BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #23
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i would get the new gt3 rs man. that thing looks sick, and I don't doubt it performance either.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #24
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
No, no, I didnīt at all interpret you statement as out of place. I am in full agreement that the M3 is no GT3.
does your feels as tight as the gt3 handling wise?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
GT3RS or GT3 over almost any car....screw a zr1...amazing, fast, grip and so on...just not a gt3....the feeling i got when i drove that car was unexplainable...the feeling when i drove a Z06 ( I KNOW NOT A ZR1) was shit...except for the straight line speed
I have never driven a Corvette but seems like this could very well be the case. Have driven a number of Pīs and agree they are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Walter Rohrl recently claimed the new 997.2 450 HP and 2900 lbs GT3 RS runs around Nurburgring substantially faster than the GT-R. Though he declined to give some official numbers. I think he only said "under 7:35".

997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS FTW!!!!!
This makes sense to me.
      09-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Porsche or Corvette .. I mean, can you really go 'wrong' with either pick?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

I have not driven either one (GT3 RS or ZR-1) yet. Mainly because they are hard to find here. My only issue with the GT3 RS is that it's an awfully expensive car for a track only car. I cannot really see myself driving it on public roads. The ZR-1 is supposedly more forgiving. Anyway i am not planning anything sooner than spring or early summer.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I have not driven either one (GT3 RS or ZR-1) yet. Mainly because they are hard to find here. My only issue with the GT3 RS is that it's an awfully expensive car for a track only car. I cannot really see myself driving it on public roads. The ZR-1 is supposedly more forgiving. Anyway i am not planning anything sooner than spring or early summer.
Then go for the GT3 not the RS. I do somewhat agree that you look a tad ridiculous when you run by and pick your girlfriend up in a GT3 RS. lol!
      09-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #29
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
I say zr1. INSANE potential and perfect for regular driving plus track. I think you'll regret the gt3 if you dont use it primarily as a track car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

I own both a ZR1 and an RS so ill shed some light. If you plan on driving this car more than twice a week go ZR1. It is very very comfortable and yet still a fantastic performing machine. The RS is a fantastic car. Very tight and the driving experience is second to none but there is a price for all that. COMFORT. It rides so rough and the clutch is so hard that it really become unpleasant if you arent on the freeway or on some fun backroads. The ZR1 on the other hand is extremely liveable. The ZR1 has so much low end torque its easy to keep the revs low and blow around town. You really have to run the RS up to get any power out of it. At the end of the day it all depends on what your going to do with the car. If your not going to drive it around town much go RS. If you plan on driving it to work and around town go ZR1.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #31
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
I own both a ZR1 and an RS so ill shed some light. If you plan on driving this car more than twice a week go ZR1. It is very very comfortable and yet still a fantastic performing machine. The RS is a fantastic car. Very tight and the driving experience is second to none but there is a price for all that. COMFORT. It rides so rough and the clutch is so hard that it really become unpleasant if you arent on the freeway or on some fun backroads. The ZR1 on the other hand is extremely liveable. The ZR1 has so much low end torque its easy to keep the revs low and blow around town. You really have to run the RS up to get any power out of it. At the end of the day it all depends on what your going to do with the car. If your not going to drive it around town much go RS. If you plan on driving it to work and around town go ZR1.
the clutch pedal on the GT3 is indeed VERY STIFF, i had leg cramps after a short stint. The ZR1 i've only ridden in and its safe to say it is seriously underestimated.

I've also grown sick of people saying american cars can't handle. There are 3 major american automobile manufacturers and all 3 of them have track stars ... i mean ferrari/gtr/gt3/gt2/m3/lambo/maserati destroyers ...

ford gt Sooooft clutch and gear changes it can really be a DD ;p
viper / viper acr
chevy zo6/zr1
the nurburgring times back this up

even some down the line models still take it to the curve pretty well

ford focus rs <<< THIS ONE IS AMAZING
cobalt ss - everything is superb on this car except the styling
mustang gt the latest handles very well with the track pack
dodge challenger? nah -- im pushing it here

Gotta run, im on call, please add on to this

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #32
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I love M3's, but the ZR1 is in a different class.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #33
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
the clutch pedal on the GT3 is indeed VERY STIFF, i had leg cramps after a short stint. The ZR1 i've only ridden in and its safe to say it is seriously underestimated.

