BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #287
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
$500 for a set that allows me to run my engine with peace of mind is fine by me. This bearing issue is the only thing giving me pause for keeping this car for a long time.

+1. I've spent $500 on much dumber things in my life (a few Bachelor parties come to mind ). For those of us planning to keep the E9x for a long time, I'd gladly shell out that much for a solution that would fix this once and for all.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #288
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Oh boy !
One with 6K miles and now you with 20K miles ,actualy new S65 engines !
It's realy unbelievable ?!?! Think it's time to yell and that all together....."HELLO BMW" !!! Who's next !!!.....I.... or you guys who are reading this ??? Who knows ???And that with our "Ultimate Driving Machine"
BS....My A$$ !!!
I said it on the previous page,still think it's a incorrect fitting and maybe even mounting problem with the bearing failures ,and that from the factory !
And not to forget....damn man feel realy sorry about your luck,but lucky to get a new S65 on warranty !
BTW....The brand calls BMW !So BMW how many more before to take action...the big recall,and when they do nothing i will never buy a BMW again!
Ohhh yes the new ones are out now,so they can forget the "old" S65 V8 5H1T !!!
But a customer who owned 3 BMW 's they have lost right now !!! > ME <
How can we all get together to start a petition recal?, send it to Headquarters. Issue many of us are dealing with, our love for BMW and the S65 Engine, List of names, cars, Vin #'s Etc. I say lets start this up! We arent talking about 20-30 cars here...numbers are going up.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #289
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
How can we all get together to start a petition recal?, send it to Headquarters. Issue many of us are dealing with, our love for BMW and the S65 Engine, List of names, cars, Vin #'s Etc. I say lets start this up! We arent talking about 20-30 cars here...numbers are going up.
No worries... they just know about the "bearing 5H1T" and blow engines that's for sure !
They know how many engines they replace on warranty even on cars built end of 2013 and not only members on this forum ,but also people from all over the world !
Think it's just a question of $$$$$ .... in my case Euro's !
To be honest it's a very good idea of starting a petition , but i've not a single idea how to do it , or to start this ! Because i've never done this before ,but let me tell you...when this is a start i'm already in...because i'm damn pissed off...angry and tired of this... thinking that this can happen with our engines too !But need to say my engine runs perfect, the question is ..for how long ?
To be honest i can't drive my car anymore with a relaxed feeling of enjoing the power, i'm only afraid to see my redline,and that in a ///M car !
Personal i'm thinking that we need a Email address of the ///M Headquarters(Germany) and start with that and make a thread on here with all the petitions and send it to ///M Germany !
So let's hope it's a start...........please keep posted !!!
Not sure.... but we can always start here and ask what we can do to get the ///M Email address > http://www.bmwcoop.com/contact-us/

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-21-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #290
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Shouldn't this issue be brought up to the company that issues recalls independently from automakers? Then again if this goes public then bmw (embarrassed and angry) might not give out some of the "good will" engine replacements that we heard of and might even screw the owners like gm with the ignition recall.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #291
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Shouldn't this issue be brought up to the company that issues recalls independently from automakers? Then again if this goes public then bmw (embarrassed and angry) might not give out some of the "good will" engine replacements that we heard of and might even screw the owners like gm with the ignition recall.
Let them get angry that's what they deserve after how many years knowing about the bearing 5H1T ! That's exactly what we need...".it calls attention" !!!

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #292
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Even if its not a full engine replacement. They should honor the Warranty of the motor to atleast 100K miles. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Chevorlet did an amazing feat with their new Camaro Z28. If anything goes wrong with the motor "even on the track" it is fully warrantied! here is the link below to that...read about it guys. BMW knew they were throwing us a Race bred motor, why not back us up just alittle bit as the consumer?...now im sure they new about the hiccups it would cause...

http://www.torquenews.com/106/warran...let-camaro-z28
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #293
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Guys, I don't know how you want to take this. I had a one-on-one conversation with BMW's technical head in Australia today, and finally had an opportunity to raise the bearing concern issue. I said, I plan to keep this car even if I bought the new one, and he quickly stopped me to say, that's what most owners who have ordered the new, one are doing.

Given that, I need a peace of mind that this engine is not going to explode on me given the issues worldwide. He assured me there is no such issue, and if I "properly maintain" the car and "keep the oil fresh" I will not have any issues. But he also pointed out, not to forget that the car is getting old, in my case will be seven years in November, I need to expect issues, but definitely not bearing issues. The most important thing to remember was to follow the warm up procedure which he said was "critical" to the longevity of the engine. He said, "do these things" and you will be fine. In the event of a problem with the engine, BMW Australia will look at individual case-by-case and look after the customer.

