BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Differences between Euro air filter and aftermarket filters?

The Euro air filter isn't oiled, correct? If that's true, what's the difference between the Euro filter and the other dry filters on the market? I could get the Euro filter for $52 on ecstuning.com.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
The Euro air filter isn't oiled, correct? If that's true, what's the difference between the Euro filter and the other dry filters on the market? I could get the Euro filter for $52 on ecstuning.com.
Nipple length at the top of the filter and filter media. US filters have a charcoal liner embedded, euro models are paper.

A euro filter will not fit on a US car and will need a new button machined - like what AA is doing.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
Tom already hit on the difference between the Euro-spec and US-spec versions of the BMW OE air filter. An since it's made of paper, it's not an oiled filter.

The other two differences are:

a) The modified OE Euro paper filter (that AA sells) is more restrictive than the dry high-performance aftermarket air filters on the market now. Non-oiled (dry) aftermarket air filters use multiple layers of cotton gauze material to filter out contaminates. The dry aftermarket air filters are slightly less restrictive to air flow. They increase the air flow by approx. 50% over the stock paper filter. But...there is a slight downside to using the dry aftermarket air filters. They allow more dust to pass into the engine.

b) The modified OE Euro paper filter cannot be reused, while the dry aftermarket air filters can be washed and re-used for years. (you never have to buy another replacement)

There are many pros and cons to consider, when deciding on which dry air filter you want to buy.
      09-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

True, but there is a point of diminishing returns. The Euro filter dramatically outflows the charcoal impregnated US filter. No?

I believe there may be a 1-2HP increase by using the reuseable gauze based filtration. But, you do pass more dust.

Is this worth it? Especially considering you get the majority of the available gain from the Euro filter??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Tom already hit on the difference between the Euro-spec and US-spec versions of the BMW OE air filter. An since it's made of paper, it's not an oiled filter.

The other two differences are:

a) The modified OE Euro paper filter (that AA sells) is more restrictive than the dry high-performance aftermarket air filters on the market now. Non-oiled (dry) aftermarket air filters use multiple layers of cotton gauze material to filter out contaminates. The dry aftermarket air filters are slightly less restrictive to air flow. They increase the air flow by approx. 50% over the stock paper filter. But...there is a slight downside to using the dry aftermarket air filters. They allow more dust to pass into the engine.

b) The modified OE Euro paper filter cannot be reused, while the dry aftermarket air filters can be washed and re-used for years. (you never have to buy another replacement)

There are many pros and cons to consider, when deciding on which dry air filter you want to buy.
      09-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Nipple length at the top of the filter and filter media. US filters have a charcoal liner embedded, euro models are paper.

A euro filter will not fit on a US car and will need a new button machined - like what AA is doing.
Do you happen to have any pics of the two side-by-side and unmodified? I'm wondering if this is something I could do myself as opposed to paying for the AA one. Thanks either way for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
They increase the air flow by approx. 50% over the stock paper filter. But...there is a slight downside to using the dry aftermarket air filters. They allow more dust to pass into the engine.
Well, that's 50% (or 49%? ) more air flow your STOCK engine DOES NOT need, my friend; THAT's the issue. People using those 'racing' dry or wet filters are letting A LOT more dirt into their engines (no free lunch), for a paltry gain of maybe 1 to 2 HP (and at the very top of the rpm range). Just not worth it IMO, especially if you live in a dusty place, but to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
I believe there may be a 1-2HP increase by using the reuseable gauze based filtration. But, you do pass more dust.
Is this worth it?
Nope (by a long shot) . Especially on an expensive engine like ours. I'd switch to the AA stock replacement if you're concerned with those few ponies .
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Do you happen to have any pics of the two side-by-side and unmodified? I'm wondering if this is something I could do myself as opposed to paying for the AA one. Thanks either way for the info!
Keep in mind that by the time you replace the paper filter once, you've already exceeded the cost of a cotton-gauze filter (like Macht Schnell) - which is reusable.

I cannot post a DIY on a competitors product, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Well, that's 50% (or 49%? ) more air flow your STOCK engine DOES NOT need, my friend; THAT's the issue. People using those 'racing' dry or wet filters are letting A LOT more dirt into their engines (no free lunch), for a paltry gain of maybe 1 to 2 HP (and at the very top of the rpm range). Just not worth it IMO, especially if you live in a dusty place, but to each his own.
You are aware that nearly all Baja 500 trophy Trucks all use cotton gauze oiled filters - and see the absolute worst conditions that your M3 will never see?

A properly oiled filter is perfectly safe, there's nothing to be paranoid about. The filters are the biggest (proven) bang for the buck mod for your M3.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0