BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #89
kawchkjf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw m3

You guys are kidding me right?

You want a car that is built by a person who is paid well, has vacation, and awesome benefits. All of these things can be done in China.

But the reason why it's sourced out, is so that companies can save on those things. Rendering poor products.

Just because it's China made, it doesn't mean it will be bad. Anything is good as long as you have the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #90
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Part of the issue is culture. Germany are well know for being up tight and meticulous in they way the live their lives as well as how they do their jobs. China is the exact opposite. Everything is kind of half assed there. Sure, you can get stuff made cheaply, but their isn't the ingrained emphasis on taking the time to do things right there. The culture standard is for doing things fast and cheap over quality and expense. Even most chinese admit that and why the chinese themselves equate foreign made products with being better quality. Maybe a germany company can overcome that culture with Chinese employees working in a chinese factory, but it would be an uphill battle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #91
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I hate this thread!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #92
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
Part of the issue is culture. Germany are well know for being up tight and meticulous in they way the live their lives as well as how they do their jobs.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I think the bigger question is whether another industralized country can make the M3 better than the Germans? The only one that comes to mind is the Japanese...for one a Japanese made M3 will not have electrical issues which the Germans never seem to grasp.

Imagine a M3 that was made by Honda? That would be LEGENDARY!! Would never have to worry about subframe failures or any other mechanical issues. German quality control has a while to go.
I can answer that with a resounding NO..I lived and worked in Europe including Germany..spent countless hours auditing companies in Dusseldorf, Munich, Berlin...I have yet to see a group of people with a more meticulous attention to detail and anality for perfection than the Germans..my 2 cents from personal experience..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #93
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
pretty much everything else in the US is made in China, or Taiwan, or Asia.
If I want an Asian car, I'd buy one from an Asian car maker.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #94
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I hate this thread!!!!
you can't handle the truth!

01-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #95
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Part of the issue is culture. Germany are well know for being up tight and meticulous in they way the live their lives as well as how they do their jobs.
they are perfectionists
open up any german car and compare to the japanese car
obvious differences
on a lexus for example
the parts you see are great, but open up the dashboard (like when you remove the stereo for example)
and all the wires are wrapped using the cheap black electrical tape
open up the BMW (or audi, mercedes etc) and they use the more expensive cloth tape.
the germans wont do something, unless they do it to the best of their abilities
same can't be said for the chinese or italians, french etc
germans, by nature, don't cut corners.

just don't expect humour out of them
      01-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #96
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

It doesn't matter where cars and car parts are made. The Chinese are just as capable of building a quality product as anybody else...at least, that's what Ford thought when it decided to put a Chinese transmission in the 2011 Mustang. The result speaks for itself:

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #97
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Part of the issue is culture. Germany are well know for being up tight and meticulous in they way the live their lives as well as how they do their jobs. China is the exact opposite. Everything is kind of half assed there. Sure, you can get stuff made cheaply, but their isn't the ingrained emphasis on taking the time to do things right there. The culture standard is for doing things fast and cheap over quality and expense. Even most chinese admit that and why the chinese themselves equate foreign made products with being better quality. Maybe a germany company can overcome that culture with Chinese employees working in a chinese factory, but it would be an uphill battle.
Are you sure?

The Chinese have a culture of being very hardworking because they were mostly a people that were very poor and had to labour in the fields. I sure was taught to aim for excellence - no, actually perfection - in everything I did. And study and work for hours and hours on end.

I would bet that those poor, extremely hard working Chinese factory workers strive very hard to do the best job they can. But it's their greedy, arrogant, rich, abusive bosses who don't pay them shit, push them to produce far faster than they're capable of, and who pocket $$$ essentially all the profit that leads to the poor quality issues.
      01-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #98
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/11/world/...ss_igoogle_cnn
      01-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #99
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Yep. Its these damn contractors who prey off these poor laborers and provide them with substandard pay and working conditions. Chinese contractors are to blame and not the hardworking Chinese people.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #100
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
DAMN!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #101
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I see everyone as being equal ... as far as products being build anywhere in the world it all depends on ...

