BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

10-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Also, what small car would you like them to build, they have a z4 and 1 series?
Things that I'd rather have than an X1 or X3 would be a 5 door 123d, a 335i or 335d Touring with a stick or an M5 Touring if gas and money are unlimited. The simple fact that each of the three cars I'd like are offered to most of the world is annoying. We don't need more tall trucks with bad responses and poor mileage when we could already have better wagons and hatchbacks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #24
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
How is building a small SAV not focusing on their smaller cars? People still need utility but they would also like some economy while having the typical BMW driving characteristics. Also, last I talked with the dealer, the x6 was the only vehicle they were really selling. I think an x7 would be a bad move, but I think the x1 is a step in the right direction, I see CRV's and Rav4's and small kia's and hyundai's all the time now. The x3 is do to get bigger and pricier so there will be room for it. If you like the concept of a 1, why not an x1? I would like to see them throw either the 23d or 35d in it as well. Especially if they make it close to their target weight of 3400#s.

Also, what small car would you like them to build, they have a z4 and 1 series?
Keep your shirt on there pal. You obviously did not see my praise for the X1 in the first thread when it was revealed. I would consider one. The X6 wont keep BMW afloat. Neither will the X5. The 3series and the like will. Instead of focusing on all these X's, why not make the 1 more attractive. The 1SERIES is BMW's least attractive car stye-wise. Thats my opinion. Its a real hoot to drive and its pretty attractively priced.

Do you remember when BMW said they are drastically changing their financial plans. They dont care about being the #1 premium maker sales-wise. They wanted to focus more on profit and less on volume.

After the economy tanked, they are changing once again.

Cliff notes: Make the 1 more attractive style-wise, bring a Z2, and offer more efficiency.
      10-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #25
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Oh yeah, NEW Z FTW. I wish it wont be so expensive.

10-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #26
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

as much as I hate verts and find them girly that z4 looks hot....same thing for the s2k I like them with a hardtop(seibon,mugen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Things that I'd rather have than an X1 or X3 would be a 5 door 123d, a 335i or 335d Touring with a stick or an M5 Touring if gas and money are unlimited. The simple fact that each of the three cars I'd like are offered to most of the world is annoying. We don't need more tall trucks with bad responses and poor mileage when we could already have better wagons and hatchbacks.
I can understand the desire for the more efficient, and more utilitarian hatches and wagons, but the average American doesn't share that belief. Some want to sit up higher for safety/ergonomic feel etc. Afterall, we are an obese nation, it is tough to get our fat asses down in those cars. I also understand that it sucks that we can't get them. Saw an S4 wagon on base today and loved it, but I don't think you can pull a motorcycle trailer or jetski trailer with that. Same goes for a 123d, 335d touring etc. Also, all wheel drive and a larger amount of ground clearance do matter to some people, not all roads get cleared by the time you have to be somewhere. But I do understand how upsetting it can be not to have all the offerings BMW has, just be happy we got ours at signigicant discounts.

As for the actual thread, I have a tendancy to keep my eyes on a lot of cars, its genetic.
      10-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Why must they tease us with those wheels?!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Keep your shirt on there pal. You obviously did not see my praise for the X1 in the first thread when it was revealed. I would consider one. The X6 wont keep BMW afloat. Neither will the X5. The 3series and the like will. Instead of focusing on all these X's, why not make the 1 more attractive. The 1SERIES is BMW's least attractive car stye-wise. Thats my opinion. Its a real hoot to drive and its pretty attractively priced.

Do you remember when BMW said they are drastically changing their financial plans. They dont care about being the #1 premium maker sales-wise. They wanted to focus more on profit and less on volume.

After the economy tanked, they are changing once again.

Cliff notes: Make the 1 more attractive style-wise, bring a Z2, and offer more efficiency.
I appologize if I came off snappy, just hear a lot of hate for vehicles that don't suit one's personal needs so they automatically get labeled as useless or pointless. As for the looks, I love the 1 but mostly because it is uncommon.
      10-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #30
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I appologize if I came off snappy, just hear a lot of hate for vehicles that don't suit one's personal needs so they automatically get labeled as useless or pointless. As for the looks, I love the 1 but mostly because it is uncommon.
Its cool. I agree with you on that one. I dont see SUV's as useless. It depends on the person really. Part of why I still love the 1 is that is uncommon. Giving us an //M version or whatever would have me aboard. I love the s2k b/c its not everywhere like a 350Z. This exclusivity is becoming a problem for me.
      10-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #31
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

This is true about the s2000, I rarely ever see them, hmm maybe the wife would be interested in one of those those. I have said before she is all over the place with what she wants and who doesn't want a quick roadster?
      10-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #32
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumi71 View Post
Note the cavern of dead space in the wheel wells on the blue one by the way...
It has the suspension blocks still attached from when shipped apparently. Have you seen 1ers when they roll off the truck? Same thing...
      10-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #33
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Wow... not again.... with the "not buying a BMW for fun and performance" statments...

