BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
e92mcb
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: DD Express

Unhappy OEM 19 inch wheel rubbing?

My 2012 e92 has OEM 19 inch wheels, no zcp, everything stock. I have searched the forum, but couldn't find any info about OEM wheels having rubbing problem.

The front left wheel well area makes a very loud scratching noise if I goes into a corner fast with some change of elevation. It sounds like the tire scratched something at almost full suspension compession with the wheels turned. I couldn't find any rubbing marks around the fender, but upon closer inspection, I found part of the left front wheel housing cover is scratched off.

Name:  IMG-20130328-WA0001.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20130328-WA0003.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  59.9 KB

I believe the part scratched off is the part in the red circle

Name:  front-wheel-housing-cover .jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  95.9 KB

I'm not 100% sure the scratch noise is related to this part, but it seems nothing else can scratch this part. My SA told me it is "normal" for the wheel well to rub over bumps. But it didn't happen while driving over bumps. The suspension didn't hit the bump stop as far as I can tell.

On the street, it sometimes happens on mountain road with big elevation drop followed by a slightly tight corner (EDC comfort). On the track, this happens at fast 160 km/hr sweepers (EDC sport).

Any thoughts on this? Is this normal? I have driven other M3 with OEM 18 inch wheel, and never had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I've never heard or read about any issues other then some drivers with 20" wheels going fast over rail road tracks.

I recommend you get your car onto a lift and carefully have someone inspect your left wheel inner housing to make sure it did not come loose and as a result has shifted or lowered itself from the original factory install. Also have them check your springs.

Other then that I never seen anyone mentioning rubbing issues with 19" wheels ... I'm in my 4th BMW ///M3 and all had 19" wheels. Never any issues.

Good Luck

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
e92mcb
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: DD Express

Thanks! Never thought of that. The dealer lifted it up once to check already, but they didn't notice the damage and said everything was fine. They just added oil to the suspension parts, thinking that I was just hearing squeaks. I noticed the damage after driving home and inspecting it myself one more time.

I will definitely ask my SA to check the install of the cover again. Wish everyone a nice holiday.

Last edited by e92mcb; 03-29-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I had this happen with my car and 500 miles on it. The install of my wheel well liner was done incorrectly - upon replacement no problem.
Appreciate 0