BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #23
ajee622
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93 m3

yes i truly understand you have to pay to play, but there were some factors that i made when making this decision:

1) i'm only keeping the car for another 1.5 years most.
2) any other name brand exhaust does not yield anymore HP than what i did and sound is always subjective
3) it does kind of piss me off that company's charge more based off the car. i mean a MPE exhaust is not made of any other better material. Maybe i guess a titanium exhaust there might be some reason, but overall paying $3000 for an exhaust that technically shouldn't be priced at that point is absurd to me. i mean heck all the threads i read talk about how the different versions crack.

to each his own i guess, but i don't think doing this mod cheapens the car or is being cheap about modding your car.

best of luck to everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #24
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

I removed secondary cats and resonator. Even with stock exhaust, car sounds amazing. Very close to OEM mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #25
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajee622 View Post
i mean a MPE exhaust is not made of any other better material. Maybe i guess a titanium exhaust there might be some reason, but overall paying $3000 for an exhaust that technically shouldn't be priced at that point is absurd to me. i mean heck all the threads i read talk about how the different versions crack.
You're mistaken on many points here, but as they say, valuation on things is subjective. Inconel is a special material and therefore costly to manufacture a full exhaust (with titanium tips). The cracking was more a design flaw than a material one.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #26
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajee622 View Post
yes i truly understand you have to pay to play, but there were some factors that i made when making this decision:

2) any other name brand exhaust does not yield anymore HP than what i did and sound is always subjective
3) it does kind of piss me off that company's charge more based off the car. i mean a MPE exhaust is not made of any other better material. Maybe i guess a titanium exhaust there might be some reason, but overall paying $3000 for an exhaust that technically shouldn't be priced at that point is absurd to me. i mean heck all the threads i read talk about how the different versions crack.

to each his own i guess, but i don't think doing this mod cheapens the car or is being cheap about modding your car.

best of luck to everyone

Totally. It's your money and your car. I have better things to spend my money on (track days, routine maintenance, beer) than a $3000 exhaust.
      10-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #27
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajee622

best of luck to everyone
Your reasons are perfectly fine. I went through the same thing and got the mod done at first.

But the MPE is made of a different metal called inconel as another member has said. That is exactly what gives it the unique high pitched sound. And the tips are titantium. It really does sound amazing.

I loved the mod at first until I realized it produced a very flat and predictable sound.

Still decent for its value to most. If I could do it again I'd skip the hassle and save the money and go straight to the MPE
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Lol @ $3k for a catback
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #29
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Like I say. Gotta pay to play.....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #30
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Here's my 4-pipe mod. I think it sounds decent for $400

Last edited by tenman; 10-07-2016 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #31
kel_m3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

ACM style mod, only cost me $150 CAD for a local welder to do mine off the car.
      10-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #32
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Typical stupid answer from you..... moron. When you have no idea about what you are talking about, why not just keep quiet?
He's the Trump of M3 post. Surprised people still take this troll seriously.

Anyway, I used to have the perforated OEM mod and it was probably the best balance between tone and volume. Deeper than OEM but not too deep, and louder but not too loud where it makes your ears bleed. Paired with a TP it is just awesome. Super aggressive in the mid range and still quiet around town.

Definitely the best bang for buck mod you can do on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #33
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lol at the guy thinking you need to spend thousands on a muffler for it to sound good.

I have ran many different exhaust systems over the years, across a few different M platforms. When I purchased my latest e92 M3 last year, I was discussing the car with the PO and how I really enjoyed the note of his exhaust when he first pulled up. I was shocked when he told me that it was still the OEM unit, modified by EAS. I had to really look close to notice that the stock unit was still in place. We all know the OEM exhaust can really use some help in the looks department, and by installing the EAS 80mm exhaust tips in addition to painting the muffler black, the rear of the car was completely transformed.

With the OEM bypass mod, the exhaust note it is not too quiet, but also not ear-bleeding loud. The videos below do not do a very good job capturing the true sound, but the car sounds refined and exotic. DCT rev matches under M mode are absolutely intoxicating. The icing on the cake is there is little to no drone, and you have no problem passing smog or telling a cop that it is stock . I personally like exhaust that are pretty loud at WOT, but also have the ability to be fairly quiet when cruising in higher gears.

For under $500 (exhaust mod + 80mm tips) you just cant come anywhere near it.
  • Refined and exotic tone
  • OEM fit & finish
  • Passes SMOG w/OEM X pipe
  • If the cop's ask, "it's stock"
  • Very budget friendly
  • Little to no drone

Photo:

Cruising

Acceleration

WOT Fly By

Downshifting Rev Matches

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 2
scrammer421.50
RickP164.50
      10-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #34
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Drop and spacing on your car look great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel_m3 View Post

ACM style mod, only cost me $150 CAD for a local welder to do mine off the car.
      10-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #35
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenman
Here's my 4-pipe mod. I think it sounds decent for $400

I'm confused but I could probably figure answer this question with more research but it wouldn't hurt to ask. As far as my recollection, there are two mod methods, the 4 pipe and the ACM (OEM bypass I think) am I correct? The ACM is the more aggressive if I recall.

