BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Lotus Cars

Just wondering if any bros here have any experience with Lotus cars of current generation? I am particularly interested to know how reliable and well built they are. I am looking at the latest Exige S as a probable replacement for my M3, but would hate for the car to fall apart 3 months into the ownership...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lotus/exige-s
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Bros?

I had an Elise for a very short time. No issues whatsoever. It's such a simple car, I can't imagine it having very serious issues. The drivetrain/powerplant is Toyota.

That said, insurance was a bit higher than any car I've owned (though still reasonable - YMMV). This could be due to the fact that small amounts of damage to the body wind up costing astronomical amounts.

IMO an Exige S is NOT a replacement for the M3. They are so ridiculously different. They are worlds apart in practicality. I would hate to daily drive an Exige. Especially if you care about being in something safe.

It's the very definition of a toy.
      06-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Bros?

I had an Elise for a very short time. No issues whatsoever. It's such a simple car, I can't imagine it having very serious issues. The drivetrain/powerplant is Toyota.

That said, insurance was a bit higher than any car I've owned (though still reasonable - YMMV). This could be due to the fact that small amounts of damage to the body wind up costing astronomical amounts.

IMO an Exige S is NOT a replacement for the M3. They are so ridiculously different. They are worlds apart in practicality. I would hate to daily drive an Exige. Especially if you care about being in something safe.

It's the very definition of a toy.
Thanks for sharing. I am not seriously considering it at the moment. It's more of toying with the idea at best. Now that i have the F10 M5, i don't really need an all rounded car like the M3. I am looking for something that is small, sharp, and exciting. That said, it would hard for me to ignore the next M3 when it comes out i am certain.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Thanks for sharing. I am not seriously considering it at the moment. It's more of toying with the idea at best. Now that i have the F10 M5, i don't really need an all rounded car like the M3. I am looking for something that is small, sharp, and exciting. That said, it would hard for me to ignore the next M3 when it comes out i am certain.
If you have the M5, it could be a fun car to have.

It is way, way, way, way more visceral/raw/fun than the M3. It just makes a terrible daily driver. Reliability is fine.
      06-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
iatros
Private
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue 2008 E92

I had an '08 Exige S and it was a blast to drive. I agree with the above comments about reliability (I didnt have any trouble with mine) and about the difficulties of being a daily driver. The visceral experience of the exige is unlike anything else (save except a motorcycle) I have experienced. It really runs out of juice once you hit triple digits, but the acceleration before that is awesome! The ground clearance is really an issue though, and you really have to plan where you are going so that you dont end up "trapped" in a parking garage or in front of a large speed bump that you cant get over without taking out the front of the car. I would highly recommend it as an auxiliary vehicle (which is what it sounds like you want it for). Service and maintenance will be cheaper than the M3 or M5 I would imagine (Im a new M3 owner, so I guess time will tell). They really are great cars, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I would look at the 330hp Lotus Evora. Very nice looking car. On the same performance level as a 2008 Z4MC or 2010 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Koch View Post
I would look at the 330hp Lotus Evora. Very nice looking car. On the same performance level as a 2008 Z4MC or 2010 1M.
The Evora GTE is even more exciting. Too bad it comes with a damn robotized manual box in these days of sophisticated twin clutches.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
The Evora GTE is even more exciting. Too bad it comes with a damn robotized manual box in these days of sophisticated twin clutches.
Wow an E92 M3 killer right there. Looks amazing. I would buy one but over $100k? Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

I love lotus'.
Great fun.
They feel like they're going fast even when they're not going fast.
They can really make a simple drive come to life.

An elise and exige are very similar, and actually an elise track pack is lighter and has the same power, with essentially the same performance features.

However, the exige has an LSD option, and IF you decide to get the factory supercharged versions, the exige is intercooled and has a few more HP.

That said, you can pick up an aftermarket supercharger for an elise for around 7k, and it'll have more power than any factory supercharged elise/exige. (note : the new v6 exige is an exception...)

I would drive one every day.
But I'm not a princess... different strokes for different folks.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0