BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

04-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Review of the S4: Rubbish...whats all the fuss about?

So people here have been making quite the fuss about the S4...I'd driven the A4 before, deemed it to be a substandard car -- decided to give the S4 a go.

Summary: Its all about perspective -- today, I compared the 335 XDrive (AWD) (my car) to the Audi S4 (AWD);

The car is completely rubbish for the money they charge; were it 15 K cheaper...maybe it would be good ( just being provocative). Has no sense of luxury, feels cheap outside and inside. Above all, it does not feel like a luxury car; it feels like a track/rally car; the inside is all wrong. The amazing engine does not do enough to offset the insulated, passionless ride.

Plus side: The engine is SUPERIOR to the N54...it has no turbo lag (supercharged)...but thats about it; oh, and those beautiful LED lights that Benz has too, those draw mad attention.

Ride: Little road feel, the suspension was OK...but not enough communication with the road; def felt insulated.

Interior: Rubbish...this is the KEY here...the interior was rubbish. It felt like a souped up rally car. The leather was dull, the interior was dreary, depressing in hues of black, and grey...I felt like I was in a cemetary as compared to my cream beige BMW. The plastic felt cheap -- the worst part: the thin, cheap feeling steering wheel, reminded me of a Honda/Acura. The interior DID NOT feel like a luxury car. It reminded me of infiniti. Overall, its at the same quality level as infiniti/Acura.

BTW, the doors don't close with that same...strong thud that BMW doors close with; they feel lighter, weaker, more like...an Acura. Just feels cheaper.

Engine: AMAZING...this engine is SUPERIOR to the N54. It has no lag...I wish I had this engine in my 335. It is faster and has more power. I bet it doesn't have an HPFP issue either. The exhaust note is of course better than BMW, nice grunt.

Overall: this car has NO passion compared to a 335i...335i brings a smile and joy to one's driving experience...because you FEEL the road, you FEEL the curves, you FEEL the engine and power delivery.

Audi is the opposite here...you feel little, not as bad as Lexus -- but Lex doesn't pretend to compete with the Boss of Motor Werks.

Conclusion: Nice little fad for those who "want something new"...who always need the new thing. Its LED lights make it look hot, but benz has that now too. Overall car is rubbish in comparison to the 335i, has a better engine, but maybe 30-40% of the driving experience. That is the key here.

All those people saying BMW is dated...you've just jumped on a fad, the next great thing -- Good luck to you and bless the MBA's who did a good sales job!

I'll keep my 6MT 335xi. Its interior is luxurious, beautiful light tones on the leather, make it feel like a luxury car, which it is. And it does not feel cheap. ON a sidenote, I feel I was fair...I completely admit that the S4's engine is superior...I am not bashing AUdi. In every other respect, it is sub par relative to the BMW. The engine is only THAT MUCH better than the N54, marginal -- it does not make up for the ride.

And so the natural order has been restored.

Last edited by TheRox; 04-23-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

Wow you sound like Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
So people here have been making quite the fuss about the S4...I'd driven the A4 before, deemed it to be a substandard car -- decided to give the S4 a go.

Summary: The car is completely rubbish. Has no sense of luxury, feels cheap outside and inside. Above all, it does not feel like a luxury car; it feels like a track/rally car; the inside is all wrong.

Plus side: The engine is SUPERIOR to the N54...it has no turbo lag (supercharged)...but thats about it; oh, and those beautiful LED lights that Benz has too, those draw mad attention.

Ride: Little road feel, the suspension was OK...but not enough communication with the road; def felt insulated.

+1
Interior: Rubbish...this is the KEY here...the interior was rubbish. It felt like a souped up rally car. The leather was dull, the interior was dreary, depressing in hues of black, and grey...I felt like I was in a cemetary as compared to my cream beige BMW. The plastic felt cheap -- the worst part: the thin, cheap feeling steering wheel, reminded me of a Honda/Acura. The interior DID NOT feel like a luxury car. It reminded me of infiniti. Overall, its at the same quality level as infiniti/Acura.

Engine: AMAZING...this engine is SUPERIOR to the N54. It has no lag...I wish I had this engine in my 335. It is faster and has more power. I bet it doesn't have an HPFP issue either. The exhaust note is of course better than BMW, nice grunt.

Overall: this car has NO passion compared to a 335i...335i brings a smile and joy to one's driving experience...because you FEEL the road, you FEEL the curves, you FEEL the engine and power delivery.

Audi is the opposite here...you feel little, not as bad as Lexus -- but Lex doesn't pretend to compete with the Boss of Motor Werks.

Conclusion: Nice little fad for those who "want something new"...who always need the new thing. Its LED lights make it look hot, but benz has that now too. Overall car is rubbish in comparison to the 335i, has a better engine, but maybe 30-40% of the driving experience. That is the key here.

