BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #45
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Congratulations on the job and the move. I'd rather live in NYC but LA ain't bad.

I refuse to believe that commute is the first and foremost important factor in where you live. To which I ask this question : How old are you? single? married? kids?

This is much more a determinant of where you should be looking to live. Also the types of things you like doing (do you prefer being outdoors? Or care more about restaurants and nightlife) etc.

If you have kids, scratch out West Hollywood or any residence that falls under the LA unified school district. Amongst the most underfunded and poorly educated kids in America. You'll be paying 15k per kid through 12th grade for private school, which you will be slammed into a waiting list to enroll in anyways.

If you prefer spending your time at beaches, hiking, biking, whatever, stick with the coastal towns. I'd go with Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, or Manhattan Beach. I work in SM and it's nice, though I'd never live here. MB is pricey but the entire white collar work force in LA lives down there. Marina Del Rey is just chill. You literally cannot typecast that town or its inhabitants. I lived there for 4 yrs thru college.
Getting to Downtown from SM will pretty much be the 10 freeway which can suck hard. Getting there from MDR or MB will be the 105 E to the 110 N which can also suck hard. It's simply a bit too far to take entirely on surface streets.

If you're young, single, like going out, wanna meet girls, you can't beat WeHo. I live on Doheny and Beverly which is very central to any restaurant you might want to try, any lounge/club/bar etc. Lot of cute girls, easy to navigate the town via side streets even through rush hours. Downside is that a lot the girls you meet here, though reasonably easy to talk to, are utterly vapid and have nothing but crap for brains. Commute to DT is easy enough. 35 mins in tough traffic by simply bombing down Olympic. Before you know it, you've already gone through KoreaTown and are in front of Staples Ctr. You can also take Beverly all the way to DT (the northern end of it).

Someone said that Silverlake and Los Feliz are like Brooklyn/Williamsburg. Totally true, but you also have the conspicuous hipster that actually makes 6 figures and only cultivated his/her hipstery image because they had the money to spend. There are a lot of struggling actor/artist types here, but you have as many wealthier entertainment people. Producers, writers, actors etc. But you'll be the only dude in town with a suit on for sure. My sister lives here and I never let her hear the end of it. You're pretty close to DT from here, although most any drink you order in local bars will be served to you in a goddamn mason jar, by some guy who likely makes his own small batch artisan chocolate/coffee/compost fed herbs.

You mentioned Valencia. Yea, live there if you want to get depressed and kill yourself. That drive alone is wretched enough to begin to think about. And it's like suburbia. Only with a heat index equivalent of the finest wood burning ovens in NYC. It's probably easier to live on one of the nearby stars that orbit our earth.

No one mentioned Brentwood and West LA. Both areas are large and predominantly filled with young professionals and young-ish families. Mostly very normal people. It's probably a bit like the upper west side. It's closer to DT by 4-7 miles than Santa Monica coastline and it's further from DT than Beverly Hills/WeHo by about 2-6 miles.

I guess as long as I'm making comparisons.

Silverlake/LosFeliz/ = Brooklyn/Williamsburg
Venice Beach = Lower East
West Hollywood = Meatpacking/Chelsea
Beverly Hills/Bel Air Estates = Upper East
Hollywood Blvd = Times Square
Hollywood = Midtown
Westwood = Murray Hill
Downtown = Financial District
Valencia = think the most boring suburb outside of Manhattan.
Santa Monica = West Village
Santa Monica North = Greenwich Village
??? = Hells Kitchen
Runyon Canyon/Beaches/Griffith Park Observatory/Malibu/Malibu Canyon/Big Bear/Silverlake Reservoir etc = Central Park

Notable mention:
Park La Brea = Freaking Stuyvesant Town
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #46
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Congratulations on the job and the move. I'd rather live in NYC but LA ain't bad.

I refuse to believe that commute is the first and foremost important factor in where you live. To which I ask this question : How old are you? single? married? kids?

This is much more a determinant of where you should be looking to live. Also the types of things you like doing (do you prefer being outdoors? Or care more about restaurants and nightlife) etc.

If you have kids, scratch out West Hollywood or any residence that falls under the LA unified school district. Amongst the most underfunded and poorly educated kids in America. You'll be paying 15k per kid through 12th grade for private school, which you will be slammed into a waiting list to enroll in anyways.

