BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Secrets for GT-R Record Ring Run Revealed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldcarfans
Last week Nissan announced the GT-R lapped the Nurburgring in an astounding 7 minues 29 seconds knocking a full 9 seconds of its previous record. We were led to believe the GT-R used was completely unmodified, but even though the GT-R has already been launched over in Japan, the engineers are still working on upgrades for its launch in Europe and the States.

Chief vehicle engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno said that the US bound GT-R will get a few tweaks including three harder engine mounts and a stiffer transaxle mount resulting in an even finer tuned suspension and powertrain. These details are certainly areas which helped the GT-R achieve a time of 7min 29 sec on the Ring.

The European version will be enhanced further with a slightly revised steering system and recalibrated rear differential although the GT-R team make a decision on this in September. But why enhance the GT-R further when it is already proved itself among the worlds top supercars? 'The GT-R is my son,' Mizuno explained. 'A son grows up and it's my duty as father to keep improving it.'
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080507....g-run-revealed
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You've got to be kidding. The entire part about believing that engine and transaxle mounts can lead to any noticeable improvement in N'Ring time is editorial drivel/speculation by WCF. It never says that Mizuno san said those things. It is bad if WCF says something like this and worse if you believe it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You've got to be kidding. The entire part about believing that engine and transaxle mounts can lead to any noticeable improvement in N'Ring time is editorial drivel/speculation by WCF. It never says that Mizuno san said those things. It is bad if WCF says something like this and worse if you believe it.

swamp,

If you check you will find that just about every magazine/web site is reporting the same thing and stating that the statement has in fact come from Mizuno.

I agree that it does sound bizarre to think that engine and trasaxle mounts could make such a difference but I am keeping an open mind because I know how something as simple as a strut bar can make to how a car feels in your hands and even if the actual improve is small in terms of grip the confidence it gives makes you feel able to push a bit harder. On such a long lap as the ring it is possible for such added confidence to make up those extra seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
On such a long lap as the ring it is possible for such added confidence to make up those extra seconds.
Go ahead and keep on dreaming.

1 second: sure (however that is in the "noise floor"), 5 seconds: I'd place an enormous wager against it, 9 seconds: keep dreaming and deluding yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

How many turns does the Nordschliefe have...70, 71? If you make up a quarter of a second per turn, that equates to, what, a 17 second improvement, give or take. Cut that in half to one-eighth of a second improvement, and we are talking about 8-9 second improvement in total track time.
So, it is entirely feasible.
      05-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Go ahead and keep on dreaming.

1 second: sure (however that is in the "noise floor"), 5 seconds: I'd place an enormous wager against it, 9 seconds: keep dreaming and deluding yourself.
It's not dreaming swamp, it's keeping an open mind.

You believe it's not possible to improve a lap time by that much, fair enough and you might be right but I do know that small changes can effect how a car feels and it's that what can make all the difference. In fact the difference between Michelin PS2 and Goodyear F1 tyres on a GTI can make 0.4s on a 58 second lap, the actual grip improvement is possibly nil but the way the car feels and behaves is much nicer with the Goodyear's and you feel more confident to press that bit harder in the knowledge that the car is more predictable on the limit.

Maybe these changes are doing exactly that, making the car more predictable at the limit and thus improving the lap time in the process. It's not always the case that more power or lighter weight is require to improve things, always remember that.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
How many turns does the Nordschliefe have...70, 71? If you make up a quarter of a second per turn, that equates to, what, a 17 second improvement, give or take. Cut that in half to one-eighth of a second improvement, and we are talking about 8-9 second improvement in total track time.
So, it is entirely feasible.
from drivetrain mounting changes? no way going to solid mounts conserved that much energy transferring it to the wheels, can't imagine it adding so much feedback and confidence that it saves that amount of time either.

btw, 1/8 second PER TURN is huge time, not peanuts, I was pleased when going to R tires dropped 1.5s off of my average lap times.

but then we all know this car runs on magic since it was created by powerful unicorns genetically engineered by Japan's finest.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
OzCarfreak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merc / BMW /Audi

Quote:

THe GTR crushes the M division and crushes Swamp - GT- r / V-spec next car.

M3 is already toast ,
sad thing is it now has to endure 7 years of being toast
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCarfreak View Post
THe GTR crushes the M division and crushes Swamp - GT- r / V-spec next car.

M3 is already toast ,
sad thing is it now has to endure 7 years of being toast
It is sad and very amateur if anyone believes power is everything.

A traditional buyer of an M3 will never consider a Nissan ... or whatever it's. Nissan appeals to a totally different driver market ... just like AMG and RS's from Audi.

The Nissans and the STi's appeal to boy racers and I don't want to be seen in one. It's not my kind of car. If Nissan is faster so what. AMG cars have always been faster ... and how many M3 buyers have switched sides.

Ozcarfreak's statement is a typical Aussie line ... never satisfied with what you have ... grass is always greener on the other side ... and life and driving is all about muscle cars.

We are comparing chalk and cheese here and we are not doing justice to anyone rather thank making a fool of ourselves with lame comparisions.

Lets grow up!
      05-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
btw, 1/8 second PER TURN is huge time, not peanuts, I was pleased when going to R tires dropped 1.5s off of my average lap times.
How many miles/lap on the track you are referring to? Is it 13 miles long?
      05-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
How many miles/lap on the track you are referring to? Is it 13 miles long?
race tires are a more obvious performance upgrade than solid mounts wouldn't you agree?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
It is sad and very amateur if anyone believes power is everything.

A traditional buyer of an M3 will never consider a Nissan ... or whatever it's. Nissan appeals to a totally different driver market ... just like AMG and RS's from Audi.

The Nissans and the STi's appeal to boy racers and I don't want to be seen in one. It's not my kind of car. If Nissan is faster so what. AMG cars have always been faster ... and how many M3 buyers have switched sides.

Ozcarfreak's statement is a typical Aussie line ... never satisfied with what you have ... grass is always greener on the other side ... and life and driving is all about muscle cars.

We are comparing chalk and cheese here and we are not doing justice to anyone rather thank making a fool of ourselves with lame comparisions.

Lets grow up!
i think the same, m3 rocks,
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Sakred
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR Black Edition

It should also be noted that the 7.38 run was done with wet spots on the track. since the weather has been better lately the time improvement can be attributed solely to that, rather then some minute changes to the chassis mounts.

Hammad
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

marketing at its best
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
marketing at its best
Holy thread revival Batman!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Sakred
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR Black Edition

Cool story bro.
      07-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

GTR GTR!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i believe! I will be buying my APC engine mounts and strut bars for my M3 civic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i believe! I will be buying my APC engine mounts and strut bars for my M3 civic tomorrow.
Hey hey. I'll take one as well...

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Hey hey. I'll take one as well...
it'll only work if you're non-zcp...ZCP non-civic M3s with CF roofs do not need it b/c they won't flip their car b/c of lower weight off their roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
it'll only work if you're non-zcp...ZCP non-civic M3s with CF roofs do not need it b/c they won't flip their car b/c of lower weight off their roof.
The online rep actually told me that too.

Man, you know your stuff!

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Let's not forget a GT with options is 115k car out the door.

An M3, 60-75k. That's almost double. Factory in non warranty costs @ 50,000 miles and you are talking WELL over double the price of an M3. Ya'll need to keep your cool it's apples to oranges

Torsional rigidity certainly helps with lap times.