BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #23
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
Yeah...I dunno.
My driveway has a steep angle at the bottom, so I pull out of the garage...I can hear the tick tick tick. When I crank the steering, and take the bottom of the driveway at an angle, I get a creaking noise, like that described in other rear differential threads.
Once I'm onto the road and straight again, I can hear the tick tick tick again when going slow. At speed, not so much, as if its doing it, it's not loud enough that I can hear it over the engine.
When I say slow...slow...not fast enough for like a rock or something in the tire to be making the noise. It's definitely coming from something in the rear of the car.
Like I said...I have an appt Fri...hopefully they can figure it out.
This is the first symptom I observed on my 2011 E92 M3 diff issue. I'd estimate one click about every rotation of the rear wheels, and I would hear it only at very low speeds (parking lots, etc). It then progressed to the heavy clunking sound/feel I described in the reply to GregW. How has your situation worked out?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I've noticed a slight rubbing sound coming from the front passenger side when corning at low speeds. Very intermittent and hard to replicate. Can this issue also occur in the font of the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
I've noticed a slight rubbing sound coming from the front passenger side when corning at low speeds. Very intermittent and hard to replicate. Can this issue also occur in the font of the vehicle?
No.

Must be something else, since your car doesn't have a front diff. Could be something simple like dirt/rocks caught in the front brakes, or some detached plastic piece... You need to put it on a lift and look around, rubbing noises should be diagnosed as early as possible.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

What's the exact temperatures ?
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
No.

Must be something else, since your car doesn't have a front diff. Could be something simple like dirt/rocks caught in the front brakes, or some detached plastic piece... You need to put it on a lift and look around, rubbing noises should be diagnosed as early as possible.
It's like a deep hum tone, only happens on a turn. I believe it may happen on both left and right turn, has only happened a few times so it's hard to replicate.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
I have the same problem indeed and last week they replaced the differential fluid however it still makes the grinding noise sometimes especially when i first start the car. I don't know if i should bother telling them again or just ignore it? I just want to know whether it is a normal issue or not??!!?!?
Find an empty parking lot, and start going around in a circle. Do 10 turns(tight) to get the oil to work into the diff. After 10 turns and a test, do 5 turns and test again. Repeat 5 times until the diff the oil is worked into the diff.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #29
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
It's like a deep hum tone, only happens on a turn. I believe it may happen on both left and right turn, has only happened a few times so it's hard to replicate.
I agree that this sound can be hard to localize. Like you, I heard this sound coming from front, back, left, right, high, and low. I finally localized it to what sounded like the trunk area - almost like I had a bowling ball back there wreaking havoc in tight turns. A little research on M3post helped a LOT. What I found that seemed to make the issue happen more frequently was low speed, tight turning radius, and cooler/cold temperatures.

I had the differential treatment done at around 12,000 miles (going from memory), and it helped but the sound didn't go away immediately. I'm just over 25,000 miles now and the sound is completely gone.

Best of luck!
      07-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I remember this occasional scraping sound from my e46 M3 on slow, sharp turns, but on my new M3 I get a boomy rumble type sound from the rear of the car when doing sharp slow speed turns when the car is cold. Just noticed it a few days ago. My car has 3000 miles now. Is this the same thing? Definitely not a scraping sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
ditto...same with mine Is this acceptable?
I have the boomy rumble type sound too when cornering at low speeds. It's pretty loud and I can even feel it in the car. It's almost as if you're driving over a rumble strip. Weird thing is it just started at around 20,000 miles. Mine is a 2008. I had the differential oil changed with the specific part # referenced in this thread, but the noise continues and hasn't gotten any better.

I also have this scraping/rubbing noise when reversing at low speeds when the car is cold. Kind of like rubber scraping against a wet surface. The BMW technicians said these noises aren't harming anything, but if I want it gone, I have to replace the differential. This is obviously something I want to avoid as my car is out of warranty.

Anyone else have any more info? Are the noises really benign?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Are the noises really benign?
A bit of noise from the diff is fine...mine has been doing it from new and for the last 45000 miles without problem. Resist any suggestion to have the diff oil with extra friction modifier.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #32
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
I have the boomy rumble type sound too when cornering at low speeds. It's pretty loud and I can even feel it in the car. It's almost as if you're driving over a rumble strip. Weird thing is it just started at around 20,000 miles. Mine is a 2008. I had the differential oil changed with the specific part # referenced in this thread, but the noise continues and hasn't gotten any better.