If you prefer spending your time at beaches, hiking, biking, whatever, stick with the coastal towns. I'd go with Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, or Manhattan Beach. I work in SM and it's nice, though I'd never live here. MB is pricey but the entire white collar work force in LA lives down there. Marina Del Rey is just chill. You literally cannot typecast that town or its inhabitants. I lived there for 4 yrs thru college.
Getting to Downtown from SM will pretty much be the 10 freeway which can suck hard. Getting there from MDR or MB will be the 105 E to the 110 N which can also suck hard. It's simply a bit too far to take entirely on surface streets.

If you're young, single, like going out, wanna meet girls, you can't beat WeHo. I live on Doheny and Beverly which is very central to any restaurant you might want to try, any lounge/club/bar etc. Lot of cute girls, easy to navigate the town via side streets even through rush hours. Downside is that a lot the girls you meet here, though reasonably easy to talk to, are utterly vapid and have nothing but crap for brains. Commute to DT is easy enough. 35 mins in tough traffic by simply bombing down Olympic. Before you know it, you've already gone through KoreaTown and are in front of Staples Ctr. You can also take Beverly all the way to DT (the northern end of it).

Someone said that Silverlake and Los Feliz are like Brooklyn/Williamsburg. Totally true, but you also have the conspicuous hipster that actually makes 6 figures and only cultivated his/her hipstery image because they had the money to spend. There are a lot of struggling actor/artist types here, but you have as many wealthier entertainment people. Producers, writers, actors etc. But you'll be the only dude in town with a suit on for sure. My sister lives here and I never let her hear the end of it. You're pretty close to DT from here, although most any drink you order in local bars will be served to you in a goddamn mason jar, by some guy who likely makes his own small batch artisan chocolate/coffee/compost fed herbs.

You mentioned Valencia. Yea, live there if you want to get depressed and kill yourself. That drive alone is wretched enough to begin to think about. And it's like suburbia. Only with a heat index equivalent of the finest wood burning ovens in NYC. It's probably easier to live on one of the nearby stars that orbit our earth.

No one mentioned Brentwood and West LA. Both areas are large and predominantly filled with young professionals and young-ish families. Mostly very normal people. It's probably a bit like the upper west side. It's closer to DT by 4-7 miles than Santa Monica coastline and it's further from DT than Beverly Hills/WeHo by about 2-6 miles.

I guess as long as I'm making comparisons.

Silverlake/LosFeliz/ = Brooklyn/Williamsburg
Venice Beach = Lower East
West Hollywood = Meatpacking/Chelsea
Beverly Hills/Bel Air Estates = Upper East
Hollywood Blvd = Times Square
Hollywood = Midtown
Westwood = Murray Hill
Downtown = Financial District
Valencia = think the most boring suburb outside of Manhattan.
Santa Monica = West Village
Santa Monica North = Greenwich Village
??? = Hells Kitchen
Runyon Canyon/Beaches/Griffith Park Observatory/Malibu/Malibu Canyon/Big Bear/Silverlake Reservoir etc = Central Park

Notable mention:
Park La Brea = Freaking Stuyvesant Town
Haha epic post.

This thread has somewhat surprisingly turned out to be ... exceedingly helpful.

I'm 31 y/o and single though my gf and I have been together for over 4 years. We will be living together.

Of course, the situation is complicated by the fact that her job situation hasn't been resolved yet. One way or another, we will have to split hte distance between DT and wherever she ends up. I guess that this could mean some serious traffic time.

I'm on the fence about what to do with the M. I don't know if grinding through LA gridlock with a 6MT sounds all that appealing. Thinking about a number of performance mods (intake, tune, pulley, wheels, exhaust) and then going out & getting somethign sensible to go to work and back with (like a 2000 VW Golf).

Not sure though.