Personally I find the more 4 pipe in your video pleasing and in my opinion (probably because I am 50+) it still has a refined sound. The ACM has a more raw badass sound and one that I would characterize as modded. I prefer the 4 pip music over the more raw sound. The raw sound doesn't have the controlled volumes and harmonics. It more of a blaring sound rather than a louder musical sound.

I compared side by side my AA catback with an OEM modded and the OEM modded sounded less elegant. However, while driving away onto an onramp it did sound really really good as I heard the high pitches howl magnified. But all in all I didn't regret buying the used AA due to the more refined sound. BTW, when I switched to the AA and my usual tunnel runs with my now ex-wife, she commented "do you miss that screaming sound?". It was then I realized that although the AA sounds sweet, it just doesn't scream like OEM. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back to the OEM and do the 4 pipe mod!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #36
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
I'm confused but I could probably figure answer this question with more research but it wouldn't hurt to ask. As far as my recollection, there are two mod methods, the 4 pipe and the ACM (OEM bypass I think) am I correct? The ACM is the more aggressive if I recall.

Personally I find the more 4 pipe in your video pleasing and in my opinion (probably because I am 50+) it still has a refined sound. The ACM has a more raw badass sound and one that I would characterize as modded. I prefer the 4 pip music over the more raw sound. The raw sound doesn't have the controlled volumes and harmonics. It more of a blaring sound rather than a louder musical sound.

I compared side by side my AA catback with an OEM modded and the OEM modded sounded less elegant. However, while driving away onto an onramp it did sound really really good as I heard the high pitches howl magnified. But all in all I didn't regret buying the used AA due to the more refined sound. BTW, when I switched to the AA and my usual tunnel runs with my now ex-wife, she commented "do you miss that screaming sound?". It was then I realized that although the AA sounds sweet, it just doesn't scream like OEM. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back to the OEM and do the 4 pipe mod!
ACM is louder than the 4 pipe method yep i just posted a clip of mine a few threads down (i can link it here if you're curious) it's a pretty accurate representation of how it sounds in real life
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #37
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche C2S Cab_M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Fart can??

I heard the OEM mod next to a 2k dinan rear, even the dinan owner thought the OEM mod sounded better.

If the OEM mod isn't your thing that's fine. Not sure what it ever did to you to receive such negative criticism

Just reppin' Dinan. I like the way the the M3's S65B40 sounds pretty much no matter what you do to it, but I particularly like the Dinan Performance Exhaust. I auditioned a lot of exhausts before I decided on the $2,600 Dinan. Full disclosure: It was a factor that my BMW dealership was a Dinan dealer and would install the warrantied exhaust and software at delivery.

http://s444.photobucket.com/user/GVF...ml?sort=3&o=16

Last edited by GVIFlyer; 10-11-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #38
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I like the perforated mod. I think it's a great OEM+ sound enhancement. I probably wouldn't have an MPE if the stock exhaust was designed this way.

Appreciate 3
      10-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #39
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW
Lol at the guy thinking you need to spend thousands on a muffler for it to sound good.

I have ran many different exhaust systems over the years, across a few different M platforms. When I purchased my latest e92 M3 last year, I was discussing the car with the PO and how I really enjoyed the note of his exhaust when he first pulled up. I was shocked when he told me that it was still the OEM unit, modified by EAS. I had to really look close to notice that the stock unit was still in place. We all know the OEM exhaust can really use some help in the looks department, and by installing the EAS 80mm exhaust tips in addition to painting the muffler black, the rear of the car was completely transformed.

With the OEM bypass mod, the exhaust note it is not too quiet, but also not ear-bleeding loud. The videos below do not do a very good job capturing the true sound, but the car sounds refined and exotic. DCT rev matches under M mode are absolutely intoxicating. The icing on the cake is there is little to no drone, and you have no problem passing smog or telling a cop that it is stock . I personally like exhaust that are pretty loud at WOT, but also have the ability to be fairly quiet when cruising in higher gears.

For under $500 (exhaust mod + 80mm tips) you just cant come anywhere near it.
  • Refined and exotic tone
  • OEM fit & finish
  • Very budget friendly
  • Little to no drone

Photo:

[IMG]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9535242d.jpg[/IMG]

Cruising

Acceleration

WOT Fly By

Downshifting Rev Matches

Laugh all you want. Unless you have owned both the OEM mod and MPE I doubt you have ANY clue what the difference is.

Most who do this mod (like me initially) want a louder and deeper sound. IMO most people have not evolved to wanting that higher pitched tone (which the MPE provides) that exists in the higher end cars.

If you actually owned both and could first hand understand the difference you'd realize they are a world apart. You also wouldn't be defending the hack mod as if it were the smartest exhaust to get along with custom tips to make it look unique and expensive.

