BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

02-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #23
E90T
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
to 95% of non Germans Luftwaffe is synonymous with the nazi war machine, airforce isn't really a word you would learn in a foreign language unless you were very advanced, but if you watched war movies or taken a WWII history course you would immediately recognize the word in this context.

Putting that on your license plate would be similar to calling people that are in a good mood gay. Both terms technically correct but both terms much more likely to be taken out of context and likely taken offensively.

Not making a moral call on either term but merely suggesting that your car will be inevitably vandalized.

Exactly.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
daKaiser
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: ...

@1stnewcar

u think that i copied sth from wiki?
or did i get it wrong

anyway.

me, as an german, thinks that luftwaffe isnt a bad word
i dont know your feelings but me... its a normal word for me like schäferhund or sauerkraut(probably the most known german words by notgermans )

btw sauerkraut sucks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #25
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

Would you guys that find this offensive, PLEASE GROW A PAIR!
You should never not do something because some ignoramus will not understand what it means! If that is going to be the standard, then what model of idiocy shall we all adhere to?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #26
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
BMW was forced to participate in making engines and other machinery for Nazi-Germany, so driving BMW is also wrong??

With Luftwaffe is nothing wrong, as long you're not relating it on purpose with the Air-force of Nazi-Germany. Still wonder what's its relation to the car, and why put it on it?

BMW - Maßstab für Fahrspaß
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #27
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 CP 6MT, '13 X1 35i

Yeah, this is pathetic.

I'm sorry Baltik, but your assessment of the situation is flawed in so many ways that I can't even begin to outline them. E90T just agrees cause he's doing what he does best, being a negative sensationalist. Both of you are incorrect though.

This means nothing other than 'airforce', and to say that it is in some way related to a situation where calling happy people gay could be misinterpreted is radically foolish. Really guys, it is in such poor judgement that you come on here making such idiotic statements and comparisons, I'm embarassed for you...

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #28
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummelenj View Post
BMW was forced to participate in making engines and other machinery for Nazi-Germany, so driving BMW is also wrong??
      02-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #29
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I don't see why anyone would take offense to a license plate that says Luftwaffe. Maybe it's different in Britain but I can't think of a single person I know who would care. Most of them would think it was pretty cool. I'm confused what the Luftwaffe did that is so wrong during WWII. Maybe there is a gap in my education, but the bombing of London isn't really "wrong" during wartime, is it?
Quote:
Still wonder what's its relation to the car, and why put it on it?
I would guess because it sounds badass. And BMW used to make planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #30
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, this is the inverse way stating of what I trying to say, I totally agree brummelenj.

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #31
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
...And BMW used to make planes.
only the engines...

With the take over of Rolls Royce BMW is back in business producing aeroplane engines.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #32
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I don't see why anyone would take offense to a license plate that says Luftwaffe. Maybe it's different in Britain but I can't think of a single person I know who would care. Most of them would think it was pretty cool. I'm confused what the Luftwaffe did that is so wrong during WWII. Maybe there is a gap in my education, but the bombing of London isn't really "wrong" during wartime, is it?

I would guess because it sounds badass. And BMW used to make planes.
Agreed. This is why people can be ignorant, their high-school history books identify the Luftwaffe as something evil to be associated with Nazis, while subjectively telling of how the fire bombs dropped on Dresden by the USAF was completely justified.

Use your mind people, everything is not relative.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #33
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daKaiser View Post
@1stnewcar

u think that i copied sth from wiki?
or did i get it wrong

anyway.

me, as an german, thinks that luftwaffe isnt a bad word
i dont know your feelings but me... its a normal word for me like schäferhund or sauerkraut(probably the most known german words by notgermans )

btw sauerkraut sucks
No mate - I copied the quote from wiki. I was actually defending you so no need for the "did I get it wrong" smartass remark.
      02-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #34
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

Quote:
only the engines...

With the take over of Rolls Royce BMW is back in business producing aeroplane engines.
Not correct, Rolls Royce autos are separate and distinct from Rolls Royce Aerospace and Marine.

Same logo, totally different companies.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #35
Shäferhunde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xiT

Garage List
2007 E91 328xiT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daKaiser View Post
... its a normal word for me like schäferhund or sauerkraut(probably the most known german words by notgermans )

btw sauerkraut sucks
I hope no one thinks my "Name" Shäferhunde is somehow associated with the Nazi war machine. That would be awful.

