BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #111
zackday30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I think Montreal has a chance, but it's totally reliant on Halak. Do I think he can keep this torrid pace through the entire Stanley Cup run? I wouldn't bet on it, but I didn't think Osgood could either. And he did. I've been wrong plenty of times before, especially about the outcomes of hockey playoff series (and who hasn't), but I don't think I'd go as far as to say the Habs don't stand a chance.

It's good to see a Cinderella story develop, and you've got to root for them in this situation, doubly so because I'm sure every hockey fan is tired of hearing about Cindy. I'll admit, he's a damn good player, but I'm surprised Canadians themselves haven't found out who first tried comparing him to Gretzky.... I would think that would be grounds for a lynching....
I'm sorry but Sydney (not Cindy) is good for the sport. He is trying to help make this sport mainstream again. The league could use a few more Crosby type personalities in the locker room! He is a great role model which is hard to say about many athletes these days. And Canada should love him! After all, he did score the game winning goal in the Gold Medal game in Overtime! Is he as good as Gretsky? Debatable. I think Gretzky would have a little more trouble with the caliber of Athletes/Goaltenders in the league now compared to what they were twenty years ago and on.
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #112
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

Great Win by Hawks last night.
      05-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #113
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiprotein View Post
Great Win by Hawks last night.
Definitely a relief...Kane's having a really good playoff career so far
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #114
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

Come On Canucks!!!!

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #115
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackday30 View Post
I'm sorry but Sydney (not Cindy) is good for the sport. He is trying to help make this sport mainstream again. The league could use a few more Crosby type personalities in the locker room! He is a great role model which is hard to say about many athletes these days. And Canada should love him! After all, he did score the game winning goal in the Gold Medal game in Overtime! Is he as good as Gretsky? Debatable. I think Gretzky would have a little more trouble with the caliber of Athletes/Goaltenders in the league now compared to what they were twenty years ago and on.
Oh no; it's Cindy to the rest of the league.

And the comparison with Gretzky is not "debateable". Gretzky was peerless, and Cindy can't even rise head-and-shoulders above Malkin, let alone blow every other NHL player away in the scoring race.

He's a great player, yes, but you speak like someone who wasn't around when Gretzky played. There was no comparison; there was no debate. For the vast majority of his career, there wasn't even anyone worth comparing to him after the season was over. Today, I can count on more than one hand candidates who can be debated as to whether or not they're better than Crosby.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #116
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh no; it's Cindy to the rest of the league.

And the comparison with Gretzky is not "debateable". Gretzky was peerless, and Cindy can't even rise head-and-shoulders above Malkin, let alone blow every other NHL player away in the scoring race.

He's a great player, yes, but you speak like someone who wasn't around when Gretzky played. There was no comparison; there was no debate. For the vast majority of his career, there wasn't even anyone worth comparing to him after the season was over. Today, I can count on more than one hand candidates who can be debated as to whether or not they're better than Crosby.
Your sig makes alot of sense now!!!

*My posts are subject to substantial margins of error.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #117
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlee103 View Post
Your sig makes alot of sense now!!!

*My posts are subject to substantial margins of error.
Haha.

Try to find an impartial non-Pittsburgh fan who will agree with you.

Get outside your bubble every once in a while. Crosby is nowhere near where Gretzky was. Obviously you weren't watching hockey in the '80s.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #118
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just an interjection, but hockey today is not the same as it was in the 80s. It is more conducive to offense these days. I doubt a conversion factor is able to be accurately applied to equalize players stats between eras, but I'd be really surprised if Crosby on pace to post up better number than Gretsky's aggregate numbers, let alone the era discrepancies that exist
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #119
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Just an interjection, but hockey today is not the same as it was in the 80s. It is more conducive to offense these days. I doubt a conversion factor is able to be accurately applied to equalize players stats between eras, but I'd be really surprised if Crosby on pace to post up better number than Gretsky's aggregate numbers, let alone the era discrepancies that exist
Gretzky was obviously peerless. Crosby is obviously not.

I don't understand why anyone could compare Crosby to Gretzky. It's like comparing the Saturn V rocket development team to the guy who first found out you could light your farts on fire.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #120
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
LOL well clearly not that extreme but I just take issue with those comparing sports between era's when rule changes and rule enforcement changes have obviously and quantifiably influenced player statistics...the fact is that Gretsky vs. Crosby at the same points of their careers Gretsky is still on pace to be the better player even before you factor in that hockey rule enforcement has adapted to favor more offense lately.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #121
zackday30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black

Hey all I said was that it was debatable, and from the previous posts it seems to be. I'm not coming out and saying that he is better than Gretsky, I am saying that these were two very different eras of hockey. Both players are/were amazing to watch and very talented.
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #122
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
LOL well clearly not that extreme but I just take issue with those comparing sports between era's when rule changes and rule enforcement changes have obviously and quantifiably influenced player statistics...the fact is that Gretsky vs. Crosby at the same points of their careers Gretsky is still on pace to be the better player even before you factor in that hockey rule enforcement has adapted to favor more offense lately.
You're right in the sense that you can't simply rely on comparison of statistics....

Gretzky was peerless. No one has ever risen above the sport of hockey like he has. It's debateable whether or not Crosby is even the best player on his team.

Also, the NHL is MARKETING Crosby. Gretzky didn't need that. The NHL is pushing Crosby as a product, forcing him to be the new face of hockey. Gretzky never needed that to be recognized as the hockey diety he was.