I've also grown sick of people saying american cars can't handle. There are 3 major american automobile manufacturers and all 3 of them have track stars ... i mean ferrari/gtr/gt3/gt2/m3/lambo/maserati destroyers ...

ford gt Sooooft clutch and gear changes it can really be a DD ;p
viper / viper acr
chevy zo6/zr1
the nurburgring times back this up

even some down the line models still take it to the curve pretty well

ford focus rs <<< THIS ONE IS AMAZING
cobalt ss - everything is superb on this car except the styling
mustang gt the latest handles very well with the track pack
dodge challenger? nah -- im pushing it here

Gotta run, im on call, please add on to this

cheers
Watch this video:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/vette-slays-god.html

What you are seeing is not a bad driver (missed apex after apex, early turn-ins, on-off throttle, etc.), but a very GOOD driver manhandling a car that seems to fall apart at the limit. Most will never get close to the limit, but that's a good thing in the ZR1's case.

Too many reports from the track of overheating trannies, cracked rotors, brakes that cook, etc. make the ZR1 not that great a car as you say.

To the OP, again the ZR1 and M3 are so very different, that you really need to drive both. Invest in a cheap plane ticket to a dealer that will let you drive the car. Don't rely on magazines or forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #34
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
Watch this video:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/vette-slays-god.html

What you are seeing is not a bad driver (missed apex after apex, early turn-ins, on-off throttle, etc.), but a very GOOD driver manhandling a car that seems to fall apart at the limit. Most will never get close to the limit, but that's a good thing in the ZR1's case.

Too many reports from the track of overheating trannies, cracked rotors, brakes that cook, etc. make the ZR1 not that great a car as you say.

To the OP, again the ZR1 and M3 are so very different, that you really need to drive both. Invest in a cheap plane ticket to a dealer that will let you drive the car. Don't rely on magazines or forums.
Please show me one case of this. I have not seen any issues with ZR1's ANYWHERE
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #35
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

me neither i saw one case of wrong gear selection out of a corner, one almost missed shift, one early turn in, one late turn in

on the ring, that is a very well handled car. it looked cleaner than a gt2 imho

however, they have mentioned that it does not provide the balance and poise of s scud, gt3,lambo --- thats what several thousands of dollars more will buy you mate.

you are comparing a 100k car to 250k thats very extreme for a little "poise" when you still lose on a track
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #36
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

just for the purpose of this discussion, here is a link to the track times for production cars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring_lap_times

note the 10:08 ford transit time lol
also m3 e92 8:05 <<< this is VERY FAST don't get me wrong, the 8 min mak is considered supercar territory

but zr1 7:26 <<< this insane
also the acr's time is even more incredible.

like i said i rode in a zr1 and was seriously impressed, this coming from a person who has ridden in and driven ferrari/lambos/maseratis on track days. to me what is really icing on the cake is: one initial cost of said vehicle, two: cost of ownership and repair

this is a serious issue, if you are worried about having to replace cooked brake pads at the ring you have to seriously consider how much a scuds regular engine maintenance will dent your wallet. Even if the ferrari had NOTHING wrong with it, it would still cost you more to upkeep it then a zr1 with parts that need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #37
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry for spamming im rambling had a tough day at work and this releases stress:

to the OP: it is quite evident what each car will provide for the driver, one really doesn't need a test drive to know which will fit his needs better. only considering zr1 vs m3 stroker as your title. this type of discussion has been beaten to death numerous times