There's a reason why there are perforations as well. Closing those up Introduces back pressure on the stock design. But that's ok, spending less makes everyone else who spends more an idiot.
Appreciate 3
m3ninja31.00
Yeru211.50
Edward376.50
      10-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #40
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk
I like the perforated mod. I think it's a great OEM+ sound enhancement. I probably wouldn't have an MPE if the stock exhaust was designed this way.

Props for posting that vid. It's the best one I've ever seen documenting how it's made.
Appreciate 1
Denk1006.00
      10-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #41
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer22 View Post
Laugh all you want. Unless you have owned both the OEM mod and MPE I doubt you have ANY clue what the difference is.

Most who do this mod (like me initially) want a louder and deeper sound. IMO most people have not evolved to wanting that higher pitched tone (which the MPE provides) that exists in the higher end cars.

If you actually owned both and could first hand understand the difference you'd realize they are a world apart. You also wouldn't be defending the hack mod as if it were the smartest exhaust to get along with custom tips to make it look unique and expensive.

There's a reason why there are perforations as well. Closing those up Introduces back pressure on the stock design. But that's ok, spending less makes everyone else who spends more an idiot.
I laugh because I have owned them. What makes you think that everyone with an OEM exhaust mod has not experienced other exhaust setup's?

Currently my E92 has a challenge sport X pipe paired with Meisterschaft GT. I'm all for spending money on quality parts, hence the reason why my E92 has MCS suspension and a StopTech BBK on all four corners. Suspension and brakes are one thing, but even after installing countless expensive mufflers and X pipes over the course of owner two E9X M3's, I still think the OEM bypass mod presents amazing value.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:32 AM   #42
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW
Quote:

I laugh because I have owned them. What makes you think that everyone with an OEM exhaust mod has not experienced other exhaust setup's?

Currently my E92 has a challenge sport X pipe paired with Meisterschaft GT. I'm all for spending money on quality parts, hence the reason why my E92 has MCS suspension and a StopTech BBK on all four corners. Suspension and brakes are one thing, but even after installing countless expensive mufflers and X pipes over the course of owner two E9X M3's, I still think the OEM bypass mod presents amazing value.
Who said everyone. I was referring to you.
Saying you owned all of them is a vague general statement. Clarify what that means without muddling the waters trying to explain your 'extensive' mod list which includes irrelevant non exhaust items for this discussion.

Oh and the irony. For your argument you point out the exhaust on your car now that alone without any x pipe cost multiples more than the mod. Why did you go with this if the OEM mod was so great? Bit hypocritical of you to criticize me when your actions and current setup prove the point I'm trying to make.
Appreciate 1
m3ninja31.00
      10-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #43
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post

I get the terms confused as well, but I'll explain how the mod was done. I had my muffler shop cut out both sides of the exhaust (to ensure that the new pipe is welded entirely), remove the perforated piping, and weld in solid pipes all the way around. They did not put the fiberglass hairs back in either.

Imo, it's pretty loud. I do get drone in the car, but it doesn't bother me.

Last edited by tenman; 10-12-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #44
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who said everyone. I was referring to you.
Saying you owned all of them is a vague general statement. Clarify what that means without muddling the waters trying to explain your 'extensive' mod list which includes irrelevant non exhaust items for this discussion.

Oh and the irony. For your argument you point out the exhaust on your car now that alone without any x pipe cost multiples more than the mod. Why did you go with this if the OEM mod was so great? Bit hypocritical of you to criticize me when your actions and current setup prove the point I'm trying to make.
Please step off of your high horse. You are clearly missing the point here. Since you feel the need for me to specify, I have owned an E90 M3 and now an E92 M3. Over the course of owning the two, I have ran:

Stock X pipe w/ Magnaflow Muffler
Macht Schnell Test Pipes w/ Magnaflow Muffler
Macht Scnnell Test Pipes w/ AE Performance
Macht Schnell Test Pipes w/ Eisenmann Race

Stock X Pipe w/ OEM Bypass Exhaust Mod
Challenge X Pipe w/ OEM Bypass Exhaust Mod
Challenge X Pipe w/ Meisterschaft GT
Stock X pipe w/ Meisterschaft GT

Does this meet your qualifications of allowing me an opinion?

The point is that the OEM exhaust mod presents great value, again for the following reason's:
  • Refined and exotic tone (subjective)
  • OEM fit & finish
  • Very budget friendly
  • Little to no drone

Clearly aftermarket muffler offerings can further decrease weight, and aftermarket X pipes can slightly increase power. The two of those combined are going to cost enthusiasts several thousand dollars.

Most enthusiasts cannot feel the weight savings presented by the aftermarket muffler, and their main goal is to achieve a better sound, and to change the appearance as the OEM muffler unmodified can be an eyesore. For $500 or less, enthusiasts can accomplish both.

I was happier with the sound my stock X pipe and OEM bypass mod then any other exhaust setup on the list, except for the most recent Challenge Sport X paired with the Meisterschaft GT, which again, costs me thousands of dollars.

The notion that enthusiasts must pay for an aftermarket unit and spend thousands is beyond ridiculous. For the record, my initial post was in response to JoeM3SSII.

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 10-12-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 2