All those people saying BMW is dated...you've just jumped on a fad, the next great thing -- Good luck to you and bless the MBA's who did a good sales job!

I'll keep my 6MT 335xi. Its interior is luxurious, beautiful light tones on the leather, make it feel like a luxury car, which it is. And it does not feel cheap.
+1 *1000

i tested yesterday the S4 as well, i am not sure what is the hype about materials inside come on people its not better then BMW it feels cheaper same as in the VW Golf from my wife.

Engine: very nice engine pulls hard and is deff. more powerfull then the stock n54.

Transmission: loved the DSG the throttle blip when you downshifted really nice and so freaking fast.

Interiour: to busy for me i like it more clean and modern the S4 is like for 12 year old kids buttons everywhere. The silk leather is crazy it feels like cheep plastic and also the two tone hmmmm didnt like that.

Suspension: nice ride but nothing special of cours the allwheel drive ads traction big time

Overall: my conclusion its like a toy for children nothing special about it not my next car to consider.

It does not match the roadfeel of the 335 thats for sure everything feels more superior in the BMW just my opinion.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Lexi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I respect you opinion, I am not a fan of the A4, but I am a fan of the R8 and the RS4.

As for BMWs, I like the Z4, don't like the 6 or the 7.

Everything is relative, everything is perspective-based.

335 may be a great car, but I prefer the RS4
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

"Rubbish" is a bit harsh.
I agree that the key difference is feel, but for me the difference in this regard between the 335xi and the rwd 335 is almost as big.

Bottom line: if steering precision and road feel are important to you, get a 335 rwd, and mod appropriately (BMW Perf suspension kit, M3 bits, extreme perf non-rfts, LSD).

If AWD is really vital, go test drive the S4 & xi, they are both great cars IMO, with different emphases as the OP describes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

It has to have a high pressure pump since it's a direct injection engine (I think).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
It has to have a high pressure pump since it's a direct injection engine (I think).
Doubt it will fail though. I still feel that if you want to move away from BMW...then Mercedes C350 is a better buy than this.

Mercedes has the best, and highest quality interior of any car I've been in. Pure luxury. Unfortunately, it drives like a Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
I respect you opinion, I am not a fan of the A4, but I am a fan of the R8 and the RS4.

As for BMWs, I like the Z4, don't like the 6 or the 7.

Everything is relative, everything is perspective-based.

335 may be a great car, but I prefer the RS4
RS4 competes with the M3...different ball park.

Aside from the LED lights, I can't see why anyone would prefer the S4 to the 335i.

I grant you the 335i e90 is not the best looking car, but aside from that...its game over if you're looking for the premiere driving car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

+1 on V6 SC.
I was hoping 2011 S5 coming in August would have it instead the V8.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I agree with most of what you said. My ideal car right now would be the engine from the S4, the body from the S5, the steering & suspension from the 335 the interior layout of the S5 but the materials (leathers, plastics) from the 335. Boooom! I would trade my 335 for that right now. How it stands though I'll be keeping it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
+1 *1000

Transmission: loved the DSG the throttle blip when you downshifted really nice and so freaking fast.
try to BMW DCT Too bad in the States this is only for the 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Interiour: to busy for me i like it more clean and modern the S4 is like for 12 year old kids buttons everywhere. The silk leather is crazy it feels like cheep plastic and also the two tone hmmmm didnt like that.
exactly. for me it is something for a 18 year old. Especially in the dark I would go nuts. So many red light (red lighted buttons), completely overdone, too busy. Like I said, kids would love it.$

Also the quality a lot of people are screaming about I cannot confirm. It is nice, but for sure not better then a BMW.

The led lights are not my thing. I liked them on the S5, but now everybody is having them and it is looks "pimp" to me. It is dragging too much attention. Great for people looking for that of course.

And then there is the price. Here it is quite a bit more expensive then a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
[QUOTE=marcel b;7184282]try to BMW DCT Too bad in the States this is only for the 335is

exactly. for me it is something for a 18 year old. Especially in the dark I would go nuts. So many red light (red lighted buttons), completely overdone, too busy. Like I said, kids would love it.$

Also the quality a lot of people are screaming about I cannot confirm. It is nice, but for sure not better then a BMW.

The led lights are not my thing. I liked them on the S5, but now everybody is having them and it is looks "pimp" to me. It is dragging too much attention. Great for people looking for that of course.

stimme dir vollkommend zu!

SG
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

This post isn't in the right forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I'm pretty sure I compared it to a BMW 335

Check again.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
i think you are in the wrong one!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Well I'll take my leave then.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have to agree about the interior. I actually loved it the first time I saw it, but as I've sat in the car a few more times, I've started to notice where they cut corners and cheaped out. I actually think the 3-series uses higher quality interior materials - Audi is just very good at giving you the impression of a high quality interior. Some of the pieces in the S4 are taken DIRECTLY from the Jetta and Passat. This is even true for the A6 to a keen observer.

