BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

A3 Cabrio looks almost production ready

Surely a standard coupe version of the A3 is in their bag of tricks. This is a potential competitor for the 1 coupe/cabrio. In terms of niche anyway, no clue what performance will be like.

From GCF

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I love the 5 tuerer, but that thing is pretty hideous to me. The front is okay, but that rear is just awful.

I just checked out the audi.de website to see if there were sedan or coupe A3's available, which there are not. There is a 3 door hatch, adn it looks okay, but there was nothing with a trunk, probably for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I'm just not a fan of the way audi's drive, so no matter what they put out, I'm always lured away by something else that I see as sportier. For example love the look of A5/S5, but I know once the novelty of the look wheres off, theres nothing left.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Model-to-model Audi's might be the best looking, best designed German car line. Sorry, but I think it's true.
But like Max said they aren't a brilliant drive whether fwd or quattro...and I've owned two of them
and doubt I'll ever go back again.

The other thing is Audi N/A has absolutley no juice...no pull with the powers that be in Ingolstadt.
Look at the options available to Audi buyers in Europe and compare what's on offer for the same models in N/A.

If you think American and Canadian BMW drivers don't get a lot of choices-
we are in Pooh heaven compared to Audi owners.

:roundel::roundel:::roundel::roundel:

And they can keep their A3 cab. It looks like a Ken-car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, that's not very attractive. Might as well have done a GTI convertible.

My father loves his Audis. What I think is stodgy and prone to tire-melting understeer, he thinks is stable and secure. I recall reading in EVO (and I'm heavily paraphrasing here) that the Audi fella EVO interviewed responded to a dig that "we thought this was supposed to drive like a BMW?" with "well, I'd like it to, and we're working on changing perceptions, but you see our customers don't want that at the moment..."

Bah. My wife had a nasty accident and shattered her wrist. She could no longer drive a manual tranny, and that's all we own. My parents let us borrow one of their A4's w/slushbox while she was recouperating. I gave them my GLI.

I can't tell you how happy I was to get back in my GLI... The A4's are a bit nicer inside, but they drive WORSE than the Veedubs.
Appreciate 0