I also have this scraping/rubbing noise when reversing at low speeds when the car is cold. Kind of like rubber scraping against a wet surface. The BMW technicians said these noises aren't harming anything, but if I want it gone, I have to replace the differential. This is obviously something I want to avoid as my car is out of warranty.

Anyone else have any more info? Are the noises really benign?
I've heard both noises in my car at various times. Nothing to worry about really.

Your diff fluid with booster takes a couple hundred miles to start working. My diff was making all kinds of noises, (already had it replaced once) had the stealer swap the fluid, and gradually they went away and now its silent.

Give it a little time to see if it works. Also, if your not the original owner of your vehicle, pull its history to see if the diff has ever been worked on or even replaced. Often the part will carry its own warranty, independent of your comprehensive expired warranty. If its not a new part, you may have claim that the issue was brought up while under warranty but not fixed correctly. Some stealerships will honor your claim and fix the diff under goodwill.

GL
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #33
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I failed to mention that I am the original owner and the differential has not been worked on or replaced. Glad to hear these noises are quite common and shouldn't be cause for concern, even though they do sound pretty horrible. Thanks for the quick replies!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
MTROUBLE93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 interlagos blue M3

Same problem here.. Mine is really bad and I could never re create the sound to the dealer. Because by the time u get there it's already all warned up. So they think I'm hearing things
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I tried the driving in tight circles 20 times in each direction and the rumble noise goes away. But then it comes right back on the next drive after the car's been sitting overnight.

Can anyone answer this. When I leave my driveway at work each day, I have to go out at an angle so the bottom front bumper doesn't scrape the road. Often times, coming out at this angle, I have to stop for traffic. While stopped, the car is such that the right rear tire is hanging in the air, while the other 3 tires are on the ground. Then when I slowly engage the clutch to leave, I also hear the grinding/rumbling noise. I assume the noise is happening because the right rear tire (which is in the air) is spinning much faster initially than the left rear tires (which is on the ground), until all 4 tires are on the ground and rolling.

The question is, does this scenario done repeatedly harm the differential?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
luiscarlos59
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

mine

Mine is a 2009 with 40kms and the "rubbing" sound comes from the rear left side of the car when I make right turns and the car is hold or cold but it only happens the first time I try to make the right turn, then it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
Bradryan101
Rep
Drives: C6 corvette

Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashme
When my M3 is cold, I get an odd grinding sound from right rear corner when I take a corner at slow speeds (turning at a traffic signal), thought winter tires were installed wrong, wrong size, or something and rubbing, but also happens with stock tires. It is more noticeable when the vehicle is cold, undetectable after 20 mins or so of driving. I have 12k miles on the car, just started noticing it regularly as the weather got colder. Any ideas?

Thanks
Test
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #38
EIS 9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Gray Coupe

Replace the differential fluid with the new stuff per the Technical Service Bulletin referenced earlier......... then work the fluid in by driving tight circles. My noise didn't vanish until really working in the new fluid. No issues at all anymore.

The new fluid is pretty expensive (3 bottles, each about the size of a RedBull, cost about $65 each??) so best to do this under warranty. The groaning/rubbing noise I had was at low speed when the car was cold and the issue was very intermittent. Never heard it before 18K miles and haven't heard it since the fluid swap at around 18.2K miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

I have the same low frequency humming noise from the back. Only in tight cycles, like in a parking garage. T does not matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The new fluid causes more slip, to quiet the clutches, which may not be a good thing in the long term for the differential.
      10-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
GoKuA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Had similar noise but not sure if it's the same as OP's; At first, it would go away after the car is warmed up. But a few months later, it was worsen and the noise wouldn't go away. I brought the car to my local dealer and they found out it was the rack and pinion oil leak problem. I had fixed out of pocket because warranty was already expired. What an expensive repair!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #42
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

this is diff noise, had similar situation, dealer took care of it
      11-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #43
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Mine has 23k on it, just started noticing it too. I notice it most going down the ramps in the parking garage. I can hear it, but also really feel it in the seat. Coincidentally, it has cooled off quite a bit here in the last few weeks, so maybe mine is somewhat temp related...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I have the same problem. Noise somes from the back of the car when cold. Goes away in a few miles as car warms up. But this grinding noise i hear is when i go straight, not only when i turn, and this is more pronounced under the load or when i take the foot off the gas.
Maybe i have something else going on?
Appreciate 0