BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Kudos to TMPS...

I've been a skeptic about TMPS and the like, preferring to check my tires the old fashioned way. But, TPMS saved my front rim today. Family and I were getting ready to go on a short trip, but once I started the car the warning came on about the pressure in the right front tire. Since the car is tucked up tight on the right next to a metal wire separator to the next parking space, I had to reverse it back a bit to see the tire. It was completely flat and the 2-3 inch cut in the sidewall (far from the tread) was pretty obvious. Looks like someone took a scalpel to it, the cut went through the sidewall belts/wire. I'm pretty sure it was done when the car was parked as it could not have held air for even a second with that gash.

Had I driven it even a few minutes on the cobblestone road just outside our place, I'm sure the rim would have suffered some serious damage. And of course, had the cut been less deep and had held air, we might have suffered a bad blow out on the highway. So much to be grateful for...

Now, I've got to replace two front tires and hopefully can find a semi-decent deal here in Paris (Tirerack is the other option, but our State-side mail is running slow these days).

TPMS gets a thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BC Forged Wheels

Plus One! TPMS are definitely a great safety feature on cars. =)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Close one! TPMS are definitely handy. Hopefully version 2 will have real time pressure readings instead of just red, yellow, or green.
      10-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Close one! TPMS are definitely handy. Hopefully version 2 will have real time pressure readings instead of just red, yellow, or green.
+1

OP, are Michellin's more expensive than other tires in France too?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Mercs have those for ages now, so BMW should catch up with that.
      10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

tpms = flat tire warning, they need to provide per tire PSI like everyone else does
      10-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 need psi reading!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
tpms = flat tire warning, they need to provide per tire PSI like everyone else does
We are actually working with BERU-F1 to develop a lower cost setup that does just that. A lot of our customers who track utilize data acquisition and have been very interested. The TPMS system was actually born in F1, where the system log's pressure, temp, and wheel rotation. Ours will do the same without the $20k price tag.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
+1

OP, are Michellin's more expensive than other tires in France too?
They are a little more expensive here than the Conti Sport 3s, and in turn more expensive than the same tires in the U.S. The total cost for a set of front PS/2's here (mounted/balanced and with a road hazard/vandal warranty) is around $900 (depending on where the dollar to euro rate is at).

From Tirerack, the same tires shipped to me through APO are around $700. If I then add mounting/balancing here I get close to $800. For the $100.00 difference, I'm probably going to get them here since they won't be subjected to the mail room experience (and a 1-2 week delay) and I can get a good warranty (which it looks like I'll need here after this experience and a nail in a rear tire).

The semi-positive side of this is that I will be able to keep one of the front tires as a back-up, to join the rear one I already have here. So hopefully having them as back-ups will be like taking the umbrella when it looks like it will rain...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #10
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianx View Post
We are actually working with BERU-F1 to develop a lower cost setup that does just that. A lot of our customers who track utilize data acquisition and have been very interested. The TPMS system was actually born in F1, where the system log's pressure, temp, and wheel rotation. Ours will do the same without the $20k price tag.
This sounds very interesting...will it potentially work with the existing hardware in the car (ie. display accessible through iDrive?). That would be fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

We will have a version to use with Data log system, one for OE I-drive, and maybe a stand alone using a PDA type device.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Mercs have those for ages now, so BMW should catch up with that.
Even Hondas have actual pressure readings in all 4 tires.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Def a good thing you caught it before driving. But on the other hand, if it was completely flat you would have noticed it immediately once you started driving anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
This sounds very interesting...will it potentially work with the existing hardware in the car (ie. display accessible through iDrive?). That would be fantastic.
sorry i'm gonna go off-topic for a minute: good to see a French guy on an english forum!!!
i'm French too, live in Canada now, and not many people out there have a decent level of English... unless you're a US guy who immigrated to France?

OK that's it, sorry guys...
and yes TPMS is great, it can also tell you that even though you just paid $ 60 for a shop to switch your winters to summer rims+tires, they never checked the tire pressure after installing the news wheels...

Pat
Appreciate 0