So wait, there's no mass public transit in L.A?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #47
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
So wait, there's no mass public transit in L.A?
There is a bus system which (as far as I have experienced) a rather miserable commuting experience, jam-packed full of sweaty, stinky people

There is a functioning metro system that is quite clean, reliable, and runs about every 10 minutes. The downside is, because of LA's sprawling nature, it does not go to a whole lot of places. It DOES run up to Pasadena (Gold line), the Red into Hollywood, and the Purple into Mid-Wilshire. If you work downtown and happen to be within walking distance of one of the stations on that line, that is a really easy commute to many downtown locations. Though it will be very difficult trying to find a place with metro-accessibility being a "must-have" (at least as compared to NYC, DC, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #48
JusCruzin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT M3

Quote:
I'm on the fence about what to do with the M. I don't know if grinding through LA gridlock with a 6MT sounds all that appealing. Thinking about a number of performance mods (intake, tune, pulley, wheels, exhaust) and then going out & getting somethign sensible to go to work and back with (like a 2000 VW Golf)
I learned how to drive manual on my M3 and haven't found it bad in LA traffic. On occasion, you encounter traffic where you literally have to stop every few feet, in which case the 6MT can be annoying. But I haven't really found it to be a problem in general. Of course, my commute is through Laurel Canyon and over a stretch of Mullholland Drive, so the 6MT is a lot of fun there.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #49
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Auto Talent is hands down the best shop that will cater to all your needs.
Sam is really helpful and Zolti is probably one of the most competent technicians on this planet, seriously.
Autotalent.com

As for LA, welcome!
It is a great place to own a performance car such as the M3.
It will take some time to adjust to the completely different city infrastructure but there's a lot to like.

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #50
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
There is a bus system which (as far as I have experienced) a rather miserable commuting experience, jam-packed full of sweaty, stinky people

There is a functioning metro system that is quite clean, reliable, and runs about every 10 minutes. The downside is, because of LA's sprawling nature, it does not go to a whole lot of places. It DOES run up to Pasadena (Gold line), the Red into Hollywood, and the Purple into Mid-Wilshire. If you work downtown and happen to be within walking distance of one of the stations on that line, that is a really easy commute to many downtown locations. Though it will be very difficult trying to find a place with metro-accessibility being a "must-have" (at least as compared to NYC, DC, etc.).

+1 on the train system. Not many people I know use it but I do. It isn't like NYC but it works well and it goes straight into Downtown. Look it up at Metro: http://www.metro.net/

You can live near one of the stops and it'll be a quick hop and a jump there. They are pretty cool..just I wouldn't ride them at night too late. It's pretty cheap too considering your time stuck in traffic and highway robbery gas stations prices here in Cali.

I agree with that one poster about Silverlake and stuff. Cracked me up but its true. What type of vibe are you looking for? Student type of vibe, artsy vibe, hipster vibe, gangster vibe, etc. I'm assuming you want to live so stay away from compton, south la (or south central la) and watts but i'm sure that is a given. Personally, I would feel pretty safe and happy in Pasadena area (even maybe South Pasadena (yes, its a different city). If you could get a good deal, even living in DTLA has its perks since there is so much night life. West LA/Hollywood is okay but the local street traffic would drive me up the wall.

Second to pasadena, i would consider Glendale/Burbank. The 134 freeway is pretty good. In fact, anything off of the 134 is good in the morning and if you want to go to DTLA, just take the 2 south through silverlake/eagle rock and in about 20-30 minutes, you're in DTLA.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #51
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
lol

NYC traffic is bad, and so is LAs..

I'm sure there is more breathing room to drive in LA though, and some good scenic roads in the area, etc.

Plus you have ///MFest to look forward to every year.

I wouldn't worry about gas, other than it is more expensive in California. 93 to 91 octane isn't going to hurt you.
This.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #52
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
Sam is really helpful and Zolti is probably one of the most competent technicians on this planet, seriously.
Autotalent.com

As for LA, welcome!
It is a great place to own a performance car such as the M3.
It will take some time to adjust to the completely different city infrastructure but there's a lot to like.
+1 on AutoTalent. GREAT WORK!!! They're in the "Southbay" area which is also a very cool place to live, particularly the beach cities like Manhattan/Redondo beach. You would drive to the station and then take the train into downtown.

And I think the train system is pretty good. I have friends who live in the OC, and Long Beach who work downtown. Save the wear and tear on your left knee, clutch and patience.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #53
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
Autotalent.com
Thanks for the recommendation - will definitely look them up.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #54
socalbreeze
Obey This
Rep
Drives: Audi Etron, G63, 19 NSX, 600LT

Although I never lived in NYC or the Tri-State area, I travel there about 4 times a year for business. While I love every second that I was there, but nothin' beats living in LA.

