BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #111
ARES45
Major
Rep

Drives:

Just for the record, I am not pro-life, I just think there are some hipocratic pro-lifers that would quickly become pro-choice during hard times.
      09-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #112
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Palin is on record that she has firm values that abstinence should be the only spoken birth control method and is staunchly against sex education in schools... Those are political points she believes in, and they are pertinent to the breaking news story.

Well said.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #113
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
...her not giving a lot of thought on the Iraq War doesn't bother me really because that wasn't her job yet and any thought she had given to it previously would have been based on (most likely) what the media has filtered through. Giving thought to the war on a presidential level as opposed to a member of society is two different things...
By that logic, no one is either qualified or unqualified to be president until they've actually been president. We should all reserve judgement about every candidate. I disagree. I think we can look at a candidates statements and come to a conclusion about how prepared they are.

Question: Ares, before you starting flying in combat, weren't you trained first? Or did you CLAIM you were qualified and they just put you in a gunship and wait patiently for you to figure it out? My guess is you were trained first, in some form. I wouldn't give Palin the job with the hope that she'll somehow figure it out as she goes.

We should expect our highest elected officials to have a GOOD answer to a question about Iraq, EVEN if it doesn't have the advantage of every possible intelligence insight. Unfortunately, we have little better yardsticks to measure politicians than by what they say and what they do. Palin hasn't done anything in the foreign policy and what she says is virtually meaningless.

I wish you wouldn't give her such a huge pass.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #114
ARES45
Major
Rep

Drives:

I am unfamiliar with when she was asked how much thought she has given to the Iraq war, so I don't want to condemn her for it just yet. Her decisions as a vice presidential candidate should be based on what is best for the country and not what she thought of the Iraq war as a governor of Alaska. I may be giving her a pass, but I feel she probably just wanted to discuss the issue with Mccain prior to answering. It is highly unlikely she hasn't thought about the war as a mother with a son deploying.
      09-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #115
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm really not shocked by the whole pregnancy bit. I'm really enjoying the spin. This shows great strength! All she shows is a great thirst for power. She has an infant child with special needs and a teenage daughter that got knocked up. Knowing her plate was so full she should have respectfully said no thank you.

These Alaskans sure do talk. Everybody seems to know everybody...Very wise of Obama to let the public draw their own conclusions about Palin. Lets see what they find out this week. McCain obviously chose her to be his saving grace or wild card. IMHO, its not turning out to be one. Lets see how this week goes and see what else comes to the surface. I do feel bad for her family though. Its hard enough to deal with such problems but to have the media watching!! Its got to be mortifying.
      09-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #116
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
I think we can look at a candidates statements and come to a conclusion about how prepared they are.

May I suggest listening to what someone says may be one indication as to how prepared they are for the challenges ahead; however, many other factors must be considered like their life experience background, educational level, and how they have acted or reacted to certain situations in the past. And keep in mind someone can have personal convictions but when in a leadership position the welfare of the many can outweigh the welfare of the one dictated by the specific situation and circumstances at the time the decision needs to be made.

We should expect our highest elected officials to have a GOOD answer to a question about Iraq, EVEN if it doesn't have the advantage of every possible intelligence insight.

We should expect our elected officials who have opportunity to listen to the facts at the time to have a truthful response to a specific question covering those facts.
Call
      09-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #117
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I am unfamiliar with when she was asked how much thought she has given to the Iraq war, so I don't want to condemn her for it just yet. Her decisions as a vice presidential candidate should be based on what is best for the country and not what she thought of the Iraq war as a governor of Alaska. I may be giving her a pass, but I feel she probably just wanted to discuss the issue with Mccain prior to answering. It is highly unlikely she hasn't thought about the war as a mother with a son deploying.
We also do not know the context in which the question was asked.

