BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Returns to Super Bowl With Two Clear Messages for America

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Returned To the Super Bowl Broadcast Tonight With Two Clear Messages for America
COMMENTS

Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – February 6, 2011… BMW returned to the Super Bowl broadcast tonight after a 10-year hiatus, unveiling a strategy that forcefully communicates two competitive advantages of BMW.

The first commercial is a poignant piece focusing on BMW’s economic commitment in America as told through the voices of the company’s associates at its manufacturing facility in South Carolina. The second commercial uses humor to showcase BMW Advanced Diesel vehicles as a cleaner, efficient alternative to other types of vehicles.

“We have two clear messages we would like millions of Americans watching the Super Bowl to know about BMW,” said Dan Creed, Vice President, Marketing, BMW of North America. “Even in the depths of the recession, BMW continued to invest in America, and as the global benchmark for clean diesel technology, we’re challenging stereotypes to show our advanced diesels are part of the future.”

Both these messages will be carried through BMW’s marketing efforts throughout the year. The Super Bowl advertisements also mark the debut of actor Chris Pine from Star Trek in 2009 and Unstoppable in 2010 as the voice of BMW.

The commercial underscoring BMW’s commitment in America, dubbed Defying Logic, showcases the company as a significant contributor to the economy and a vital part of the American automobile manufacturing industry. It was filmed in BMW’s Spartanburg, South Carolina manufacturing facility where all BMW X3, X5 and X6 vehicles are produced and exported to 130 markets worldwide. The advertisement features the new BMW X3 vehicle, which was also designed in America and offers consumers 10 million unique configuration options.

Instead of actors, real-life BMW associates and citizens of the local community, including the Spartanburg High School football team, are featured in the commercial. In the ads, real plant associates note that during the height of the recession, BMW intensified its commitment to U.S. manufacturing with a $750 million plant expansion, as part of an overall $1 billion investment in its U.S. operations. BMW Group’s direct and indirect employment in America is more than 50,000 jobs.

Changes, the second commercial, takes a playful jab at America’s misperceptions of diesel and highlights BMW’s Advanced Diesel vehicles as a cleaner, high-performance, efficient alternative. The ad, set to David Bowie’s iconic melody “Changes,” depicts a truck driver bellowing black smoke, an older-model diesel vehicle sputtering up a hill, and pedestrians surrounded by clouds of filthy exhaust. In the spot, the BMW 3 Series Advanced Diesel makes a grand entrance highlighting its smooth, clean, efficient performance and powers away leaving them all in its dust.

The Super Bowl is one of the world’s most televised sporting events, reaching more than 100 million viewers in one night. BMW last advertised in the national broadcast of the Super Bowl in 2000. Both commercials aired in the second quarter and can be viewed on BMWUSANews.com, Facebook.com/BMWUSA, and YouTube.com/BMWUSA. Video commentary from Trudy Hardy, Manager, Marketing Communications and Consumer Events, BMW of North America, will also be available on BMWUSANews.com.

BMW is also running an interactive contest on Facebook tied to the BMW X3 Commitment in America Super Bowl advertisement. The contest, dubbed “The X3 Matchup,” gives viewers the opportunity to guess the configuration of the BMW X3 featured in the advertisement for a chance to win a Grand Prize two-year lease on the vehicle. In addition, the winner will receive a trip for two to BMW’s Spartanburg manufacturing facility to pick up their vehicle and attend a two-day performance driving school at the BMW Performance Center. BMW fans can enter on the BMW USA Facebook page (Facebook.com/BMWUSA) through Thursday, February 10.

The commercials were developed by kirshenbaum bond senecal + partners, the media buy was coordinated by UM and the online components were created by Dotglu.

COMMERCIALS BELOW:

EXTENDED VERSION:

SUPERBOWL VERSIONS:

Trudy Hardy, Manager of BMW Marketing Communications for BMWNA narrates one of the BMW super bowl ads and explains the meaning behind the ad spot - to highlight and emphasize BMW's commitment to the US market and its Spartanburg plant.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Though diesel is a much better alternative than the hybrid Prius, Insights etc., the ad exaggerated things a lot.

I really hope BMW makes a diesel M car. Not.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
first commercial was not very informative, so waste of money there. 2nd commercial was good for telling america buying x3 is supporting US jobs
      02-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnezzz View Post
first commercial was not very informative, so waste of money there. 2nd commercial was good for telling america buying x3 is supporting US jobs
Maybe not informative for you, but there is still a massive amount of misinformation spread by people who only know diesels of old. Just look at the state of diesel in America today. I think BMW clearly showed the old stigma, and the truth.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

Lighten up, don't you recognize the humor in the first ad. The second is spot on. Invest in America where production costs must be much lower than Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
It's very short, but brings the message!
I really like the D commercial
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

i like that first commercial for the 335d. awesome, also got to love the promotion of the x3 being built in america and designed in america. great move BMW love it

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

The second commercial would have been perfect if it would have said>

Designed in Germany
Built in America *With German Specifications*

If I want a car designed and built in America I would go buy myself a Ford Escape.
      02-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
How about bring the 5 series diesel to US!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coni View Post
Maybe not informative for you, but there is still a massive amount of misinformation spread by people who only know diesels of old. Just look at the state of diesel in America today. I think BMW clearly showed the old stigma, and the truth.
Yep, the old stigma is very much alive and well in the US. I took some co-workers out in my 335d a couple weeks ago. At first they didn't believe me when I told them it was a diesel (we were already driving).