If you are looking for a suburbia type of housing, none of this; Westwood, West Hollywood, Los Feliz etc etc.. will fit your bill. That is more metro living per se.

Pasadena is great, its trendy enough that you still feel like your connected with the city but its also chill enough to remind you why you moved outta NYC in the first place. I recommend looking at areas around Lake Ave/Colorado blvd as well as old town Pasadena. You'll love it there.

The commute is not half bad. Take the 110 and you'll be at work in about 30-45 mins (with traffic)

As far as shops, I recommend The Wheel Supply in Walnut.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #55
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbreeze View Post
Although I never lived in NYC or the Tri-State area, I travel there about 4 times a year for business. While I love every second that I was there, but nothin' beats living in LA.
Yeah, I know that I'm going to miss NYC. This place has a 24-hours-a-day buzz to it that just can't be replicated elsewhere.

With that having been said, however, I'm very, very excited for the move to L.A. I'm looking forward to not having to pay 4g a month for a 1 bedroom apt

Btw, if anyone is interested in rolling to a track event in convoy or something PM me - I would certainly be interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #56
Purple88Gold
Holding Out
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 88 Honda Civic DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avly View Post
SM to DT is about 40 min in light traffic which is what you can expect given your commuting times. I commute from SM to DT at around your stated times. You'll do it in 18min without traffic cruising at 80mph.

Let me also add that you would want to work from home whenever the Lakers make the playoffs. Traffic is absolute bullshit, may they never make it again.
Dude, not funny.

Oh and if you like football, AEG is building a new football stadium IN DOWNTOWN in 2014 lmao, oh yeah traffic will only get worse, but I love it!

And, of course, the Dodgers are expected to be better next year which means packing the stadium everyday, equals the 110 Parking Lot extension.
      11-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #57
ffejk
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Haha good question.

My job is downtown; trying to figure out a neighborhood that allows for a 20-25 min commute (pasadena?)
I live DT. Its super fun if you're single and you're kinda in the center of the city if u need to go in either direction. Well OC is kinda far either which way. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #58
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post

... you can't beat WeHo. I live on Doheny and Beverly which is very central to any restaurant you might want to try, any lounge/club/bar etc. Lot of cute girls, easy to navigate the town via side streets even through rush hours.
haha so you got me with the "cute girls" part (just don't tell my gf, haha). trying temp corporate housing for the 1st month. hopefully, the commute from weho to DT isn't bad. from what i've heard, it's relatively manageable. if it sucks, it looks like pasadena will be the next option.

other thoughts:
1. having fun on the CA freeways thus far. i'm not missing the shit road quality of the east coast. i had always thought that the EDC lvl 2 was a bit ridiculous - or at least i did until i moved away. i am only now realizing that the harshness was more of a reflection of the east coast roads than the suspension itself.

2. it's really, really nice to be able to roll around without dropping $25.00 on tolls.

3. 91 octane. Argghhh! Who neutered my beast?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #59
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
So where did you decide to move to?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #60
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
So where did you decide to move to?
West Hollywood, just off Sunset.

It's temporary though ...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #61
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Interesting choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #62
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Interesting choice.
do you think that it's a mistake?

the choice was primarily driven by traffic considerations. the apt. i found is ~5 miles from work and allows access via the city streets. other areas were much further and seemed to require free usage.

i get there tonight; will test out the commute tomorrow AM.

anyway, the apt is only temp corporate housing so if it sucks i'll find a new place.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #63
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

the choice was primarily driven by traffic considerations. the apt. i found is ~5 miles from work and allows access via the city streets. other areas were much further and seemed to require free usage.

i get there tonight; will test out the commute tomorrow AM.

anyway, the apt is only temp corporate housing so if it sucks i'll find a new place.
Maybe you'll love it. For me, it's an ok area to visit, but I don't think I could ever live on the west side with the crowded streets and no parking.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #64
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:

Quote:
Well, in West Hollywood, girls aren't necessarily girls...
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #65
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Well, in West Hollywood, girls aren't necessarily girls...
haha

maybe i'm easily swayed, but you guys have me rethinking my entire plan.

if it were up to me, i'd be by the beach. but SM-DT doesn't sound feasible. my hours are long and i don't want to spend what little free time i do have grinding it out through traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #66
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

come out to some 626 area meets and we'll make you feel right at home and fill you in with any info needed.

send me a pm!
Appreciate 0