BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

01-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i like chrome trims ..and some black rims are just cool!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #24
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
With few exceptions, production cars are mass produced compromises designed by committee, and then modified for production. And with few exceptions, i can't think of a mass produced compromise that can' tbe made better, or at least more individual, and less "off the rack."

Of course if you like living in a community of identical tract houses, and making sure you wear the exact same clothes as all the people in your clique, then I guess it makes sense to leave a mass produced car stock, like all the rest.

That's only because you're young and haven't learned the skills yet. I've built cars nearly from the ground up, but as hot rods and as race cars. And of course, I modded my E38 myself (not to the extent of my '63 Mercury Comet convertible, which is getting a custom frame, custom suspension, and a modded Lexus 4.0 liter DOHC V8)
Are you butt hurt because I don't like the style of the rims you put on your car? You are trying awfully hard to prove some point, I'm still not clear what that point may be, even though this topic is purely a subjective matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #25
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

CF on wheels looks tacky. Black wheels are OK, as long as theyre not gloss black (IMO that'd be too shiny when matched with a chrome/polished lip).
      01-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #26
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
you got something against black rims? Racist.
They're not black rims they're african-american rims.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #27
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
That's because the chrome/polished lip like in my car, has been a style that has been around for, oh, 5 decades... Of course, painted wheels have been around that long or longer, too, so they must be "played out." As have factory wheels. What's left? Hmmm...
Don't get me wrong, on certain cars with certain wheels I think it looks great. I'm mostly referring to black wheels with a chrome lip (sorry i didn't say that in my previous post), this style used to be fairly rare a few years back, and that is not the case today.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Chrome is so 2001
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 03:57 AM   #29
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
+1 on crome lips/bkack rims. Polished lip on silver or polished wheels is ok though. I think all black rims are the 'anti-chrome' of wheels. It is just the current trend. I prefer the gunmetal look, something in between.
+1 on everything!
      01-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #30
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Are you butt hurt because I don't like the style of the rims you put on your car? You are trying awfully hard to prove some point, I'm still not clear what that point may be, even though this topic is purely a subjective matter.
Just trying to see if you can justify your position vis a vis the auto industry as a whole, to see if your opinion is an educated one. If your opinion is an educated one, then it's worth listening to. If it's NOT, then...

A lot of people are really narrowminded and closed off, lacking in experience (and lacking in the desire to gain that experience). That makes for some very strong negative opinions on things, that might be different if they actually had any knowledge. Unfortuntely, they also usually think holding tightly to an opinion is more important than learning things and expanding their experience/knowledge base. They prefer to be narrowminded, thinking that that justifies whatever favorites they may have. Having favorites is a good thing. Hating on things that aren't those favorites in order to justify having those favorites is elitist and narrowminded, neither of which are respectable positions.

Liking certain colors, for example, is an innate process, based on natural causes (same with things like disliking, say, spiders). Cars are not a natural phenomenon, and liking/disliking them or portions of the automotive spectrum is a learned process, one that can be changed as new knowledge and experience/understanding is achieved. While both processes are subjective, one is natural, and one is not.

In your case, you not only were hating on long standing and respected trends that have logical fundamentals, you were dismissing one of the largest portions of our hobby, modifying cars ourselves. You didn't just say "I wouldn't modify a car myself" you said you "didn't approve of modding a car yourself." A huge difference. While to you it may have been merely "expressing an opinion," it was in fact an insult to everyone who has successfully modified and built custom cars, hot rods, and race cars over the last hundred years. That sort of narrowmindedness can only be achieved through a huge lack of experience and knowledge. And while it stands little chance of being corrected, it still needed to be adressed

Last edited by ChrisV; 01-13-2009 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #31
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I hate chrome lips. I also don't like rims with deep lips. Come to think of it, I seldomly like aftermarket rims.
+1

The only aftermarket wheels I like are ones that give a factory look. Nothing else.

I also sometimes like wheels that are gunmetal/dark finish. That's all. I dont like deep lips and the WORST is black rims with chrome lips. Thank god I'm not the only one that feels that way on the forum
      01-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #32
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Just trying to see if you can justify your position vis a vis the auto industry as a whole, to see if your opinion is an educated one. If your opinion is an educated one, then it's worth listening to. If it's NOT, then...

