The trucks started to tighten up, so I decided to accelerate past them, switch lanes to the right, and then take my exit.

I accelerated past them, slowed down, and got in the rightmost lane. That's when I saw the biker cop hidden behind where the guard-rail ended, off the right shoulder of the road. He was already saddling up.

He was professional and to the point. His LIDAR gun showed a bit above 90. And since this was Virginia, that was no ticket, but a reckless driving summons.

Court date was one month later. Prosecutor wanted to put me in jail for 1 day plus another 30 days of jail suspended, a $2000 fine, and a 3-month license suspension. And since reckless driving is a Misdemeanor 1 in VA, a criminal record on top of all that.

Attorney found a suspect LIDAR calibration record, plus the cop admitted a lower visual estimate of speed than the LIDAR reading.

With that, plus a few other proactive steps taken before on my side, we managed plea-bargain the prosecutor down to a "lesser-included offense". The judge accepted the plea-bargain (it is at their discretion whether or not to accept it after all).

Result: Speeding ticket. $250 fine plus court costs. And $1500 for my attorney.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

This was not my fault but it's story.. Sorry so long. Enjoy:

After a LONG all-nighter (9am to 5am) at the office to finish a overdue project, I got home Friday morning excited to start my weekend. I tried to get to sleep but we had house guests and the wifey had to go to work.

On the verge of delirium, I offered to take our guests out to breakfast. It is about 730-8am. We (them) decided we wanted to take the M3.

Driving through our country roads, it was a beautiful day outside. As we get into the little town where we were going to eat, at the first store parking lot, a cop was sitting waiting for speeders (as he always does). As I drive by him, obeying the speed limit, he was staring me down looking for a reason. I thought nothing of it.

I pull in the breakfast place, pull into a parking spot, as I am about to open my door, I see him behind me with the red n blues on. At this point, I am actually angry and my blood is starting to boil because he has no reason to stop me.. Then I thought.. Window tint. Still a little angry, I have my tail between my legs and ready to except a summons.

He approached my window and said, "the reason I am pulling you over is you have completely different license plates". (we have plates front/back) I'm like, "what?" . Cop: "Yeah they're not even close" . Me: "there is no way!". (I washed my car so many times, I memorized my plates, and I know it like a birthmark on the back of your hand). Cop: "I swear to God they are different". Me, "can I get out and look?"

I walk to the back of my car and there is a license plate I have NEVER seen before. It was completely different! So much so that the cop noticed as I was driving by.

At this point, I thought he was going to take me in. The elusive plate has NO HISTORY WHAT SO EVER! I was so confused and the cop wasn't sure how to handle this. I begged telling him I have no idea how it got there. He could of thought I put it there to avoid traffic cameras. He took all my docs and checked me out and saw everything is clean and up to date but my heart is beating out of my chest.

He said don't worry, go get it fixed right now. Relieved, we went in and had breakfast, then off to the DMV.

I still have no idea how the plate got on there with the ///M frame. Someone play a joke on me or stole it? The DMV person said he has never seen a plate with no history. Thank goodness the cop was extremely nice and believed me.
      02-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruke View Post
This happened last year.

Three trucks (one after another) in the center lane doing about 65 in a 55, me in the left lane, my exit coming up in about 1/2 mile off of the right lane. The trucks started to tighten up, so I decided to accelerate past them, switch lanes to the right, and then take my exit.

I accelerated past them, slowed down, and got in the rightmost lane. That's when I saw the biker cop hidden behind where the guard-rail ended, off the right shoulder of the road. He was already saddling up.

He was professional and to the point. His LIDAR gun showed a bit above 90. And since this was Virginia, that was no ticket, but a reckless driving summons.

Court date was one month later. Prosecutor wanted to put me in jail for 1 day plus another 30 days of jail suspended, a $2000 fine, and a 3-month license suspension. And since reckless driving is a Misdemeanor 1 in VA, a criminal record on top of all that.

Attorney found a suspect LIDAR calibration record, plus the cop admitted a lower visual estimate of speed than the LIDAR reading.

With that, plus a few other proactive steps taken before on my side, we managed plea-bargain the prosecutor down to a "lesser-included offense". The judge accepted the plea-bargain (it is at their discretion whether or not to accept it after all).

OUCH!!!!! I never thought how speeding may be associated with so many other violations with such severe penalties. If you get caught wrong in some states, you are as good as a criminal I guess. So sad....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #13
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
We go on to chat about how he is a huge BMW fan and owned an E46 M3.
Maaaan if that guy's last name starts with a V, tell that deputy to get back to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post

After a LONG all-nighter (9am to 5am) at the office to finish a overdue project, I got home Friday morning excited to start my weekend. I tried to get to sleep but we had house guests and the wifey had to go to work.