Call
      09-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #118
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I'm really not shocked by the whole pregnancy bit. I'm really enjoying the spin. This shows great strength! All she shows is a great thirst for power. She has an infant child with special needs and a teenage daughter that got knocked up. Knowing her plate was so full she should have respectfully said no thank you.

You presume to know the size of Gov. Palin's plate. If it had been a father in the same situation would you feel the same way or do you think the mother should handle all such things? I'll take someone who acts over someone who reacts in situations every time. Palin's actions speak louder that the reactions of the crowd.

These Alaskans sure do talk. Everybody seems to know everybody...Very wise of Obama to let the public draw their own conclusions about Palin. Lets see what they find out this week. McCain obviously chose her to be his saving grace or wild card. IMHO, its not turning out to be one. Lets see how this week goes and see what else comes to the surface. I do feel bad for her family though. Its hard enough to deal with such problems but to have the media watching!! Its got to be mortifying.
I guess you can say our perspective is somewhat different. And if you can't stand the media watching you better get out of politics. I wouldn't think either candidate is mortified by anything...at least not at this stage of the game...come the day after Nov 4th you might see a few mortified long faces...more the result of the missteps of an adult than the folly of a child.

Call
      09-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #119
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think we can look at a candidates statements and come to a conclusion about how prepared they are.

May I suggest listening to what someone says may be one indication as to how prepared they are for the challenges ahead; however, many other factors must be considered like their life experience background, educational level, and how they have acted or reacted to certain situations in the past. And keep in mind someone can have personal convictions but when in a leadership position the welfare of the many can outweigh the welfare of the one dictated by the specific situation and circumstances at the time the decision needs to be made.

We should expect our highest elected officials to have a GOOD answer to a question about Iraq, EVEN if it doesn't have the advantage of every possible intelligence insight.

We should expect our elected officials who have opportunity to listen to the facts at the time to have a truthful response to a specific question covering those facts.
Call
      09-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #120
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Drives: :

Jan 2005 to Feb 2007 == 143 days???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Now about that spin you were talking about. It's spin when you attempt to mislead with 1/2 thruths and refuse to talk about the question at hand. Speaking the truth about the question at hand is called...speaking the truth.

You indicate Barack has 8 years in Congress and 3 years in the House. Please give me a break. His political experience is well documented and discussed so I'll have to assume you meant to mislead or just lie about it.

He was a member of the Illinois Senate from the 13th District from 1-8-97 to 11-4-04; elected to the US Senate from the state of Illinois and took office 1-4-05. Was a member of the US Senate for a total of 143 days when he announced he was running for President. He does have a hell of a lot of experience in running for President.....

Call
Call,

I don't want to step into the middle of your argument, but I find it completely funny that there you are ripping into this guy for 1/2 truths, spin, yadda yadda yadda, and you drop your own misrepresentations right in the middle of your rant bashing somebody else!

The history is clear on when Obama "announced he was running for President."

You claim that 143 days from "1-4-05" that Obama "announced he was running for President." This could only be true if there were only about 70 days in each year. Because even Fox News reported that Obama announced he war running for President in Feb. 2007.

That would be more than two years, not 143 days.

From Fox news:
"Sen. Obama Formally Announces Plans for White House Bid
Sunday, February 11, 2007"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251293,00.html

WIKI:
"Saturday, February 10, 2007
Senator Barack Obama Junior Illinois Senator Barack Obama officially announced his presidential candidacy, today, in Springfield, Illinois."
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Senator_...tial_candidacy

More from ABC news:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2...C-RSSFeeds0312

Maybe you should provide your own sources. By sources, I don't mean republican hack sites that simply repeat the hack attack, but the original source of that information. Because your claim that Obama "Was a member of the US Senate for a total of 143 days when he announced he was running for President." has just been proven to be a false statement.

