BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Congrats to US Buyers....... but Why?

First of all, on the basis that the US Pricing Info recently posted is accurate, congratulations to US M3 Buyers. What a deal!

What I can't understand is why? Seriously, other than the fact that UK cars are right hand driven, why do you guys get such a good deal?

It seems that a car of identical spec to mine will cost something like $75k in the US and I paid (as did many others) around £57k or approx $100k!

It's not a major issue 'cause I can't change it and don't really have much choice in the matter but I am very curious as to why?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Viper

this doesnt just reflect the M3 purchase. pretty much ANY car is going to be at least 1/3, if not double the price in EUROPE. i actually have a friend that buys cars here, drives them for a year and then ships them over to europe to sell AND still makes a profit.

in all reality though, i think our prices are just the way they need to be. you folks seem to be paying WAY over whats necessary. in other words, our cars aren't cheap, its just that yours are too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Do you have to pay $800/month for health insurance for your family(this is the company-subsidized price, mind you)?

Is your country currently in so much debt that you, personally, owe investors around the world (mostly the Chinese) 40-50k?

etc
etc
etc

These are just two examples of why it's different. To normalize it, I think the best way would be to compare the lifestyles/demographics of the buyers. For example, it sounds like you need to be quite rich to afford one in India. As for why it's different, I have no idea -- if it's just sales, if BMW priced the M3 that cheaply in the UK, would there sales go up? Someone has a formula/calculation somewhere about this, I am sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
in all reality though, i think our prices are just the way they need to be. you folks seem to be paying WAY over whats necessary. in other words, our cars aren't cheap, its just that yours are too expensive

It seems we pay more for almost anything! But there must be a reason why? It can't be our VAT at 17.5% can it? You must have sales taxes?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Add education costs to the list. Sending two teenagers to college can cost you ~$100k/year ($400k in total; that's a lot of money) if your household income is high enough for you to be able to afford a new BMW. Also, social security is a joke here. You have to save for your own unemployment or retirement scenarios. And, I realize this does not apply to the UK, but in most other parts of the world luxury cars such as the M3 are taxed like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Add education costs to the list. Sending two teenagers to college can cost you ~$100k per year if your household income is high enough for you to be able to afford a new BMW. Also, social security is a joke here. You have to save for your own unemployment or retirement scenarios.
Yep, I've started putting money away since the birth of my daughter. Quite a chunk of change. I also enjoy ~$100k left in student loans. Yay!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

in all reality though...you can't look at it as a conversion of how much a $ is towards euro...here is why. a household that makes 100K a year (USD), and a household that mkes 100K (euros) is EXACTLY the same thing. ALTHOUH the value of the $ compared to euro is nowhere near each other, the life style and expenses are about the same. for example, a gallon of milk in germany may cost 3 euros, and here it costs $3...although 3 euros is $5 ?!? (give or take)...catch my drift

the other day i was talkin go to a good buddy of mine in germany...he told me that the new M3 went for about 70,000 euros...here a well equipped M3 will go for $70,000...same number, just different value

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
It seems we pay more for almost anything! But there must be a reason why? It can't be our VAT at 17.5% can it? You must have sales taxes?
That is by state, and there is none in my state, but we pay more in income tax. VAT sounds like a big rip.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Do you have to pay $800/month for health insurance for your family(this is the company-subsidized price, mind you)?

Is that a must? Private Health Cover in the UK for a whole family is not that different to £400 monthly for quality cover.

As for China, I've got no idea how that has come to manifest itself as private debt? I mean if it's a trading deficit then fine but how is it personal?

Maybe it's just supply and demand characteristics, price differentiation for different markets, but how can it be justified?

The Web has brought the whole world closer together, so now it is far easier to see price differentials.

I used to work for a CA based firm (in San Fran) and when we brought them to the UK it was a rule of thumb; what's $1 will be sold at £1.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
in all reality though...you can't look at it as a conversion of how much a $ is towards euro...here is why. a household that makes 100K a year (USD), and a household that mkes 100K (euros) is EXACTLY the same thing. ALTHOUH the value of the $ compared to euro is nowhere near each other, the life style and expenses are about the same. for example, a gallon of milk in germany may cost 3 euros, and here it costs $3...although 3 euros is $5 ?!? (give or take)...catch my drift

the other day i was talkin go to a good buddy of mine in germany...he told me that the new M3 went for about 70,000 euros...here a well equipped M3 will go for $70,000...same number, just different value
Yes, currencies fluctuate. You must all remember how strong the dollar was before all this started. If things were that way still, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Yes, currencies fluctuate. You must all remember how strong the dollar was before all this started. If things were that way still, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
If things still were that way, BMW wouldn't have a profit margin "problem" neither...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
very true

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Even at $1.60 v GBP, you guys would still have an advantage. I guess it comes down to what the market will take from a pure S + D viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I dont know how many times I have said it and yet it still gets disregarded on this forum. But the US is receiving more than double the amount of M3's as anywhere else, including the UK.

This is a simple supply vs demand issue. Out of 100K M3's planned, half of them will go to the US alone. Thats huge... that means the US receives 300%-400% more supply than any other country. The M3's have to be priced to sell and compete!

This is simply basic economics....

Jason
      01-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
Is that a must?
Yes, it is. Technically, you cannot get treatment if you are not covered or not willing to pay. In an emergency, they will treat you, and then send you a bill. If you can't pay the bill, you will go bankrupt, and they will take over and cash in your assets.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #16
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

this may be off topic if a little but last winter when i went to Paris (FRA)...i entered a McDonalds with a buddy of mine and we ended up paying 29euros for 2 meals lol...thats about $50, go figure

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
But the US is receiving more than double the amount of M3's as anywhere else, including the UK.

Jason
that may be true, but this is NOT just limited to the M3. any car will be less expensive in the US compared to other countries for whatever reason...whether its a Ferrari or a KIA...same rules apply

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I dont know how many times I have said it and yet it still gets disregarded on this forum. But the US is receiving more than double the amount of M3's as anywhere else, including the UK. This is simply basic economics....Jason
So, BMW are getting amazing margins from the UK, huh? Well, they got me as a customer on 2 occasions over the last 2 years so they must be doing something right.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
JB you got nothing...

My M3, with a slight discount, is AUD$178,000 thats currently USD$159,736 or GBP 81,585.............
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
JB you got nothing...

My M3, with a slight discount, is AUD$178,000 thats currently USD$159,736 or GBP 81,585.............

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Quote:
this may be off topic if a little but last winter when i went to Paris (FRA)...i entered a McDonalds with a buddy of mine and we ended up paying 29euros for 2 meals lol...thats about $50, go figure
Wtf, how hungry were you exactly?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

just seen the avatar j/k
Appreciate 0