BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

How often to replace injectors?

Wondering how often you guys replace your injectors?

I'm at 92k miles and about to do the rod bearings, and wondering what other preventative maintenance I should tackle at this point.

Also, do you guys use any fuel additives to clean injectors?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
Adriano917
09 M3 e93 VF650, e30 e85, Remus, Federal’s 595rs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

You can send them out to fuel injector clinic, I’ve never heard of somebody replacing injectors just because.
      12-02-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
No need to replace. Send them to RC to have them cleaned and flow tested. Injectors fail much more regularly and are replaced on direct injection platforms, rare to have a failure in port injected cars.

We have seen injectors down to 65% of original injection amount - many overlook this as a potential maintenance item. Good that you're thinking about it

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 2
Space Fox1042.00
      12-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #4
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
No need to replace. Send them to RC to have them cleaned and flow tested. Injectors fail much more regularly and are replaced on direct injection platforms, rare to have a failure in port injected cars.

We have seen injectors down to 65% of original injection amount - many overlook this as a potential maintenance item. Good that you're thinking about it
Thanks!

I checked out RC Engineering's website, they are in SoCal... so not too far away, and will return the injectors within 24hrs, which is awesome.

Do you know what type of injectors the S65 runs? Top feed, hose feed or side feed?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Thanks!

I checked out RC Engineering's website, they are in SoCal... so not too far away, and will return the injectors within 24hrs, which is awesome.

Do you know what type of injectors the S65 runs? Top feed, hose feed or side feed?
This is the injector. Very simple little device.

Make sure you change the 2 o-rings when you service the injectors. There are no adjustemts or servicable parts. The injector service will run a bunch of concentrated cleaning agents through the injector to remove the swarf. They will also test to see if they hold a proper seal (which is not always accurate).

That said, the cost to ship and test an injector is not far off the cost of just buying new ones. For $300 you can get 8 new injectors and all of the o-rings and clips from FCP. Shipping, testing and o-rings is likely going to run you at least $250 (160 for cleaning plus tax, $40 for fast shipping total, $50 for o-rings and no new clips). Hell, the lower o-ring is $5 each (perhaps the shop that services the injectors can throw in o-rings for a better price).

You can clean them yourself with a few cheap accessories too. Check out this video:

Attached Images

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 3
      12-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

This is awesome. Thanks for posting this!

Indeed cleaning myself sounds like something I would rather do.

So I understand that the shop would flow test them as well, but they will not adjust them to flow better?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is awesome. Thanks for posting this!

Indeed cleaning myself sounds like something I would rather do.

So I understand that the shop would flow test them as well, but they will not adjust them to flow better?
I do not think there is any way to adjust anything on these cheap injectors. Perhaps I am wrong about that and I would love to hear from someone who knows the absolute answer. Looking at the injector, there is nothing that can be taken apart or adjusted/replaced.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Just found these kits online for $10-$12, which seems to be better than making your own injector cleaning contraption.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Scharbag2620.50
      12-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

injectors are cheap enough from fcp to just replace them with new bosch units

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

I considered getting my injectors serviced but found a new bosch set with clips on eBay from seller partscontainer for less than $280. Didn’t seem worth the effort to pull the injectors and have downtime.
      12-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

What's the labor like to replace these or is this a DIY?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:56 AM   #12
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

If you've been down to the TA's before or themostat then it's a DIY. plenum off, remove wiring from injector, slide back spring clip.. (don't drop the spring clip). unbolt fuel rail. lift rail from engine with injectors. Remove sand/dirt from around the injectors before removal as best you can.
drain pressure off fuel rail. Disconnect line. capture fuel runoff. cap line.
flip rail around remove injector clip, remove injector.
oil new o-rings. insert injector, injector clip, reassemble.
Some have said you can do it without disconnecting the line but I don't see how unless you ran the fuel out of the system first by pulling fuel pump fuse.
I don't have the document handy so If I missed something please correct me guys.

Also I'll second the suggestion above - Why pay to pull old injectors, ship them, service them, when an entire brand new set with clips can be had right now for under 300 bucks? There was even a deal over the blackfriday weekend for them at FCP.

