BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

08-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
2009e93m3
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93

Question Front end alignment results mixed

Hello,

I just got my car back from the dealership where they did a front-end alignment on my e93 M3.

A couple of weeks ago I hit a pothole on the highway and bent my front driver-side wheel beyond repair, as well as the driver rear wheel to a lesser extent. Upon investigation, the dealership determined that all four wheels were "out of balance" and one wheel was repaired, and the one worst off was replaced entirely.

I'm not sure how all four of my wheels would've been out of balance since the vehicle just got four brand new tires (Super Sports) from a very reputable tire shop here in town less than a year ago. But, I went along with what they said.

Finally, they did a front-end alignment after determining that the vehicle still had a slight vibration. Long story short, I got the car back and I don't feel like it corners like it used to. The suspension feels "looser" and I even lost a little front end traction following a corner (albeit fast and obnoxious, but not any worse than I usually take that turn). On the other hand, the ride feels more comfortable and less stiff.

I have the EDC, and the settings for it have remained unchanged. Is it possible that the front-end alignment took some of the "sport" out of my suspension, making the ride more comfortable, but less tight? I really can't tell if this is all in my head or not, but the car just doesn't drive the same. I haven't decided yet if this a good or a bad thing, though.

Any help is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Post a scan (or post the numbers) from your alignment sheet. The dealer should have given you one that shows before and after alignment values.
      08-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
2009e93m3
Rep

The before and after numbers are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf alignment.pdf (616.3 KB, 165 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schristm View Post
The before and after numbers are attached.
It looks like the BMW alignment technician did not complete the Caster measurement in the before or after alignment printout. So the tech and you do not know if the caster is correct. This is an important “flat-rate” short cut that shouldn’t have been done for the likely price charged. Notice that your print-out does not show a caster measurement.

To help you understand how the caster measurement is completed and some additional alignment training I have provided links below. This may be much more than you wanted to know, but I teach automotive repair and have used Hunter equipment in the lab. Many of the BMW dealers use Hunter Engineering equipment and I have been lucky enough to have their equipment during most of the 40 years that I have been teaching.

This is a link to the alignment video library:
(If you get excited to learn more about alignment)
http://www.hunter.com/videos/index.cfm?cat=2

Important- watch this video below
Watch this video to see how fast it is to check alignment with modern equipment. At 1:32 in the video you will notice that the technician turns the steering wheel left and right to measure caster. This is required for the equipment to do the calculation and provide the results on the printout. Remember this video shows the “90 second check” and does not show the technician completing the adjustments required for correction.
http://www.hunter.com/videos/index2.cfm?v=148&cat=2

In this video at 4:00 you will see what a complete alignment measurement print-out should look like and the caster measurement showing.
http://www.hunter.com/videos/index2.cfm?v=132&cat=2

Your car needed rear wheel alignment adjustments. The rear alignment changes will make the car feel different. Wheel alignment will not correct vibration. They might have re-balanced the tires to correct the problem not solved the first time, maybe he did the “flat-rate” on the tire balance also.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
2009e93m3
Rep

Thank you very much for the reply. I will watch the videos you posted, but I'm a little confused as to what I should aim to communicate to the dealership. More, specifically, can you help me put into words what I should request from them?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schristm View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. I will watch the videos you posted, but I'm a little confused as to what I should aim to communicate to the dealership. More, specifically, can you help me put into words what I should request from them?

The technician did not complete the alignment checks based on the printout. He skipped the Caster measurement, now both of us do not know if the Caster is correct or not. I paid for a complete alignment that was not done.

Describe how the car now feels when driving and ask if they will complete the alignment that you paid for. You brought the vehicle in because of the pot hole damage that bent the wheels. As part of the diagnosis the Caster measurement would be helpful, because the vehicle still does not feel correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: uhhh wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
The technician did not complete the alignment checks based on the printout. He skipped the Caster measurement, now both of us do not know if the Caster is correct or not. I paid for a complete alignment that was not done.

Describe how the car now feels when driving and ask if they will complete the alignment that you paid for. You brought the vehicle in because of the pot hole damage that bent the wheels. As part of the diagnosis the Caster measurement would be helpful, because the vehicle still does not feel correct.
You are the shit, kind sir.

Kudos for your knowledge and helping the community.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Can you also ask for the tech to make sure the toe in settings are at the factory minimal allowed in the front and back.
Appreciate 0