Proper training = knowledge

Proper tools = good quality

Proper pay = happy work force

then combine the above with Good Leadership you will end up with ...

Good Leadership + Knowledge + Quality + Happy Work Force = Quality End Product

So it should not make a difference at all if produced in any part of the world, if however the chain is broken (mainly by top management) then this simple formula is no longer valid. Product recall follows and finally closure of a plant. In my mind there simply is too much greed to reduce costs (look at major companies once the leaders were Engineers, now replaced by Accountants) on the final product ... all this is fine as far as cost reduction is concerned etc, however if it affects the final product then the results eventually lead to failure. My 2 cents anyway on this subject.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #102
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Maybe we should just have car companies with no shareholders. Now isn't that a pleasant thought..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #103
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Maybe we should just have car companies with no shareholders. Now isn't that a pleasant thought..
That would work in any industry
I know I might be in a minority
But i think the obsession with the share price is what's hitting reliability in most fields
All you worry about is that upward slope of your share price
Nothing else
As long as your share price is worth more than it was last month
You'll get your big fat bonus
I can cut 25% cost of any company I'm given to manage for a few years
But at what cost?
R&D?
Pensions?
Price/quality of components?
      01-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #104
jrswann
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #105
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
This is a very good example of what might happen. We had a Rabbit (which is like a golf) that kept having headlight issues. Even now we joke about it every time we see a VW car with a headlight out (which we see very often). Very shady quality.
Very funny you mention this! I too have noticed that if you see a car going down the highway with a taillight or headlight out, 9 times out of 10 it is a VW. I have owned many VW's and have changed lots of bulbs for sure. I am not sure what they do different with their electrical systems that causes this!
      01-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #106
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
That would work in any industry
I know I might be in a minority
But i think the obsession with the share price is what's hitting reliability in most fields
All you worry about is that upward slope of your share price
Nothing else
As long as your share price is worth more than it was last month
You'll get your big fat bonus
I can cut 25% cost of any company I'm given to manage for a few years
But at what cost?
R&D?
Pensions?
Price/quality of components?
Exactly, companies like fixed costs, not variable costs. Corporations thrive with the buy in from their shareholders, and who wants to buy in on a company with decreased profit margins...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #107
JS11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

i would prefer to have the engines made where the engineers can oversee the production on a daily basis. i don't think bmw can do that anywhere in the world other than germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #108
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Very funny you mention this! I too have noticed that if you see a car going down the highway with a taillight or headlight out, 9 times out of 10 it is a VW. I have owned many VW's and have changed lots of bulbs for sure. I am not sure what they do different with their electrical systems that causes this!
I actually think it is a scam. Let me explain. Once one of the headlights went out in our 07 Rabbit. We were lazy, and didn't do anything about it for like 2-3 weeks. Out of the clear blue sky, one morning the headlight was working again... True story.

It is a cash cow for VW.. Lights go out every once in a while to make you take your car to service. There, it is a scam.
      01-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #109
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
I am not taking a position either way. I think both sides of this debate have points to make.

Currently, China is undergoing pains that all countries who are post industrial revolution have undergone. It's workers are fighting low wages and deplorable working conditions. I believe they will eventually prevail. Until then, it is still cheaper to manufacture things there.

I don't think saying that Chinese autos are crap and other countries' cars are modern is really too relevant. Remember the Beetle? A total piece of stamped crap by anyone's current standard, yet very popular in developing countries where cheap transportation is a necessity. We buy things like airbags in this country because we can now afford them; notice there was no interest in such a mandate back in the 70's when airbag technology was developed. So saying that Chinese autos are cheap crap might be true now, but it's not relevant to whether the Chinese are capable of making BMW engines. They likely are capable of doing so.

The issue of whether you choose to support China in its current form is a different question.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #110
hasan
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi, e60 m5

I will as long as ///M sign on it
Appreciate 0