BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Camera advice, in a dilemma!

Hi all,

Basically, I'v always enjoyed taking photographs yet never really invested in a good camera. I've always used digital compacts, and although some of the pics have been good, I'm ready to invest in something with more functionality.

I'm going on a big vacation this year and would like the camera for use on that, as well as when I'm home.

I've been around the camera stores here, and I've got myself a little dilemma. I'm torn between two totally different kinds of camera, Micro 4/3's and an SLR.

The two I'm debating over are the:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...1279/show.html

and

Canon EOS 600D
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0182/show.html

Now I know these are two completely diffirent cameras. However, I'm drawn to the G3 based on it's size, the lower cost, how it felt to use/carry around.

On the other hand, the Canon 600D SLR is an SLR, an although larger it will allow me to do more with it and produce better images with practice. The 600D is much more expensive, but if it's as good as people say then I'd be willing to spend the extra cash.

I will be shooting urban shots, wildlife, cars, nature etc and want something that will allow me to create great images and potentially get some of them blown up on canvas etc.

Can someone with more experience and who isn't commission driven offer up their opinion please? I would be very grateful

Scott
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
two entirely different things. if you are going for a micro 4/3 maybe you should look into sony new and olympus om-d as well..

if you go for the canon remember that you will not only spent more on the camera body but you need to invest on more expensive lenses as well.
      06-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
two entirely different things. if you are going for a micro 4/3 maybe you should look into sony new and olympus om-d as well..

if you go for the canon remember that you will not only spent more on the camera body but you need to invest on more expensive lenses as well.
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah your right. I never really thought that much about the extra lenses required for the DSLR.

I've only ever looked at the Panasonic Lumix for the micro 4/3's, however I looked at several other DLSR's.

Will a 4/3 be sufficient for what I want it to do? I guess I could buy the 4/3 with the ability to go to SLR once I get the basics down?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

If you need/want something in a smaller form-factor, then go micro 4/3rds. If the size doesn't concern you, then the dSLR will give you more flexibility in terms of the choices of lenses you have, etc.

The image quality of the 4/3rds vs. entry-level dSLRs are probably similar nowadays. I've heard great things about the Sony NEX systems. With dSLRs I'd stick with either Canon or Nikon because they have the largest selection of lenses and accessories.
      06-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

if you go small, go with the Sony NEX system, they've got some great lenses for it, especially the expensive Zeiss ones. or, wait about a month to see what Canon releases for the mirrorless market - just not sure when it would be available for your trip.

if you go SLR, buy used body only and piece out your lenses.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

My trips not until September, but I would like some time to get used to the settings and get some practice shots before I leave.

Having read the reviews, the Sony NEX-5N and the Lumix G3 are the two leaders of the field.

The Sony one looks brilliant, but lack of view finder and flash have made me wary.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

I will be shooting urban shots, wildlife, cars, nature etc and want something that will allow me to create great images and potentially get some of them blown up on canvas etc.
You need the dslr for wildlife and nature. You'll also need something like a 70-200mm or a 75-300mm zoom to really get satisfying wildlife and nature shots. The much larger sensor of the dslr gives you more good pixels to work with in final cropping and when shooting at high ISOs, etc.

If you'd said urban, travel and kids, then I'd say that the 3/4 might be fine.

Dave
      06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
rodi
. . .
Rep

viewfinder on a small camera is going to be pretty pathetic.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm now leaning towards the Sony NEX-5N. That camera gets some seriously amazing reviews. Given that I will want to experiment with whatever camera I buy, my Mrs is likely to throw it on Auto and keep it there. From what I've ready, the NEX-5N is the perfect thing for that!

My only concern is the length of the 55-210mm lens is quite big compared to the small nimble body. Just wondering if that would be a downside to it.

If I go for either the G3 or NEX-5N cameras, I'll go for the twin lens 18-55 and 55-210 kit, as well as a filter for the lenses and a good bag too.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
I'm now leaning towards the Sony NEX-5N. That camera gets some seriously amazing reviews. Given that I will want to experiment with whatever camera I buy, my Mrs is likely to throw it on Auto and keep it there. From what I've ready, the NEX-5N is the perfect thing for that!

My only concern is the length of the 55-210mm lens is quite big compared to the small nimble body. Just wondering if that would be a downside to it.

If I go for either the G3 or NEX-5N cameras, I'll go for the twin lens 18-55 and 55-210 kit, as well as a filter for the lenses and a good bag too.
That should be a great kit. Just make sure that you put your left hand under the lens to hold it, no matter which lens you're using. Get the optional electric viewfinder so that you don't look like a doofus, holding the camera out in front of you.

