BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Failure rate for iPhones is reportedly 26% within two years. You are talking about a mass produced product which is very easily replaced by simply going to your local cell phone dealer and exchanging it.

Apples and oranges.

Soure: http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/law...n-3-years.html
Way to be selective with your facts.

From your source:
The two-year failure rate for iPhones is reportedly better than the industry average and only 7.5% of the reported failures were due to a hardware malfunction according to SquareTrade, the warranty provider for the iPhone.

18.1% of the 26% are from accidental damage. And the iPhone is doing better than the industry average.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
well people buy volkswagons made in portugal, mexico etc
BMWs made in south africa, austria
Chryslers made in canada and mexico

keep in mind this is a regional xenophobic thing as well
i knew a few people who were aprehensive about the then new X5 , when it came out, because it wasn't made in germany but was built in the US.

my brother has an E39 520i built in Egypt
its now close to 10 years old and has performed pretty good
as long as the quality control is sufficient, you can make things anywhere
      01-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Failure rate for iPhones is reportedly 26% within two years. You are talking about a mass produced product which is very easily replaced by simply going to your local cell phone dealer and exchanging it.

Apples and oranges.

Soure: http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/law...n-3-years.html
Agreed completely. I'd add that outsourcing to China would be done so for cost saving benefits to BMW. These cost savings should theoretically be passed onto customers. If such a decision is made, and we don't see a price drop, it is this reason that I would not buy it.
      01-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Agreed completely. I'd add that outsourcing to China would be done so for cost saving benefits to BMW. These cost savings should theoretically be passed onto customers. If such a decision is made, and we don't see a price drop, it is this reason that I would not buy it.
+100

that's exactly where I'm at on this..if they are going to cut their labor cost in half, lets say, then I better not be paying $76k for my M3 if its being mfg in China. I'm not in it to fatten shareholders' wallets, no matter how good it drives or performs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Way to be selective with your facts.

From your source:
The two-year failure rate for iPhones is reportedly better than the industry average and only 7.5% of the reported failures were due to a hardware malfunction according to SquareTrade, the warranty provider for the iPhone.

18.1% of the 26% are from accidental damage. And the iPhone is doing better than the industry average.

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Perhaps you mistake my post for a knock on iPhones. It is not. iPhones are fantastic and better than than the industry average. The point of the post was to point out that comparing S65 engines to iPhones is hardly a good comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #28
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
US made engine - YES

China made engine - Heck NO
      01-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I would not do it ... that would be the time I would move to something like a C6.3 AMG ... then I will NOT worry about it my 2012 will do me well over time ... I drove my e46 for 6 years plus so my 2012 has to last longer then that and it will

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

hmmm probably still consider it but the perhaps misconception of it being of a lower quality build might turn me away...
      01-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #31
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
lol @ the ignorance in this thread.

FYI, there is already a BMW factory in China.

globalization....can't stop it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I buy tons of chinese made products, I happened to prefer my engine to be made by my fellow Germans - nothing wrong with that.
BMW will still be engineered by Germans, but when it comes to assembly, that's a different story. There are BMW factories already in countries outside of Germany as someone already pointed out. They could also assemble the engines in Germany, and ship them to China for final car assembly, assuming the it is more cost effective to do so. Also, BMW has divisions all over the world when it comes to designing BMW cars. So to me, its all relative since some guy at BMW Division in California or whatever is designing component A, some guy in Germany component B, and someone elsewhere in the world component C.

doesn't make a difference to me where the M brand is assembled so long as quality, standards, and performance are the same.

I'm willing to bet that if M Division started up an assembly plant in China, or Asia, no one would really notice the difference assuming everything were the same. Same goes if it started up a M assembly plant here in the US.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 01-09-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
It would make a difference to me where the engine would get assembled. If the engine isn't built by Dieter, Hans, Jochen, Wolfgang or Guenther - I ain't buying it. And I don't give a shit if people think this is xenophobic or not. I support strong unions, good work environments, good pay, and most importantly good beer on the job.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #34
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I work in an industry that has begun to source most of their material from China the past few years. I constantly see failures due to materials not meeting their stated properties...I just don't trust chinese made parts on such a complex engine, which is highly dependent on material properties & manufacturing precision.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogs08 View Post
I work in an industry that has begun to source most of their material from China the past few years. I constantly see failures due to materials not meeting their stated properties...I just don't trust chinese made parts on such a complex engine, which is highly dependent on material properties & manufacturing precision.
How dare you speak the truth here you horrific xenophobe.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
They really don't have to do that.
I travel to PRC 5-6 times a year and know a reasonable amount about the car market there. The cost of an imported vehicle in PRC is about 2x to 3x than the US pricing - luxury vehicles tend to be closer to 3x. So an M3 would cost an equivalent of ~$220K there. Companies that manufacture vehicles in PRC sell for roughly the same pricing as what we'd see here in the US (GM and VW were leaders in PRC mfg).