On the verge of delirium, I offered to take our guests out to breakfast. It is about 730-8am. We (them) decided we wanted to take the M3.

Driving through our country roads, it was a beautiful day outside. As we get into the little town where we were going to eat, at the first store parking lot, a cop was sitting waiting for speeders (as he always does). As I drive by him, obeying the speed limit, he was staring me down looking for a reason. I thought nothing of it.

I pull in the breakfast place, pull into a parking spot, as I am about to open my door, I see him behind me with the red n blues on. At this point, I am actually angry and my blood is starting to boil because he has no reason to stop me.. Then I thought.. Window tint. Still a little angry, I have my tail between my legs and ready to except a summons.

He approached my window and said, "the reason I am pulling you over is you have completely different license plates". (we have plates front/back) I'm like, "what?" . Cop: "Yeah they're not even close" . Me: "there is no way!". (I washed my car so many times, I memorized my plates, and I know it like a birthmark on the back of your hand). Cop: "I swear to God they are different". Me, "can I get out and look?"

I walk to the back of my car and there is a license plate I have NEVER seen before. It was completely different! So much so that the cop noticed as I was driving by.

At this point, I thought he was going to take me in. The elusive plate has NO HISTORY WHAT SO EVER! I was so confused and the cop wasn't sure how to handle this. I begged telling him I have no idea how it got there. He could of thought I put it there to avoid traffic cameras. He took all my docs and checked me out and saw everything is clean and up to date but my heart is beating out of my chest.

He said don't worry, go get it fixed right now. Relieved, we went in and had breakfast, then off to the DMV.

I still have no idea how the plate got on there with the ///M frame. Someone play a joke on me or stole it? The DMV person said he has never seen a plate with no history. Thank goodness the cop was extremely nice and believed me.
Damn, Id be panicking as well. Do you have personalized plates? Those tend to get stolen a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
OUCH!!!!! I never thought how speeding may be associated with so many other violations with such severe penalties. If you get caught wrong in some states, you are as good as a criminal I guess. So sad....
Good God. Now I know which state to avoid at all costs.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruke View Post
This happened last year.

Bloody hell...didn't realize Virginia was that strict on driving offenses! Prison and a criminal record?! Sorry you had to go through that mate
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post

Wow that's insane. do you park your M3 in a garage at work and at home? Some guy might have stolen your plate to protect him/her from crimes they commit
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Not me, but...

Someone once posted a story on another M3 forum about getting pulled over by a d*ck cop that gave him stuff because he was jealous of the E46 M3 he was driving for being such a young "professional." Went on and on about how the cop pulled him over for no reason and impounded the car because "he wanted to drive it himself."

A few days later I was attending pre-wedding activities for a friend, and one of our mutual friend is a police officer. We all know each other because we're track junkies and BMW enthusiasts. The officer was telling us about various fun stories he encountered while on the job, and he mentioned that he pulled over an E46 M3 earlier in the week that was driving with a suspended license, open alcoholic container (and underage), with obvious non-CARB legal parts. He said the kid was lying through his teeth about his dad's car, when asked about the non-CARB parts he told the officer that they were STOCK and came on the car as purchased...Little did he know the officer drives an E46 M3 himself.

Then we put two and two together, and showed our cop buddy the thread on the other M3 forum. He started laughing immediately and goes "that's the guy I pulled over!"

Let's just say the version posted online, vs. the REAL story, is drastically different.

Moral of the story...Don't post stories about getting pulled over online. You never know who's reading it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #18
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Good gawd man did you use that God given charm on the cops!? ��
I couldn't charm a cop with $10 million. I say very little to them but I'm polite and courteous and I try to be super forgettable. And then I do the paper process to fight a ticket (never go into court). I don't see the cop after he hands me the ticket. Prefer not to see him anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #19
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Hit with batons by 5 officers for making a report at Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium and then arrested only to appear in Court 2 days later with an offer to drop all charges if I released the city of liability.
      02-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

Garage List
Only ever been pulled over twice in my C63, both times for speed/noise. Got out of both of them by giving them my business card and citing a bunch of technical issues relating to throttle control. One offered me a free tow.
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
Hit with batons by 5 officers for making a report at Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium and then arrested only to appear in Court 2 days later with an offer to drop all charges if I released the city of liability.
Rodney King? Is that you?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #22
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

No Rodney King here -- but learned a lesson about Baltimore cops.