Based on the reviews, the Sony looks like the best EVIL camera out there. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Dave
      06-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
That should be a great kit. Just make sure that you put your left hand under the lens to hold it, no matter which lens you're using. Get the optional electric viewfinder so that you don't look like a doofus, holding the camera out in front of you.

Based on the reviews, the Sony looks like the best EVIL camera out there. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

However, the EVF for this camera is an extra £320 in the uk. Thats half the price of the camera and single lens kit. This is one of the negative points about it!

I would feel weird holding the camera up looking at the screen when focusing the lens, it just seems unnatural to me.

To be honest, I dont think I'd pay the £320 for the EVF. I really need to go and test this camera to see if I could live with it without a view finder. This is one of the perks of the G3.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Thanks Dave!

However, the EVF for this camera is an extra £320 in the uk. Thats half the price of the camera and single lens kit. This is one of the negative points about it!

I would feel weird holding the camera up looking at the screen when focusing the lens, it just seems unnatural to me.

To be honest, I dont think I'd pay the £320 for the EVF. I really need to go and test this camera to see if I could live with it without a view finder. This is one of the perks of the G3.
Without the EVF, I think that you should forget the long lens. Unless you're shooting things that don't move and using a tripod, you'll not be able to use the long zoom out at its telephoto end.

Dave
      06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Without the EVF, I think that you should forget the long lens. Unless you're shooting things that don't move and using a tripod, you'll not be able to use the long zoom out at its telephoto end.

Dave
yeah I'm beginning to think that. The G3 comes with an EVF, and the longer lens for about the same money, but the reviews just dont match that of the NEX-5N. I think even without the long lens, the Sony would still be my preference.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
yeah I'm beginning to think that. The G3 comes with an EVF, and the longer lens for about the same money, but the reviews just dont match that of the NEX-5N. I think even without the long lens, the Sony would still be my preference.
There's no denying, the Sony is one of the sexiest packages out there. I don't need one, but I still want one. I have a friend that uses one with his old Leica lenses. Talk about cool and sexy. It's an incredible package with the wide lenses.

I'd caution to guard against being drawn to a sleek package that doesn't meet your objectives. I think that I recall you saying that you wanted to do some nature and wildlife shooting. If that's important, then this camera does not fill that bill, unless you add the EVF. With the EVF, then I think it could work very well. It might not be quite as slick as an SLR in that regard, but it'd be great for everything else.

Dave
      06-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
rodi
. . .
Rep

just get the Fuji Xpro-1 with 35 and 60mm lenses. they have some pretty amazing glass coming out later too.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's no denying, the Sony is one of the sexiest packages out there. I don't need one, but I still want one. I have a friend that uses one with his old Leica lenses. Talk about cool and sexy. It's an incredible package with the wide lenses.

I'd caution to guard against being drawn to a sleek package that doesn't meet your objectives. I think that I recall you saying that you wanted to do some nature and wildlife shooting. If that's important, then this camera does not fill that bill, unless you add the EVF. With the EVF, then I think it could work very well. It might not be quite as slick as an SLR in that regard, but it'd be great for everything else.

Dave

Nature and Wildlife wont be a huge concern. Basically the Mrs has given the go ahead on a good camera, so I'm taking the opportunity and running with it.

So it really has to be a bit of an all rounder in the respect, as she will want to use it too.

I think the NEX-5N is going to fit the bill, and if anything it will bridge the gap for me just now between Point-and-Shoot and the DSLR camera's.

I'm sure that this will be perfectly suitable for pics in NY, and seeing family down in PA. Hopefully I'll have mastered a few of the settings prior to my trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
just get the Fuji Xpro-1 with 35 and 60mm lenses. they have some pretty amazing glass coming out later too.

got it with the 18mm and the 35mm.. i love it
      06-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
got it with the 18mm and the 35mm.. i love it
nice!

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

So, bought the nex-5n today after much deliberation. What a fantastic little camera. I'm using an old memory card at the moment, just to play with it.

What's the best memory card to use for a camera like this? A class 10 sdhc card? Or an MS pro card?

Can't wait to get out and take some shots!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
rodi
. . .
Rep

don't buy Sony memory sticks. they're proprietary. the SDs will most likely be used in your next camera.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #21
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Rodi.

Any ones I should be looking at?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

any of the Sandisk SDHC cards will work. But, because you can shoot up to 10 fps, I would recommend the 30mb/s or faster ones.