A lot of people are really narrowminded and closed off, lacking in experience (and lacking in the desire to gain that experience). That makes for some very strong negative opinions on things, that might be different if they actually had any knowledge. Unfortuntely, they also usually think holding tightly to an opinion is more important than learning things and expanding their experience/knowledge base. They prefer to be narrowminded, thinking that that justifies whatever favorites they may have. Having favorites is a good thing. Hating on things that aren't those favorites in order to justify having those favorites is elitist and narrowminded, neither of which are respectable positions.

Liking certain colors, for example, is an innate process, based on natural causes (same with things like disliking, say, spiders). Cars are not a natural phenomenon, and liking/disliking them or portions of the automotive spectrum is a learned process, one that can be changed as new knowledge and experience/understanding is achieved. While both processes are subjective, one is natural, and one is not.

In your case, you not only were hating on long standing and respected trends that have logical fundamentals, you were dismissing one of the largest portions of our hobby, modifying cars ourselves. You didn't just say "I wouldn't modify a car myself" you said you "didn't approve of modding a car yourself." A huge difference. While to you it may have been merely "expressing an opinion," it was in fact an insult to everyone who has successfully modified and built custom cars, hot rods, and race cars over the last hundred years. That sort of narrowmindedness can only be achieved through a huge lack of experience and knowledge. And while it stands little chance of being corrected, it still needed to be adressed
i guess since i havnt had "years" of experience in modifying cars, i cant have an opinion.

you dont need to get all defensive just because some people are hating on your wheels. if you like it then who cares......
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #33
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

im not a fan of black rims at all.

they always look like they need to be cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
exo-ak-dk
Black Magic Wheels - BMW
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
you got something against black rims? Racist.
lol hahaahah
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #35
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I love the 355 spider, but I am disgusted by the looks of the 599 GTB. Should I watch my back because the 599 designer is going to kick my ass because I don't like his design?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #36
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
I love the 355 spider, but I am disgusted by the looks of the 599 GTB. Should I watch my back because the 599 designer is going to kick my ass because I don't like his design?
No, you should watch your back for me

But I love the F355! One of the best stock exhausts up until that time and the GTB was always the 'poster on my wall' car
      01-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #37
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I'm with you on the chrome - can't stand chrome anything (wheels, trim, grill, faux side vents).
I like black rims, but I like matte black. Not a fan of the gloss painted black, especially combined with a chrome lip.
My thoughts exactly
      01-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #38
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I am with you all the way on the black rims. To me, they make even the nicest car look cheap...like it lost all it's crappy cheap plastic hubcaps, only worse.

Polished lips on black rims are pretty ugly to me too, but not as ugly. It looks like it only lost the middle cheap crappy hubcap but not the "trim ring" (if anybody remembers "trim rings", they put them on low end cars in the '80's to hide the fact that it was a low end car and bling up the edge of the ugly steel rim... think '80's Cavalier Type 10).

Chrome I can live without too, but it doesn't affect my visual senses the same way
      01-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #39
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

everyone should buy V710s. i did.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #40
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

^^^

WOW! M-sport plus them wheels = hot. Why didnt you post pics before?! lol

Edit: I noticed it's all mentioned in your sig looks great!

Last edited by hks786; 01-14-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #41
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
They're not black rims they're african-american rims.
Hey at least people are getting black rims, no one gets yellow, Asian American rims.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #42
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
sick wheels BL
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #43
spanishooligan
Crazy red bimmer
Spain
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 japanrot

Garage List
2006 E90 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Meh. Chrome lips aren't horrible. Neither are black wheels. They're just trendy. They'll get old soon.

You must hate the 911 GT2's wheels.
whats wrong with these! they arent black , chrome or have a lip!!
Attached Images

Sig by Nikki
Japanrot 320d
18x8'5 m6 replicas
COOL GAME---->http://spanishooligan.mybrute.com
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #44
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishooligan View Post
whats wrong with these! they arent black , chrome or have a lip!!
you can order the rims to match the color of the car, and the lip is chromed.
Appreciate 0