That said, 7-series BMWs are in high-demand in PRC as a status symbol, but that's a fairly narrow market. Getting BMWs economically viable for the middle class could very well depend on a manufacturing presence there.
      01-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Were you dropped on your head as a child?
So that's how I got that flat spot on my head

Quote:
Perhaps you mistake my post for a knock on iPhones. It is not.
My bad. Apologies.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
It would make a difference to me where the engine would get assembled. If the engine isn't built by Dieter, Hans, Jochen, Wolfgang or Guenther - I ain't buying it. And I don't give a shit if people think this is xenophobic or not. I support strong unions, good work environments, good pay, and most importantly good beer on the job.
well then I guess you will be disappointed since BMW designs cars from different offices around the world. Wasn't the overall design of the e9x 3 series initiated by Chris Bangle? He is not even German, but American http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Bangle

And Van Hooydonk isn't German either

(i know both don't specifically design engines, but I hope you can see my point)

That and same goes for sourcing for parts.

I'm all about German Engineering, but I'm realistic that BMW is going to favor the bottom line, cost and savings.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 01-09-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #39
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

No Way. They'll put Gemlins in the engine. (or maybe engines in the Gremlin)
Attached Images

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
well then I guess you will be disappointed since BMW designs cars from different offices around the world. Wasn't the overall design of the e9x 3 series initiated by Chris Bangle? He is not even German, but American http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Bangle

And Van Hooydonk isn't German either

(i know both don't specifically design engines, but I hope you can see my point)

That and same goes for sourcing for parts.

I'm all about German Engineering, but I'm realistic that BMW is going to favor the bottom line, cost and savings.
The S65 engine was developed by Helmut Himmel and Herbert Vögele from the M GmbH. The engine is assembled in Landshut and Regensburg.

Origin of assembly matters to me, but obviously not everybody.

There are many opinions, but this one is mine.
Yup, to each his own.

Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #41
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Nope. I had an X5 that blew head gasket twice before 20k miles. Was bought back by BMW under lemon law. Not sure where the engine was built but the car was assembled in South Carolina.
      01-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'll preface this by stating that I come from a psuedo-manufacturing/engineering background - I would not buy a vehicle with a chinese-made engine for the following reasons:

-outsourcing manufacturing to China in my opinion has contributed to the financial state north america is currently in (eliminating jobs, etc)
-in my opinion, a significant portion of the manufacturing industry in china has little regard for worker safety
-from what I've experienced, certain industries spend more effort "looking good and professional" versus actually creating a quality product. To back this up, read up on the welding construction of the birds nest stadium in Beiging
-Offers for counterfit products (I'm not talking purses here) from China are absolutely everywhere

I shop for an alternative to Chinese made products whenever I can, with a strong bias to those manufactured in North America. Sure, buying third-world made goods is cheap now, but i can see what this has cost us. As far as engines are concerned, do you want them manufactured in a country that has no problem setting up "dummy factories" (to appear as though all quality measures are in place and working conditions are top notch) for foreign inspectors? I certainly don't.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Don't believe I would. Something just wouldn't seem right about it.
      01-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #44
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
I'll preface this by stating that I come from a psuedo-manufacturing/engineering background - I would not buy a vehicle with a chinese-made engine for the following reasons:

-outsourcing manufacturing to China in my opinion has contributed to the financial state north america is currently in (eliminating jobs, etc)
-in my opinion, a significant portion of the manufacturing industry in china has little regard for worker safety
-from what I've experienced, certain industries spend more effort "looking good and professional" versus actually creating a quality product. To back this up, read up on the welding construction of the birds nest stadium in Beiging
-Offers for counterfit products (I'm not talking purses here) from China are absolutely everywhere

I shop for an alternative to Chinese made products whenever I can, with a strong bias to those manufactured in North America. Sure, buying third-world made goods is cheap now, but i can see what this has cost us. As far as engines are concerned, do you want them manufactured in a country that has no problem setting up "dummy factories" (to appear as though all quality measures are in place and working conditions are top notch) for foreign inspectors? I certainly don't.

Nice post.
Appreciate 0