both cars will provide excellent track day performance, this is really the only time you can seriously consider getting a zr1. if you will not track the car you DO NOT NEED A +600 HP VETTE. this is common sense there really isn't an argument for a zr1 on the street
i have still to this day never taken one of my powerful cars to work for my commute; it seems very wasteful. a trip to the shops is much more fun on a bicycle ;p
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #38
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Please show me one case of this. I have not seen any issues with ZR1's ANYWHERE
I donīt know about the ZR1, but I do own several American as well as Japanese and European cars. None of these is older than 2006. I havenīt "heard" on any written serious review or publication that the American cars I own are crap, but I can tell you first hand without any doubt, THEY ARE MOST CERTAINLY CRAP! Problem could be that these guys that test drive them donīt own them or drive them for more than perhaps a few days, but they are plagued with malfunctions all the dame time to the extent that I very much regret buying American after I had abandoned them many, many years ago for the same reasons. Unfortunately my experience is not over one brand or one car, it is the same in all two brands and three cars. Coincidence? I honestly donīt think so. I bought American again because I thought after sooooo many years the "rumors" must be wrong and the surely must have improved. After all, how difficult can it be to make a good car. Well, low and behold!!! For these guys it is very, very difficult!!! Now, one thing is for sure, the ride on one of them is GREAT and they are literally CHEAP cars. That is, the cost relatively nothing compared to their Euro or even Japanese counterparts and for the $$$ provide seemingly great value until all the malfunctions begin. They deserve to be entirely bankrupt! Christ!!!!! I would NOT trust American as far as I can toss a rock. Too bad, I honestly have given them every opportunity to prove me wrong! ZR1? Good looking outside, typical crap interior, drives great, will probably malfunction all over the place in time!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #39
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Sorry for spamming im rambling had a tough day at work and this releases stress:

to the OP: it is quite evident what each car will provide for the driver, one really doesn't need a test drive to know which will fit his needs better. only considering zr1 vs m3 stroker as your title. this type of discussion has been beaten to death numerous times

both cars will provide excellent track day performance, this is really the only time you can seriously consider getting a zr1. if you will not track the car you DO NOT NEED A +600 HP VETTE. this is common sense there really isn't an argument for a zr1 on the street
i have still to this day never taken one of my powerful cars to work for my commute; it seems very wasteful. a trip to the shops is much more fun on a bicycle ;p
In a bicycle?? lol, well, maybe for you!! But hell, you are right in so as far as not needing a 600 ZR1 if you donīt track.
      09-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #40
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

im a simple man ;p
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #41
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
I donīt know about the ZR1, but I do own several American as well as Japanese and European cars. None of these is older than 2006. I havenīt "heard" on any written serious review or publication that the American cars I own are crap, but I can tell you first hand without any doubt, THEY ARE MOST CERTAINLY CRAP! Problem could be that these guys that test drive them donīt own them or drive them for more than perhaps a few days, but they are plagued with malfunctions all the dame time to the extent that I very much regret buying American after I had abandoned them many, many years ago for the same reasons. Unfortunately my experience is not over one brand or one car, it is the same in all two brands and three cars. Coincidence? I honestly donīt think so. I bought American again because I thought after sooooo many years the "rumors" must be wrong and the surely must have improved. After all, how difficult can it be to make a good car. Well, low and behold!!! For these guys it is very, very difficult!!! Now, one thing is for sure, the ride on one of them is GREAT and they are literally CHEAP cars. That is, the cost relatively nothing compared to their Euro or even Japanese counterparts and for the $$$ provide seemingly great value until all the malfunctions begin. They deserve to be entirely bankrupt! Christ!!!!! I would NOT trust American as far as I can toss a rock. Too bad, I honestly have given them every opportunity to prove me wrong! ZR1? Good looking outside, typical crap interior, drives great, will probably malfunction all over the place in time!!

My experience is quite different. I own three corvettes. A 67, a 2006 Z06, and 2009 ZR1. My 06 I have owned for just about four years now and it has never been to the dealer ONCE (knock on wood). I have all the maintenance done at a local shop I use and it runs like a champ. Corvettes may have shitty interiors but I can guarantee that they don't have as many "bugs" as some german cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #42
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
My experience is quite different. I own three corvettes. A 67, a 2006 Z06, and 2009 ZR1. My 06 I have owned for just about four years now and it has never been to the dealer ONCE (knock on wood). I have all the maintenance done at a local shop I use and it runs like a champ. Corvettes may have shitty interiors but I can guarantee that they don't have as many "bugs" as some german cars.
+1, Jeeps are the same thing

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Wow, lots of Vets. Well, at least no one can say you have no experience owning these. lol. The ZR1 from the outside at least looks absolutely stunning and must drive like a bat out of hell. I havenīt honestly experienced but one single bug on a Euro car out of a long, long list (knock on wood as well). Anyway, congrats on such a nice collection.
      09-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #44
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

ultimate performance ZR1

ultimate looks GT3
Appreciate 0