Wait... German Shepards were used in WWII but hopefully they're not on the PC vocabulary hit list or ignorantly misunderstood to mean something else.

Your name "daKaiser" sounds awful reminiscent of Kaiser Wilhelm II, tisk, tisk.

BTW, I had one of the best Bratwursts of my life in Hanover Münden and it had plenty of sauerkraut on it.
      02-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #36
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubenhocker View Post
Not correct, Rolls Royce autos are separate and distinct from Rolls Royce Aerospace and Marine.

Same logo, totally different companies.

The Rolls Royes aeroplane engines are made cooperative with BMW in a joint venture (BMW Rolls Royce, now called Rolls Royce Deutschland) from 1990 till 1999. After the debacle with Rover cars, the BMW Group decided only to produce premium-cars and motorcycles and left making aeroplane engine to the mother venture (Rolls Royce plc.)

So you're right BMW isn't making aeroplane engines since 2000 anymore.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

This plate would probably offend more people than the luftwaffe one:
Attached Images

02-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #38
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

HA!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #39
mr2guy
N54 FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon

Whether the word is right or wrong isn't the issue to me so much as the type of response people will have to this plate. Probably half of the people that see it won't even be able to pronounce it correctly to understand the connection. The people that do understand will question "why" you put that on your car. Putting "Air force" on a plate that is attached to your German car makes people probably think you serve in the USAF. But to put "Luftwaffe" on a plate that is attached to your German car is not so harmless. The fact that the word does have a strong connection to an event in history where millions of people died over some of most polluted thinking of mankind's recorded history makes people question your motive. Are you simply putting a word on your car that sounds cool or is German for something you have an appreciation for to go with the German car norm of having a europlate? Some, and I think quite a few actually, will think you are someone that agrees with the ideals of Nazism. What this means though for you, and you can obviously disagree, is that you may experience backlash for this plate. Some people feel very strongly about the subject and could be compelled to leave you a message about their dislike of your plate. Now you have to decide whether your favored word being on your car is more important than having to worry about vandalism and people stopping you to address your motive for this signage. To me, I think you are wasting your time and are just setting your self up for stupid shit to happen to your expensive car.
      02-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #40
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have read the above comments and understand both sides. It is ironic that our roundels with their "spinning props against a blue sky" are symbolic of BMW's aircraft producing origins. I'm not German, but know Luftwaffe means air force or air weapon. As an American the word stirs up images of WWII planes, and the premise for that war and the ambitions of Nazi Germany were quite horrific. However, the Japanese are our allies now, Germany is a part of NATO, and we eat Bratwurst on occasion.

One would assume that someone donning this plate simply does so for the "coolness" factor. Now if Swastikas were painted on the doors, maybe not. However, I would really have to question the coolness of having "air force" on the plate. What would we think if we were to travel to Japan, and see a Japanese driver with a Mustang sport a Japanese plate that read, "Air Force?"
      02-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #41
La Verdad
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

it's really stupid to put that on your car. i'm sure you picked it because you thought it was cool but....it really carries more of a negative connotation than you thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #42
MBChariot
HESSEN///M3
Panama
Rep
Drives: TIag E46 ///M3

I am just confused by the plate personally and I was born in Germany.

"A6 direction Saarbrücken"
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #43
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Honestly I couldn't understand why he wants it, but that doesn't mean he's committed an act in poor taste by getting it.

I'm going to step out of this debate before I am forced to once again display how it is blindly stupid to criticize this guy getting the plate. It is the same thing as putting a USAF sticker on your window, the USAF COMMITTED ATROCITIES TOO. For some reason people are ignoring this and choosing to wimper about Nazis, this has NOTHING to do with that.

Get a clue about what you're saying before you choose to say it.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #44
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
I have read the above comments and understand both sides. It is ironic that our roundels with their "spinning props against a blue sky" are symbolic of BMW's aircraft producing origins. I'm not German, but know Luftwaffe means air force or air weapon. As an American the word stirs up images of WWII planes, and the premise for that war and the ambitions of Nazi Germany were quite horrific. However, the Japanese are our allies now, Germany is a part of NATO, and we eat Bratwurst on occasion.

One would assume that someone donning this plate simply does so for the "coolness" factor. Now if Swastikas were painted on the doors, maybe not. However, I would really have to question the coolness of having "air force" on the plate. What would we think if we were to travel to Japan, and see a Japanese driver with a Mustang sport a Japanese plate that read, "Air Force?"
+1

Appreciate 0