I'm interested to see what your dance of choice will be around this one. Will your response be something like:
1) I didn't mean to say that, I meant something else. You should just laugh this off, can't you dems ever take a joke when we lie about you?
2) No really, I've heard that Obama was only a member of the US Senate for a total of 143 days when he announced he was running for President from MANY reliable republican sources. If we republicans repeat it enough, it couldn't be wrong!!
3) no response at all? That way Call can continue to repeat the same exact charges over and over as if he never saw this post?
4) A personal attack on me, or Obama, or Biden, or the Dixie Chicks in order to change the subject?

This should be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:22 AM   #121
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
I think he was referring to ACTIVE days of the U.S. Senate (when the Senate was actually in session). Senators are Senators for the entire year but the Senate is not in session the entire year....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #122
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Nixon, I'll assume your response is due to your inexperience with how the political system works here in America and I'll not hold that inexperience against you.

I'll also assume you just came into the country from somewhere they don't get the news, don't have internet and maybe the folks there just have other things to do.

Now, how about going back and reading my posts and do your research...I'm not going to do it for you. Obama's official announcement that he was running for President was on 2-11-07, agreed. Because of the way the laws for campaigning and running for office are stipulated you establish an exploritory committee to show to the Party you intend on representing you would be a viable candidate. In other words, you get out and let people know who you are and what you will do for them. It's sort of like letting them know that you want to represent them and their interests in Washington. He/She has to convence enough folks to commit to you...that's the same thing as running because when you officially announce you continue doing the same thing...trying to get people to commit to voting for you.

It's not like he awoke on the morning of 2-11-07 and decided to run for office. There is a lot of prepping for the announcement and certain laws govern how you can go about it and how you report your activities and fundraising.

May I call to your attention your posted quotes where it says, "officially announced"...it didn't say "announced" because he had already done that...it's just the way you have to do it by law.

As for my sources of information the list would be too long to place here but suffice it to say I check information from unimpeachable sources not supported by any party. You actually can find the truth about an issue if you bother to search properly...that is if you are searching for the truth or just don't care what the truth is.

As to your specific questions on how I would respond:
1) I meant exactly what I said because when you speak the truth you don't have to worry about the sources.
2) I went to Obama's website to get the background for when he started running for office.
3) If you always say the truth you don't have to worry about what you said and you don't have to run from any issue...so here I am. I'll let the truth stand for itself.
4) I really like staying on the subject and I don't make personal attacks on anyone. Oh, and the last time I looked the Dixie Chicks are not running for office and it was you who are trying to change the subject.

I hope you find my post informative and interesting.

Call
      09-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #123
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Sorry, Scott. Did not mean to insult you. Her daughter was the daughter of a Governor. That is kind of a spotlight position. Postion of power. I feel for her also and I'm sure she will be given the best care possible. Obama has even told the press to call off the dogs. Lets see if it works.

And they should be called off and he does own the press so maybe they will back off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #124
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
By that logic, no one is either qualified or unqualified to be president until they've actually been president. We should all reserve judgement about every candidate. I disagree. I think we can look at a candidates statements and come to a conclusion about how prepared they are.

Question: Ares, before you starting flying in combat, weren't you trained first? Or did you CLAIM you were qualified and they just put you in a gunship and wait patiently for you to figure it out? My guess is you were trained first, in some form. I wouldn't give Palin the job with the hope that she'll somehow figure it out as she goes.

We should expect our highest elected officials to have a GOOD answer to a question about Iraq, EVEN if it doesn't have the advantage of every possible intelligence insight. Unfortunately, we have little better yardsticks to measure politicians than by what they say and what they do. Palin hasn't done anything in the foreign policy and what she says is virtually meaningless.

I wish you wouldn't give her such a huge pass.

I wish you wouldn't give your candidate for POTUS such a huge pass.

He is not prepared for anything except ramble rousing and sitting in hate mongering churches.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #125
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I meant exactly what I said because when you speak the truth you don't have to worry about the sources.

Call
Wow. There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #126
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Come on...try...you can do it...well, maybe you can do it...I'll listen...can't never could.

Call