"Aren't diesels dirty?"

Not anymore!

Most of the general public (that don't keep up with the auto industry) still didn't know that BMW even sells diesel cars in the US.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
How about bring the 5 series diesel to US!
F10 535D, mmmmmm, that would be a nice replacement for my aging 545, similar performance with all that mpg and tank range!

" If you bring it, they will come"

I had a smirk on my face during the diesel commercial, then a buddy turned to me said "Is that the same as the loaner you had?, that was the most impressive car I've ever driven" Yes, yes it was!

I did not like the X3 "Designed in America, built in America", thats word play, leave that to the domestic manufacturers to play up. I think if you're buying a foreign car you arent particularly concerned about loyalties to the local motor industry. ? .

Last edited by WULFFZA; 02-06-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

1st commercial is cool.

2nd is w/e. I'd rather pay more and have my BMW built in Germany than USA.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
BMW_03
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 xDrive30i On Order

I really think these commercials lacked creativity.. I really liked Audi's...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

I agree with the direction and humor of the diesel commercial. I am waiting for them to apply the diesel engine to the X3 and thats when I'll make my move to purchase.

Also its true, America needs to invest in America. But even though BMW is not American owned, I'd still buy BMW before American. Only due to the fact of reliability, efficiency, variety, and solid build of their vehicles. American automakers have made their vehicles in a way that you purchase and have to repurchase in three to four years....body falls apart, plastic interior pieces fall off, and only thing is the engine goes a bit.

My 2003 325i still running at 94k plus and everything is intact and still getting 32+ mpg....just saying.....

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
haha, I like the diesel commercial: clear message, and has a bit of humor in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBolo View Post
The BMW commercials were good but very boring IMO.

I did think it was funny taht I got a few text saying, and I quote, "Hey man, did you like the new BMW 3?"

HAHA I had to explain that it's been out since '07.

I guess in that regard it was good showing America that BMW builds sporty diesels and brings them to the US. The guy that sent the text is a car guy too and obviously had no idea about the 335d.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Actually, there are a lot of markets where there is a cachet to being manufactured in America. You only have to look at the success of Cannondale bicycles and Heihz foods overseas. It has traditionally not held true in the automotive industry, unfortunately. German concept and engineering plus built in USA is a salable package, especially in the SUV segment.

Diesels are cool. I had a 335d loaner, it rocked. Darn thing has some real low end thump. In a 5 series that motor would be perfect. I would not be surprised to see a 535d in a year or two as the fuel economy rules tighten in the US. It's unfortunate, but we are being forced to buy efficient cars buy executive fiat, not economic necessity.
      02-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

does this mean they're gonna bring the X3 diesel to the US...i hope so
      02-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
AlphaBeta
Systems Malfunction Technician @ Pentagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

I thought that these were hilarious commercials too:

You can find more here: http://www.superbowl-commercials.org/

For some reason, the embedded videos aren't showing up, so I put the links instead

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBolo View Post
Lol why? Typical Audi bullshit. Bashin on all the other car brands like the insecure car brand that they are. Lol, grow up Audi.

Id drive a S over a A8 any day. Pop up navs?? What is this, an 05 g coupe? com'on. "Old luxury"- Oh the irony.

The d add was great.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #21
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Why would you outlay that kind of money for an ad spot, and then make these kinds of ads? The diesel message...it's going to take a lot more than that un-inspiring ad to change a mindset. And as for the X3, perhaps because I am not American, I was like "So?"
I don't that many consumers are going to say...wow...forget about the Q5, the X3 is built in America. And if they do make that connection, how many buyers for a European car are going to see that as a plus?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #22
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
how many buyers for a European car are going to see that as a plus?
Just about every God loving 'merican that lives in this great nation, unless you're the CEO of a corporation that depends on exploited outsource labor to widen company profit margins. I think the X3 ad has many strong selling points, and would change the minds of someone buying a domestic luxury SUV to buying a domestically built euro SUV of better build quality.

I do agree that the ads were a bit understated, but that's exactly what BMW stands for. It's called integrity, and is something to be respected (not like those brand bashing audi and infiniti commercials). BMW doesn't need gimmicks, humor, or demeaning messages in their ads. they let their cars speak for themselves, and utilized super-bowl spots purely for awareness.

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0