BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #23
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Actually no. First of all, I have a MINI Cooper now, so girls don't approach me Second, if they approach, and if I tell them how tires and wheels work etc, they'll run away
erhanh, what happened to your m3? i remember you got yours a month or two before mine earlier this year no (so you got it around jan/feb)?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
erhanh, what happened to your m3? i remember you got yours a month or two before mine earlier this year no (so you got it around jan/feb)?
Traded it. I had a thread in here as well. In short, I decided that I need to have 2 cars for DD and track duty. M3 is a very nice car obviously, but driving a very fast car slow around town (and getting 15mpg) didn't work for me. At the track, it is fast and all, but the weight is there. Also way too soft. And the worst part, it will cost me a lot of money to track it, since I decided to spend 10+ days/year at the track.

So I have a MINI now, which is my DD, but for the time being I'm also using it at the track. I can't decide what I want as a track car.. Not sure if I want something street legal, or a full on race car.. And the good thing about MINI is it is an amazing car to learn high performance driving, because there is no power to make up for your mistakes in the corners..

Tracking the M3 costs like $600-$800 per track day (not including event fee) whereas MINI costs about $200.
      11-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Width matters not diameter, ideally the smaller wheels requires less energy to spin it and keep it spinning.

M3 GT uses a 300-60/18 tire. Might be a rule for ALMS, but all ALMS GT cars use 18s.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...8eee858110.pdf

same with the F430 GT

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...498ec068c2.pdf

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...b68c079937.pdf

baffles me that the new F458 has 20's. Lots of manufactuers use 19s b/c of looks or b/c they need to fit carbon ceramic brakes on the cars.

Last edited by mdosu; 11-16-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0