Last edited by The J-Man; 04-23-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
islandbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 SG

Interesting after all the Audi lovers posting lately., similarly, my daugther works at a Volvo dealership and she gets to drive all the late model european cars they import , they sell more used bimmers MB's and Audis than new Volvos. I asked her what she thought of the Audis, and she really did not like the Audi a4 at all. She does drive a BMW 5spd , the car she did really enjoy was the was the new M6. All the salesman prerfer taking the BMW's and Porsches home as their demos. Funny story as they sell so many high end late model BMW's they always park them up front around the two streetfronts. Ome morning they arrive to find someone had thrown a rock through one of their store front large glass windows. This is a very new building with very tall glass front curved around two streets as they are on the intersection. Next day they arrive to find a note on their front door
"So Sorry we thought you were BMW "
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
I like the RS4 also to bad i beat a Stage 2 RS4 and all i had was a JB3 im AWD btw killed him by over 2 car lengths
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
It's meant to be a sarcasm.

this should be posted in Audiworld.com
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #21
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

I have yet to test drive an S4, but I tried the A4 3.2 last summer and was incredibly disappointed. I'm trying hard to keep an open mind until I drive the S4, but I suspect I will emerge as underwhelmed as the OP.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
Well I have owned 2 e92 335's and just recently got the S4. I still love BMW and not about to talk trash about them because they treated me well and even repurchased my car due to 4 HPFP replacements. The interior comment is subjective and one thing I can tell you is that the fit and finish is much better. In both 2007 and 2008 e92, the interior started creaking and squeaking after one week. Lots of rattles coming from unknown places, road and wind noise, and harsh ride over rough pavement. The S4 can still drive tight but at the same time maintain civility for every day driving that is actually comfortable and quiet. I can actually talk over bluetooth without much external noise.

I like the BMW interior because of its simplicity and the S4 is overwhelming with all the buttons and gadgets. If you have the wood trim, the BMW interior looks more luxurious because of how they laid it out. I had the gray poplar on my e92s with saddle brown and it looked gorgeous. If you have the aluminum trim, I personally think that Audi has done a better job at incorporating aluminum / cf trim into the interior. For the BMW, without navigation, the interior IMO is plain and boring and all you see is dark plastic with too much trim. The only thing I like about the e92 interior is the red mood lighting that gives it a lot of class at night. Regarding the buttons, yes BMW buttons and knobs feel better to the touch. Audi went with smooth as opposed to BMW's slightly textured surfaces. I personally like the leather in the Audi better as it feels softer to the touch.The bucket seats in the S4 is really comfortable compared to my sport seats in the e92. Audi and BMW took different approaches with their navigation and the MMI is more intuitive and easier to use than the iDrive. I'm a technically inclined person and don't have a problem with both, but I can use MMI a lot faster. Instead of using a do-it-all knob, Audi externalized the functions and thus the higher number of buttons on the console. Audi knows how to make cup holders, adjustable arm rest that can adjust to different height and driver positions, usable door pockets for things other than papers, and other more ergonomic features. Both are German engineering and compared to my previous vehicles, it feels like it was done right.

I really think that people look at the price tag and they expect too much. People don't realize that it has quattro, rear differential, higher output engine, and other adaptive drive features which the BMW does not offer. They are targeting the people between the 335 and the M3. Why do you think they came out with the 335is? Have you priced that out? It's actually more expensive than the S4 and it doesn't have quattro or rear-diff. I had a fully loaded e92 with an MSRP of $56,250 compared to my current S4 fully loaded at $61,075. For a little less than 5k more, I get quattro, rear differential, higher output engine, adaptive drive, better Navigation with backup camera & blind side sensor, 505 watt Bang & Oluffsen stereo, etc. $5k is not a lot to ask. Compare similarly equipped vehicles and you will see that the price difference is not much.

The next generation f30 will probably up the ante, but that is the industry and having competition benefits us all.
Thats true, I agree with what you said for the most part.

You, nor Audi can explain the part where the S4 lacks the "driving Passion"...the "expression joy" that I feel with the BMW 6MT, and don't feel with the Audi. I can't speak to interior build quality, maybe its better on Audi...from what I understand, all three German brands are bad for reliability and long term build quality!

That insulation takes away from the driving experience; thats all I'm trying to say. Like I said, for a different person looking for an insulated ride, talking on bluetooth, maybe this car is good. For the enthusiast...this is no enthusiasts car -- the engine does not make the car. The overall package does.

You're right, I have cream beige interior with burl walnut trim...it is very luxurious and soft.

Good luck to you and enjoy the S4...its a hot car these days, head turner for sure! I just happen to think its not an enthusiasts car, and doesn't have that "connected" intimate driving experience BMW and Porsche have.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0