BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainofjjj View Post
Yes I plan on fighting but I know that they will blame the spring install, he alluded to that within the first few mins of me bringing the car in.

I have never dealt with BMW US, if i pay and then call them can they help? Is there any recourse or am I screwed?
DO NOT PAY!

If you pay you are SOL. Paying means you agreed to the repair and most likely you will not end up being reimbursed from BMWNA. It will be easier to have the dealer pursue a warranty claim then get a reimbursement check from BMWNA.

The dealer needs to make this a warranty claim, period. Talk to the General Manager and tell him that springs do not affect wheel bearings.

Can you take it to a different dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

What does the bearing look like. Is it all loose and sloppy?
How could it be the springs as you just had them installed. What kind of mileage could you have on the car with those springs, 75 miles?

If you don't get any satisfaction with BMW NA, I would take them to small claims court. Usually (depends on state) $50 filing fee, you represent yourself (bring your bearing with you if it looks like above) and make your case.

Did they explain why the wheel bearing would give you a DSC and ABS warning lights?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

Nice, i read "DO NOT PAY" as i was driving away....after paying. I was in a catch 22 of sorts. Had i had time to think it through I might have taken a different approach. With my wedding in a month, a house I'm selling and with work going ballistic i just don't have time to dick with the car or leave it at the dealer for days.

The tech told me that the new BMW bearings have a another piece for the wheel sensor that is very sensitive. I looked at the bearing pieces and I just don't see anything remarkably different from any other car, but then i don't work on these everyday.

Anyway, i appreciate all the responses and help. I think right now i'm going to show the old bearing to the shop and see what they will do in terms of compensation. If i had let them fix the bearing in the first place I wouldn't have had to pay but I just didn't trust them since they most likely broke it to begin with. However, no one can ever know for sure. The tech at the stealership told me these new bearings are very sensitive and that BMW contemplated putting warning stickers on them.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #26
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Well, you've got too much going on and sometimes it's just best to "chalk it up to experience."

I agree with the other posters here though. The bearing is inside the hub and is essentially protected from all the outside elements and impacts. Where would they put those stickers? I'm sure they probably get damaged during the removal process but short of that how else would they get damaged except for some really big impact, at high speed, on the street. Hopefully you are good for a long time now.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

So after a spirited drive today both the amber DSC and Brake lights are back on.
I'm so damn frustrated....

I've been racking my brain for ideas on this.

Dealership said it was a bearing and charged me a $1k.
Indy BMW shop says no way and that i got ripped off but they have no idea either.

Could it be ride height? I have it dropped almost all the way on all sides.

I can't find others having the same issues and it's only happened since the KW install.

My next move is to called IND and see if they have any ideas.
After that its going back to dealer. They claimed it was a bearing so let's see what they say now.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Just out of curiosity.....why would you buy a car with ZCP, which has EDC and a lowered ride height, if you were planning on installing aftermarket suspension parts?

ZCP is really an option for people who specifically DON'T want to mod the suspension and/or the wheels.
+1 Exactly why I went for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1 Exactly why I went for it.
That's great feedback, thanks. Seriously?

Almost everyone buys extra wheels for the track, non issue.
Once you drive any M3, ZCP or not, you'll realize it needs stiffer springs. During transitions you really feel the weight of the car. I did springs because I like EDC and it's a cheaper alternative for the time being, or was.

Should I have gotten ZCP, maybe not but that's not why i started the thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

So i've been searching on other BMW forums for this issue and found something interesting. Every other model has hundreds of posts on the DSC/ABS/Brake "trifecta" as they call it. Seems either our cars aren't old enough or they engineering our cars better. I'm waiting to here what a few others say but it's going back to the dealer later this week when they can get me a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

My car is on KW Clubsports dropped a good bit. Ride height should not have anything to do with it. I still think it has something to do with the wheel speed sensors. Bearings wouldn't cause that problem IMO. Unfortunately, most people at dealerships are idiots. My local dealership is actually pretty good now under new management, but I feel your pain.

I remember when MartinD bought his 2011 E90 M3 he had some similar issues on the track. I don't know if it was resolved before he ended up just trading the car back in.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

Thanks Ashley. I'm not dropped nearly as far as some cars i've seen so I doubted it was that but i'm grasping at straws. I'm taking it back in this week sometime.

This is word for word what the service manager emailed me this morning.

"The bearing has a impulse sensor (magnetic sensor built into the bearing), any type of impact can cause the bearing’s magnetic sensor to go bad."

I'm not sure what kind of "impact" happened when the springs were installed but if that's correct then i somehow impacted it when i drove to dinner friday and to breakfast yesterday. Oh, and i washed the car too.

My fragile little Elise has been through 50+ track days, a flood and Alabama's roads and it's just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #33
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Sorry that your initial repair did not fix the issue.

I would not pay anymore money to the dealership for the repair as the wheel bearing was completely fine that they replaced. Misdiagnosis on their part.
Appreciate 0