My service advisor pointed out that my car hasn't seen the dealership since the warranty ran out because I do my oil and break fluid change. He said, that's fine, as long as you keep your receipts for the genuine parts and 10w-60 oil purchased through the dealership, and note against the car on the dealership computer the date each oil change was carried. This will give them an ongoing record of the car on the dealer computer. I think that's fair.

Most importantly he said, 10w-60 was the right oil for the engine, and do not swap it for anything else. Period.

The other things he discussed, unfortunately, I cannot post it on a public forum.

From my point of view, I couldn't have got a better assurance. Hope this helps, at least for the Australian forum members.
      07-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #294
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Guys, I don't know how you want to take this. I had a one-on-one conversation with BMW's technical head in Australia today, and finally had an opportunity to raise the bearing concern issue. I said, I plan to keep this car even if I bought the new one, and he quickly stopped me to say, that's what most owners who have ordered the new, one are doing.

Given that, I need a peace of mind that this engine is not going to explode on me given the issues worldwide. He assured me there is no such issue, and if I "properly maintain" the car and "keep the oil fresh" I will not have any issues. But he also pointed out, not to forget that the car is getting old, in my case will be seven years in November, I need to expect issues, but definitely not bearing issues. The most important thing to remember was to follow the warm up procedure which he said was "critical" to the longevity of the engine. He said, "do these things" and you will be fine. In the event of a problem with the engine, BMW Australia will look at individual case-by-case and look after the customer.

My service advisor pointed out that my car hasn't seen the dealership since the warranty ran out because I do my oil and break fluid change. He said, that's fine, as long as you keep your receipts for the genuine parts and 10w-60 oil purchased through the dealership, and note against the car on the dealership computer the date each oil change was carried. This will give them an ongoing record of the car on the dealer computer. I think that's fair.

Most importantly he said, 10w-60 was the right oil for the engine, and do not swap it for anything else. Period.

The other things he discussed, unfortunately, I cannot post it on a public forum.

From my point of view, I couldn't have got a better assurance. Hope this helps, at least for the Australian forum members.
Still doesn't do anything for me unfortunately. I know of a few members that are religious about engine warm up, do oil changes preemptively and use nothing but TWS, and they still had rod bearing issues.

Not to start another fight, but the M3 is probably quite a rare car in Australia, relative to the US anyway. It's the same deal here in South Carolina. I'll bet you I could go to my local dealership and ask them frankly if they've ever heard of rod bearing issues on the S65, and they'll probably say no. Doesn't mean the issue does not exist. Plus look at how long it took for BMW to admit that the E46 had serious subframe issues

Just my 2 cents. I don't believe that all S65's are ticking time bombs, but I do think you do need to maintain them properly and that it is possible that you'll have a rod bearing issue. And if you do, deal with it as best as you can. To me, it's absolutely worth it since I plan on keeping this car for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #295
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

My 2 cents are... that words are no assurence for our bearings !
But that we all need to start action for this worldwide problem of our S65 !
But alone i can't..........

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #296
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
... but the M3 is probably quite a rare car in Australia, relative to the US anyway. It's the same deal here in South Carolina. ...
Couldn't agree more. Yes, and more care is taken when it comes to M cars by majority of the owners given how much we pay to own one of these things here in Australia between $150k-200k depending on the option list.

$hit does happen and if I am in that position after everything I have done by the book and beyond, then so be it. I am not going to lose any sleep over it.
      07-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #297
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My 2 cents are... that words are no assurence for our bearings !
But that we all need to start action for this worldwide problem of our S65 !
But alone i can't..........
I don't know how one could start a global campaign against a giant like BMW. I think goodwill is still available on these engines if it can be proven that it has been well looked after. That's the point. I think the moment they smell a fish it's out of the window and you're on you own Philippe.
      07-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #298
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I have already worked with Clevite for a redesign of the bearings. Minimum order is 1000 shells (62 cars) worth at a cost of 20k for the first batch. That includes a 8k setup and tooling fee that will not be charged on subsequent production runs. I just dont have the coin to foot the bill upfront and then have to worry about getting stuck with a bunch of engine bearings.
That works out to about $322 per car. If 61 other people sign up, then I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #299
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Is be in for 4 sets of bearings if this happens!
      07-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #300
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how one could start a global campaign against a giant like BMW. I think goodwill is still available on these engines if it can be proven that it has been well looked after. That's the point. I think the moment they smell a fish it's out of the window and you're on you own Philippe.
The problem is here that after 2 years it's out of waranty !
And about goodwill that word they don't even know !
I'm afraid that they think the S65 is old 5H1T by now ,knowing about the new proud the F80-82 !
Like you said above the BMW guy said your car is 7 years and old now but think with low miles on it,so for me personal that's not old and your car is in top condition ! So i'm not agreed with this BMW guy !
Personal i'm thinking that the only thing that can makes us strong is not an individual but by mass...and mass means we all together with or without bearing failures or blow engines !
Think we don't own a Kia but an ///M car ! And they know that,but again it's all about $$$$$$ ,and maybe they don't have a solution for the damn bearings !
Also check this out > http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16329564

