BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #23
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
Your brother does read the forums also. Driving it once a week to work is good advice. Driving it for straight month works also, but park it in BFE when you go to public places, it had zero dings when I left and it best not have any when I come back. Remember though, you drive it for a month, I'm gonna take your Dct out for a month as reciprocation. Enjoy it in good health, aren't you happy I talked you into getting an M3 over an 335is?
LMFAO!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I was wondering what to do with my car when I was gone for 30+ days. I opted not to give the keys to the person house sitting for the fear of a Beuler as well...
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watuphomie View Post
Brothers on vacation for a month. Asked me to run the car like once a week. Do I need to take it around the block, or just start the engine and have it run for a few minutes? I am tempted to use it full time while his gone, but I don\'t want to mess up his car though. I ordered an m3 convertible through ED so I have to wait till may to pick up my car. So I would love to borrow my brothers car for the month. It\'s just too tempting.

So what is the proper procedure?
Run the engine for a few minutes?
Drive it around the block?
Borrow it for the month he\'s gone?

Second time posting. Sadly the first one was unsuccessful.
If you ask a BMW knowledgeable SA he will tell you ... add 10% air pressure to the tires (prevents flat spots) and disconnect the battery (prevents the battery from draining).

That is what I was told when I stored my Z4 for the winter 2009 to 2010 winter.

I did not do this, I only increased the tire air pressure and drove the car around the block every 2 to 3 weeks or so (car was parked in the garage at all times).

So in my opinion ... a) add about 4 psig air to each tire (or 10% above recommended) and b) do not disconnect the battery and drive around the block a few times 2 weeks after your brother left for vacation.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
Your brother does read the forums also. Driving it once a week to work is good advice. Driving it for straight month works also, but park it in BFE when you go to public places, it had zero dings when I left and it best not have any when I come back. Remember though, you drive it for a month, I'm gonna take your Dct out for a month as reciprocation. Enjoy it in good health, aren't you happy I talked you into getting an M3 over an 335is?
Busted. So he can beat you up and he is smarter than you. Ouch !
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

1 month is nothing... you can store it and leave it and dont touch it...

last time i had my car store for 3 months... just took the negative and when i came back installed the negative and started the car.. no harm done

EDIT: but tell your brother that the forum stated that you need to drive it twice a week... LOL

2ND EDIT: LMAO... just read the brother's response... LOL
      01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
jwarner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Alpine White ZCP

It's only a month. If you want to be safe, put it on a trickle charger. The only thing at risk for a car sitting for 30 days is the battery, which a $35 charger will preserve.

If you decide you are going to drive the car, you might first wish to check with your insurance agent. Since you are the custodian of the car for 30 days, you might wish to confirm that you will be covered if you drive it. This is a different scenario than if your brother just lets you drive it once... he has left the car with you and instructed you to care for it. Therefore, if you are going to be driving it, you should confirm that you don't need an insurance rider on it (I would bet that you do).

Conceivably, if you drive it and wreck it (or somebody hits you), your existing policies may not cover these circumstances. This is both improbable, but also very expensive if it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Big brother is watching! Really, too funny!

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0