Intersting thread tho, I hear theres A LOT of new cars coming out in 09 like 370Z and of course the new Camaro still waiting on the Trans Am!

But if the Z4 is longer i may be into it, I always thought the Z4 was way to small like a Miata but if its bigger I may like it!

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #34
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
The reason BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc. got into SUVs is because they sell, plain and simple. If people were really wanting small, efficient cars from these manufacturers, they'd be selling them. What better time for a small, pocket-rocket type car than now, and yet still the gargantuan fuel-guzzling X6 is far outselling the hot little 1-series. In America, bigger is better, especially when dropping a hefty wad of cash on a premium label. Whether you accept it or not, the majority of people don't buy a BMW to zip in and out of traffic and have a fun drive, they do it to be seen. Status.
This man is saying the truth.....also see my signature...we're getting bombarded with heavy, lackluster useless cars ....where are all the fun toyota's,mazda's. Bmw used to be the 3-5-7-8 series with M variants that really meant something not just marketing. Same goes for Porsche Audi etc the only company that sticked to what they meant to is Lotus(so far until the EVORA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Any day now!!! I cant wait for this bloody car. Birdies say that it will be incredibly more focuses that the former ones.
      11-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #36
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
the only company that sticked to what they meant to is Lotus(so far until the EVORA).
and the latest Europa?

Yuck!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #37
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
OT a bit but a quick Europa review...

Take an Elise/Exige, make it heavier, add more equipment, add a bulkier, uglier body and then price it way higher than it should be.

Lotus argues that the Europa is more practical & refined than the Elise & that you're paying extra for the thicker more sumptuous carpets, extra leather covered surfaces, more sound deadening & more refinement and comfort.

Well, getting in & out is still tricky and the sill you need to negotiate is just as wide as the Elise & the roof line almost as low as the Exige.

The trunk is still tiny & anything you put in there will still be cooked by the time you get home!

Handling is softer & the ride is marginally better than an Elise. But then again anyone who's driven an Elise will tell you the ride is pretty good to start with.

More leather & sound deadening? Thicker carpets? This is a Lotus for Pete's sake! Why go to the trouble of designing things like rear view mirrors that are lighter than the previous version is you're going to lay on thicker carpets & add more sound deadening? :iono:

More refined? It still feels like you're paying to develop the car for Lotus rather than being surrounded in luxurious refinement.

At the end of the day an Elise is a better car & an Exige is a much better drivers car.

The Evora takes Lotus further down this path

Meanwhile, if it's a comfortable 'GT' you want, then the new Z4 is looking promising :w00t:

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #38
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

the Z4 is Sex On Wheels
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #39
Ringleheim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

Press Release may well be some time this week, perhaps as early as tomorrow. The US Presidential election makes a release tomorrow unlikely in my book though. We have to wait and see.

Won't be long...

By the way, it looks more and more like there will be no cloth top option for the Z4. I keep reading it will be folding hard top only. The Z2 will have the soft top.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #40
Ringleheim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Only 9 days to go until LA auto show and still no information leak.

I keep checking the BMW international website as well as BMWUSA and there's nothing at either.

Won't be long now though.

The spy photos give an excellent idea of what the car will look like. What I am most concerned with is the official spec sheet. Like, what will the base engine be, will a soft top be available, and what is the curb weight.

An official US release date would be useful info. too.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #41
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Only 9 days to go until LA auto show and still no information leak.

I keep checking the BMW international website as well as BMWUSA and there's nothing at either.

Won't be long now though.

The spy photos give an excellent idea of what the car will look like. What I am most concerned with is the official spec sheet. Like, what will the base engine be, will a soft top be available, and what is the curb weight.

An official US release date would be useful info. too.

Little birdies are saying tommorow. I say we shake the tree if they're wrong.
      11-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #42
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Bah only 9 days till unveiling, no biggie i can wait.
      11-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #43
Ringleheim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is it just me, or are you guys noticing that LA has arrived and the Z4 is not there?

Not sure what's going on, but now it's looking like BMW might show the car in Detroit. Annoying...

:bs::bs:
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #44
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Is it just me, or are you guys noticing that LA has arrived and the Z4 is not there?

Not sure what's going on, but now it's looking like BMW might show the car in Detroit. Annoying...

:bs::bs:

Ran across this one earlier in the month...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184663