BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

View Poll Results: Keep the M3 or get back into a P-car?
Keep the M3 60 56.60%
Get back into a 997 36 33.96%
Get a Cayman S 10 9.43%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

02-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #45
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
that's depend on what porsche. before I bought my m3 which you can said I wasn't as bias back then and didn't know much about these performance cars, so I can speak from a non car person's perspective. I saw 911/boxter/cayman and m3 at car dealer, I looked at the m3 more often than those porsche and i thought it look better and more manly. I always though of porsche as nerdy, girly, outdated, etc. now if it is a gt3 which is kinda rare in canada, then I agree with you due to the rarity factor and it does looks good with all the racy bits such as wing, rims, etc.

everyone don't take the girly/manly comment as an insult though, i was just trying to state my perception before owning the m3. Just to verify my perception, I asked my wife (in her late 20 right now) about the green gt3 rs, she thinks it looks rice. I asked her about the cayman, she thinks it looks pretty, but in a girly way. boxter, she think it is a gay car. Keep in mind she is not a car person. but when she saw my current m3, she instantly felt in love with the color at night, the rims, the shape of the car. I verified this with my friend, nience, nephew and generally they have the same though like my wife about porsche/bmw.

So my point is just because us as car enthusiast think a car looks good, doesn't mean the general public see it the same way. I myself love the green gt3 rs, but many average joe think otherwise.

often though, the public perception is usually spot on because we as car enthusiast are very bias to the car that we own. so if you really want to know if your car looks good, ask a non car person and they will give you a very honest answer.
Joe Average see a generalisation in cars and by this I mean they see them not as much as a certain version but as a model or even a brand if they are totally uninterested in cars.

Take my aunt as an example, to here an M3 isn't a sporty version of a 3 series, it's just a BMW, that is it. So to those type of people the Porsche regardless of if it's the cheapest or dearest model will only be a Porsche, but they will still know that a Porsche is better status wise than a BMW.

Next take normal bloke who isn't into cars but still likes them, to him an M3 looks like a sporty 3 series but he will have a hard time noticing the difference between a 335i and an M3. But he will definitely know that a Porsche is higher up the pecking order.

So while some Porsche will look manly, rice racer, girlie or plain gay they all have a status beyond any BMW, Audi or Mercedes simply because they are Porsches. But as a bonus they also happen to be nicer to drive as well, so that was why I said if you don't need the practicality of the M3 it's a no brainer to switch to the 997.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #46
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I think there are some big differences between an M3 and a 335i which can be observed very easy, even for the "non car fans" persons...
I don t know if a GT3 can be a very pleasant car for daily driving! but an M3 it will be for sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #47
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

I personally have the itch to get a cayman S and mod with the tpc turbo, and later a engine swap to the x51 3.8.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 03:42 AM   #48
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Sold my dct m3 for a 2009 c2s with pdk. The pdk is so much better than the dct on the m3 and the brakes never fade on track days unlike the m3. The m3 is a good car, but just not as good as the c2s.
Appreciate 0