BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #23
JZ69
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 DCT

I think this answers the OP question.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Built on the same line as the rest of the 3 series. Now, some people may think that's a bad thing, as hand-built sounds more exlusive, but as someone who works in manufacturing, I think it's a good thing.

Basically, with a moving assembly line, you have stationary workers and the product moves from one station to another, as each station adds value. The bottom line is that each work does the same set of tasks over and over and over again, constantly improving their process along the way. This in turn increases quality, productivity, while driving down cost.

The other adavantage is parts are standardized from one M3 to another. Nothing is filed, reamed, sanded to "make it fit," that so often happens on hand-built cars.

As it is, you have enough variability in the production process, hence why some cars haev had problems, whereas others haven't. Hand-building the car would only add more variability, which is what you should be eliminating in any production process.
Great points
(Unless we're talking about Detroit. All the crack and meth hangovers on monday morning??? I'd rather have a machine puting my stuff together!!)

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #25
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Built on the same line as the rest of the 3 series. Now, some people may think that's a bad thing, as hand-built sounds more exlusive, but as someone who works in manufacturing, I think it's a good thing.

Basically, with a moving assembly line, you have stationary workers and the product moves from one station to another, as each station adds value. The bottom line is that each work does the same set of tasks over and over and over again, constantly improving their process along the way. This in turn increases quality, productivity, while driving down cost.

The other adavantage is parts are standardized from one M3 to another. Nothing is filed, reamed, sanded to "make it fit," that so often happens on hand-built cars.

As it is, you have enough variability in the production process, hence why some cars haev had problems, whereas others haven't. Hand-building the car would only add more variability, which is what you should be eliminating in any production process.
Have you viewed the CD info package that you should of received when you purchased your m3? I can't recall the exact info but in those CDs/DVDs, it is explained how and where the m3 is built. I remember them saying that they are built on the same assembly line as m3 cup cars. The chassis of the m3 is torqued down to different specs than those of the regular 3-series.

However, my point is that according to BMW, m3s are not built on the same assembly line as the regular 3-series.

-SZ

Update

Just watched the video, it is on the BMW website. Basically, after the M prototypes are built, the M3 production cars are manufactured in Regensburg (spell?) on the same line as "series cars" and the chassis is bolted down using special machines essential in achieving the rigidity required of all M cars.

Is a series car a cup car or just a regular 3-series? All Ms are made this way according to the vid.

Ref: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eryvideos.aspx

Vid: BMW M Facilities

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 09-03-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #26
Deniz1210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2011

The only M car that's build by hand is the prototype - as with any other prototypes, including 1 series. Any other M3 afterward is built by robots.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I also think robots and machines do a better job than humans at assembling cars/engines, with one exception: I'd like pistons to be matched to cylinders. The tolerances are still high enough that if you get a 'low' piston in a 'high' cylinder, you get increased oil consumption and/or engine noise, and in some cases (GM's LS1/2 engines), piston slap. That's one reason why many engines consume more oil than others IMO, even when the rings are supposed to prevent that. Yes, it'd be best to build engines to better tolerances to avoid that step, but that adds money too (better machines, etc). Due to cost cutting, we'll have to get used to engines consuming oil and most cars/engines not getting built 'by hand' at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
Gubbins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph328 View Post
Whoah wait ... if there is no God?
There is no M3?
Alternatively, if there is a God, who made God?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #29
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubbins View Post

He has no superior.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #30
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubbins View Post
Joking aside, that's a great question , and I don't have an answer. Any theologians here??? Hey, you were the one who hijacked the thread .
Appreciate 0