Last edited by TX; 12-04-2020 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2020, 01:21 AM   #13
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

If you've been down to the TA's before or themostat then it's a DIY. plenum off, remove wiring from injector, slide back spring clip.. (don't drop the spring clip). unbolt fuel rail. lift rail from engine with injectors. Remove sand/dirt from around the injectors before removal as best you can.
drain pressure off fuel rail. Disconnect line. capture fuel runoff. cap line.
flip rail around remove injector clip, remove injector.
oil new o-rings. insert injector, injector clip, reassemble.
Some have said you can do it without disconnecting the line but I don't see how unless you ran the fuel out of the system first by pulling fuel pump fuse.
I don't have the document handy so If I missed something please correct me guys.

Also I'll second the suggestion above - Why pay to pull old injectors, ship them, service them, when an entire brand new set with clips can be had right now for under 300 bucks? There was even a deal over the blackfriday weekend for them at FCP.
Indeed the price of new ones is comparable to paying for servicing old ones.

Although I'm going to clean them myself and save $300 until I really need to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:47 AM   #14
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Something to consider when cleaning injectors is it doesn't always address a passing issue.. solenoids stick for different reasons. Wear and tear, bad seals and physical hang ups.. cleaning is good for performance but wear is wear... as others have said if they're cheap enough new is new. I've had an injector flood a cylinder on a motorcycle before after 22k miles on a Honda CBR. Also consider duty cycles, if anyone is gonna stick a battery on one to hold it open, research the duty cycle to make sure it won't overheat it. I know some solenoids are designed to burn out when energized for too long like a an ice maker in a household refer, modern valves will burn after two minutes.
      12-04-2020, 02:15 AM   #15
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Something to consider when cleaning injectors is it doesn't always address a passing issue.. solenoids stick for different reasons. Wear and tear, bad seals and physical hook ups.. cleaning is good for performance but wear is wear... as others have said if they're cheap enough new is new.
Indeed, and that being said we go full circle to my original question of this thread... How often to replace injectors.

I'm at 92k miles right now... Wondering if 100k is a good milestone for new injectors.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      12-04-2020, 02:22 AM   #16
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Something to consider when cleaning injectors is it doesn't always address a passing issue.. solenoids stick for different reasons. Wear and tear, bad seals and physical hook ups.. cleaning is good for performance but wear is wear... as others have said if they're cheap enough new is new.
Indeed, and that being said we go full circle to my original question of this thread... How often to replace injectors.

I'm at 92k miles right now... Wondering if 100k is a good milestone for new injectors.
I edited my post.. yeah after 100k for $300 buy new. Not a bad idea at all, good post!
      12-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

On a related note. I've heard of some engine blocks destroyed silently. Internet theories say either a bad fuel pump, bad fuel filter, or most likely stuck injectors. There could be no truth to this as it's internet stories. Or could be bad tunes at work.

Would the car throw a check engine or have noticeable problem in engine feel if this issue was to arise?

My mileage is lower but I do plan to do these someday. Don't want to be wasteful replacing them at 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:30 PM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Set of eight injectors for sale at rmeuropean for $200. Great price, grab em if you need em.
      12-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #19
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Set of eight injectors for sale at rmeuropean for $200. Great price, grab em if you need em.
I always wonder how some of these online retailers get some of these parts so cheap.

How can we verify they aren't Chinese knock-offs like so many other items online?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #20
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
I always wonder how some of these online retailers get some of these parts so cheap.

How can we verify they aren't Chinese knock-offs like so many other items online?
Bosch injectors will have a hologram security code on the box which you can run through their website to verify. Assuming someone hasn't faked that too. I suppose anything is possible.
      12-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #21
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:

There's no real reason why they are so cheap, they are cheap because they are supposed to be this cheap.

BMW Service and Parts are a business itself in which the dealerships / BMW NA can dictate the price on certain parts due to frequency of order/replacement and premium.

They also can control the market when parts for certain models become scarce. I can tell you some of the prices for parts from the dealership are more expensive today, than they are 5 years ago. A good example of this are the coilpacks and ICV unit.

Might not be for everything but for certain particular parts you see. Over the years production of some parts have also declined so I'm sure whatever is left the prices also fluctuate.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #22
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:

Check the holograms. I’ve used rm a number of times and they sell legit items. Here are some pics regarding the hologram and authenticity check.
Attached Images