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #301
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I have already worked with Clevite for a redesign of the bearings. Minimum order is 1000 shells (62 cars) worth at a cost of 20k for the first batch. That includes a 8k setup and tooling fee that will not be charged on subsequent production runs. I just dont have the coin to foot the bill upfront and then have to worry about getting stuck with a bunch of engine bearings.
Count me in for a set.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #302
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Here is the problem if a big vendor gets involved. They are not going to do things that they do not make money on. So after the first run the cost would drop to about 200 a set. Because it is a specialized part I venture to say a set of bearings is going to run $500 from a vendor.
I'm in, may even be interested in an investment opportunity. Make me the Canadian distributor. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #303
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm afraid that they think the S65 is old 5H1T by now ,knowing about the new proud the F80-82 !
Like you said above the BMW guy said your car is 7 years and old now but think with low miles on it,so for me personal that's not old and your car is in top condition ! So i'm not agreed with this BMW guy !
Personal i'm thinking that the only thing that can makes us strong is not an individual but by mass...and mass means we all together with or without bearing failures or blow engines !
Think we don't own a Kia but an ///M car ! And they know that,but again it's all about $$$$$$ ,and maybe they don't have a solution for the damn bearings !
Also what we need to remember is that BMW is there to sell new cars and make the numbers count to brag about being the #1 in the world. That's all they are interested in. We don't count for anything right now and that's the bottom line. I am only trying to add value to the posts and not start another dogfight. I am over this bearing issue.
      07-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #304
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Here is the problem if a big vendor gets involved. They are not going to do things that they do not make money on. So after the first run the cost would drop to about 200 a set. Because it is a specialized part I venture to say a set of bearings is going to run $500 from a vendor.
What happens after the intial run? Who own's the rights to those bearings? If one were to own those bearing's design, then it's very possible to make some money off of them in a pretty short time if they sell for $500/set and cost $200 to produce after the initial 62 sets, and there's no chance for competition since you'd own the design.

Another approach is to file complaints with the NTSB saying you lost power or the engine blew up while driving. I'm sure it helped BMW do the initial Software update to the DCT when it wouldn't shift into a gear while going slowly and then stepping on the gas. Lost of power or dripping oil while driving is a definite danger.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 07-21-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #305
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Why not do a kickstarter?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #306
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What happens after the intial run? Who own's the rights to those bearings? If one were to own those bearing's design, then it's very possible to make some money off of them in a pretty short time if they sell for $500/set and cost $200 to produce after the initial 62 sets, and there's no chance for competition since you'd own the design.

Who ever does the initial order will be the owner of the design and manufacture of the bearings, that is part of the initial setup and design fee
      07-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #307
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Yes, and more care is taken when it comes to M cars by majority of the owners given how much we pay to own one of these things here in Australia between $150k-200k depending on the option list.

$hit does happen and if I am in that position after everything I have done by the book and beyond, then so be it. I am not going to lose any sleep over it.
Perfectly said. If you want to keep the S65 for the long term, you just have to realize that you might potentially deal with it. Personally, I won't be losing any sleep over it too.

Quote:
It's possible for sure. Look at the E46 subframe recall (it was in the US only though). My 328i had a subframe tear. It was a 2000, and it was found in 2009, with 140k miles or something like that. They had to fix it under recall, and it probably cost as much as the car itself in labor to do that job.

The only problem is that the 3er subframe tear was a pretty common problem, whereas the S65 is much smaller production, and the failure rate is not THAT high.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #308
TL866
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Guys that its a crime, engines out whit less 30k milles, and bmw what say? "isnt bmw fail", for sure that no...

We must make a website like m3motorfailures.com or else where like blog, for facebook page whit all the info + videos , then over spam bmw whit it, every event from bmw, spam it, over spam bmw whit the engine failures then maybe, maybe they make a rod bearing campaing .
Appreciate 0