I don't have a whole lot of problems with Crosby, other than the fact that he can be a little whiny at times. It's not his fault he's the pawn in Butt Man's business venture. I do, however, have a big problem with the NHL and the way it's been run lately. Hopefully there won't be a lockout coming up. It would suck to have to start over from scratch. I'd like to get the league off of that SHIT channel Versus. They need to stop manipulating the game so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #123
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're right in the sense that you can't simply rely on comparison of statistics....
And even if you could simply compare stats, Gretsky is better, and even if you adjusted somehow to equalize stats between eras, you would only expect this to favor Gretsky. I can't believe this is even a debate...

I mean if he likes Crosby better than Gretsky that's a matter of personal preference, but to insinuate he's the better player...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #124
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ahhh Hawks back on form last night

Really starting to look the the team that was dominating during the regular season pre Olympic break
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #125
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

What amazing sportsmanship he displays as well!

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #126
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
What amazing sportsmanship he displays as well!
Yeah he's basically a giant vagina, but I blame the league for that more than any one player.... It's simply what they allow the players to get away with these days. Maybe if Buttman would actually make good on his promise to crack down on embellishment, people would stop crying and diving so much. But, when you're rewarded for it 90% of the time with a power play, the players aren't going to stop taking advantage of that (see San Jose's game plan).

Also, Buttman would probably concede to the KHL as the superior league before he'd ever acknowledge his golden son was a dive artist.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #127
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Quote:
Yeah he's basically a giant vagina, but I blame the league for that more than any one player.... It's simply what they allow the players to get away with these days. Maybe if Buttman would actually make good on his promise to crack down on embellishment, people would stop crying and diving so much. But, when you're rewarded for it 90% of the time with a power play, the players aren't going to stop taking advantage of that (see San Jose's game plan).

Also, Buttman would probably concede to the KHL as the superior league before he'd ever acknowledge his golden son was a dive artist.
Its unbelievable the calls the Sharks have got in this series. I mean im guessing 40% of them were legit calls but come on. I mean they literally gave San Jose the series. And talk about turning points... did you see the penalty they called on Franzen for tripping? When it was actually him that took a stick to the face and was going down that caused the fall. That gave them a penalty when the Wings should have had a 4 minute power play.

Dont you think they should consider looking at the tape on plays like that to get the correct call? I mean its huge in the playoffs. Im not impressed with the refs at all in this years playoffs.
      05-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #128
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlakos91 View Post
Its unbelievable the calls the Sharks have got in this series. I mean im guessing 40% of them were legit calls but come on. I mean they literally gave San Jose the series. And talk about turning points... did you see the penalty they called on Franzen for tripping? When it was actually him that took a stick to the face and was going down that caused the fall. That gave them a penalty when the Wings should have had a 4 minute power play.

Dont you think they should consider looking at the tape on plays like that to get the correct call? I mean its huge in the playoffs. Im not impressed with the refs at all in this years playoffs.
Well let me preface this with the fact that the Sharks are playing better than the Red Wings and, given the age factor, the Sharks have the better roster.

That being said, the officiating has been terrible in the series. Franzen was high sticked by Sandincoochie and then Sandincoochie falls over.... And Franzen gets the penalty. Later on that power play, Sandincoochie does get clipped with a stick and hits the ice like someone shot him with a .50 cal from 3 feet away.... Sharks go on to score GWG on that 5 on 3....

I don't think you can successfully implement replay to review penalty calls. That would just screw with the game too much. What they need to do is actually crack down on sand-in-vaginaness, put the crying pussies in the box, stop rewarding the Nancys for diving....

Anyway, even without the officiating tilt, the Wings look like they could be down 3-0 based on 5-on-5 play alone. That being said, it would be much easier to stomach if there wasn't the added distraction of some really terrible calls (mostly on the Wings, but there have been some shitty calls against the Sharks too).

The officials need to revamp their training and policy to keep this epidemic under control. Pretty sad when you're a professional hockey player, over 6' / 200lbs, and you're acting like a complete vag every time someone gets close to you (this goes for everyone in the league, not singling one guy out).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #129
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Quote:
Well let me preface this with the fact that the Sharks are playing better than the Red Wings and, given the age factor, the Sharks have the better roster.

That being said, the officiating has been terrible in the series. Franzen was high sticked by Sandincoochie and then Sandincoochie falls over.... And Franzen gets the penalty. Later on that power play, Sandincoochie does get clipped with a stick and hits the ice like someone shot him with a .50 cal from 3 feet away.... Sharks go on to score GWG on that 5 on 3....

I don't think you can successfully implement replay to review penalty calls. That would just screw with the game too much. What they need to do is actually crack down on sand-in-vaginaness, put the crying pussies in the box, stop rewarding the Nancys for diving....

Haha well put. I think it would mess with the game too much as well if it was too often, but when all the refs are looking at each other like what the F just happened I think it wouldn't hurt to take a 2 second look and get the right call.

And yes im so sick of these diving penalties.

Its just ridiculous its hard to watch I get so frustrated.

I hope the Wings can at least pull off one win in this series.
      05-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #130
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
well i'm going to game 4 for tonight's game nucks vs hawks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #131
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
^You are gonna wear your hawks jersey right? right???
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #132
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Can't wait
Appreciate 0