BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

08-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Let's hear it! I can't live without...

As the title says, let's hear what detailing product or tool you cannot live without... let's stick with detailing products/tools!

Personally I cant live without my pressure washer with foam lance. Creates such a good pre-wash/rinse. Greatest way to keep up with regular washes.

I figured this would be a good way to share some of the favorite products people have out there and why they like them so much. And of course... if you cannot seem to narrow it down to one, we'll accept a couple of products if necessary!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
As the title says, let's hear what detailing product or tool you cannot live without... let's stick with detailing products/tools!

Personally I cant live without my pressure washer with foam lance. Creates such a good pre-wash/rinse. Greatest way to keep up with regular washes.

I figured this would be a good way to share some of the favorite products people have out there and why they like them so much. And of course... if you cannot seem to narrow it down to one, we'll accept a couple of products if necessary!
I can't live without my detailer's phone number.

I kid, I kid -- JFlo, I'm looking to get a setup like yours, which pressure washer/foam lance are you using?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

I use this after hand wash(quick and easy) and the result of it with pics>>> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838860

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post

I kid, I kid -- JFlo, I'm looking to get a setup like yours, which pressure washer/foam lance are you using?
Haha you're too funny! I've been wanting to find a good local detailer (Northeast FL) but no luck so far.

Anyways, I am using a Husky pressure washer (small electric). I really want a Karcher, slightly more powerful but the true difference is in the amount of water it supplies; I cant remember how they measure that. For the foam lance I am using the Pinnacle sold at Autogeek.net. It has been good to me and they sell different converters so you can fit it to most pressure washers.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I use this after hand wash(quick and easy) and the result of it with pics>>> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838860
Agreed! Good quick detailer, I ran out and decided to try some different ones and I havent found anything better. Tried CG's and Mother's and they were ok but not great. Want to try Griot's or AMMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Where is your detailer located btw, I noticed you're in North Central FL.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where is your detailer located btw, I noticed you're in North Central FL.
Lately I've been thinking about switching. A buddy of mine has his E46 3-series done at *gasp* Mercedes. I must say, they do an excellent job, engine bay and all. I may have to hang my head in shame and see if they'll do my M3. My local BMW dealer also offers the service, but they charge you $200 and it's not even done 100% by hand. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha you're too funny! I've been wanting to find a good local detailer (Northeast FL) but no luck so far.

Anyways, I am using a Husky pressure washer (small electric). I really want a Karcher, slightly more powerful but the true difference is in the amount of water it supplies; I cant remember how they measure that. For the foam lance I am using the Pinnacle sold at Autogeek.net. It has been good to me and they sell different converters so you can fit it to most pressure washers.
Yeah, I've read you want a unit with a high GPM (actual amount of water coming out), pressure isn't all that important. Problem is most high-GPM washers have very high PSI as well -- from what I read you have to use larger nozzles to reduce the overall pressure while still pumping out a ton of water. That combo is said to give you the best foam -- I've been looking at the MTM lance, looks like a solid unit. Probably will pair that with a decent gas washer so I can use it around the house/driveway as well as on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Believe or not the mf towel kind of a given so dont know if that counts but if not then the leaf blower
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

cant live without my metro vac master blaster. Makes drying so much easier
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
+1

I also have a bunch of MF towels and a quick cleaner in case I get a bird bomb during the day!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I've read you want a unit with a high GPM (actual amount of water coming out), pressure isn't all that important. Problem is most high-GPM washers have very high PSI as well -- from what I read you have to use larger nozzles to reduce the overall pressure while still pumping out a ton of water. That combo is said to give you the best foam -- I've been looking at the MTM lance, looks like a solid unit. Probably will pair that with a decent gas washer so I can use it around the house/driveway as well as on the car.
Ya, Ive been thinking about my next pressure washer... It's funny, Im actually born and raised in Oslo Norway and moved here about five years ago and the electric pressure washer selection is rather slim compared to back in Europe. I do like the gas driven ones, and as you pointed out they are great for other home chores, however I am just afraid that with the higher PSI you can easily bow off some paint if you come in at the wrong angle at the wrong spot. Keep me posted about on what you might decide on!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Believe or not the mf towel kind of a given so dont know if that counts but if not then the leaf blower
I think MF towels is a good one! We all know that some high quality ones are key in order to get good results. I do enjoy my leaf blower as well though, such a small investment (I got the cheapo kind at HD) but yet such a useful and effective tool!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Quote:

Personally I cant live without my pressure washer with foam lance. Creates such a good pre-wash/rinse. Greatest way to keep up with regular washes
What's the brand name/model of your pressure washer? Is that foam lance a component of the pressure washer? I'm trying to look for a good reliable power/pressure washer to avoid going to the car wash station. I think the brush used and towels used to dry the car leaves that swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
What's the brand name/model of your pressure washer? Is that foam lance a component of the pressure washer? I'm trying to look for a good reliable power/pressure washer to avoid going to the car wash station. I think the brush used and towels used to dry the car leaves that swirl marks.
The pressure washer is a small electric from Husky. Purchased that from HD for about $100, does the job just fine!

The lance is purchased separately right here: http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-foam-cannon-hp.html

I like it that they sell separate converters depending on what washer you have, and also if you decide to get a new one down the road you can just get a different converter.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
The pressure washer is a small electric from Husky. Purchased that from HD for about $100, does the job just fine!

The lance is purchased separately right here: http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-foam-cannon-hp.html

I like it that they sell separate converters depending on what washer you have, and also if you decide to get a new one down the road you can just get a different converter.
You can get the same foam cannon directly from the manufacturer for alot less. This is the one i bought for $60

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F...tm+foam+cannon
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Griot's Spray Wax. I mist it on my cars after washing and before final drying.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
You can get the same foam cannon directly from the manufacturer for alot less. This is the one i bought for $60

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F...tm+foam+cannon
Hmm, I wish I knew earlier. Well well at least it is holding up well, going five years now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
Griot's Spray Wax. I mist it on my cars after washing and before final drying.
Griot seems to have alot of great products I have yet to try
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Talking

1. Microfiber Washing Mitt
2. Microfiber for interior cleaning and exterior drying
3. Einzett 1Z Cockpit Premium
4. Sonax Wheel Cleaner
5. P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner
6. Big Blue Brush for cleaning wheels
7. Flex

These are a few of my favorite things.......
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
1. Microfiber Washing Mitt
2. Microfiber for interior cleaning and exterior drying
3. Einzett 1Z Cockpit Premium
4. Sonax Wheel Cleaner
5. P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner
6. Big Blue Brush for cleaning wheels
7. Flex

These are a few of my favorite things.......
Thanks for sharing! I couldnt help but notice number 4 and 5. Do you use both? I have currently been using the P21S and I love it, however I was going to try out the Sonax and see if it does the same job. If it does I might consider changing since it appears to be chaper if you buy in bulk.... thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Talking

To reply, I use Sonax Full Effect about every 4 washes or whenever I remove the wheels completely for a full detail. (Or whenever I swap over to winter wheels from summer wheels). I mention this because you use this cleaner when your wheels are in bad shape - if you look through the detailing forum, it's the stuff that goes on green then turns red on the wheels when it reacts with the brake dust. To me, and this is IMHO; the Sonax P21S Gel is gentler, also the gel consistency ensures that it does not run off the wheel faster than you are able to agitate the cleaner. So, I use the Sonax P21S Gel in between the more serious cleaning, it does work well, and I typically buy all my supplies, in bulk, when the detailing stores have their 15% off sales.
Appreciate 0