BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Sponsor M3 Project Cars Showcase

BPM

11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
The plate with the 3 studs tend to bend even at 13lbs of torque ... GC recommends 18lbs which will result in pulling one of the studs from the plate ... Also very noisy ... We have had 4 cars with the issues with GC plates ... One of them went back directly to GC and they were unable to fix it and offered my customer a refund. We of course were not compensated for the labor time and this is why we don't install GC anymore.

Vorshlag so far trouble free ...
Ok, thanks

The issue I've seen with GC plates is when people attempt to pull the F strut into the strut tower by torquing one screw. I've personally installed 4 sets of GC plates (fully torqued to 18 lbf-in) and I've had zero installation issues and zero noise issues. The only thing that creates noise, regardless of camber plate, is if the sway bar is not aligned properly on a lowered car and/or the OEM sway bar chassis mounting bushings are too tight (this is very common).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

That's awesome guys
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Ok, thanks

The issue I've seen with GC plates is when people attempt to pull the F strut into the strut tower by torquing one screw. I've personally installed 4 sets of GC plates (fully torqued to 18 lbf-in) and I've had zero installation issues and zero noise issues. The only thing that creates noise, regardless of camber plate, is if the sway bar is not aligned properly on a lowered car and/or the OEM sway bar chassis mounting bushings are too tight (this is very common).
The sway bars don't make that type of noise that CPs make. The sway bars on m3 have a positioning point for bushings so it's hard to screw that up ... yes you do need to use special grease and tape to make sway-bars quite and lubricated but it's a different issue ...

How many track day have you had with GC plates ?

You can torque it to 18 lbf-in but GC calls to torque it to 18 ft/lbs, but the most important issue is that even if the stud is still in place, the actual plate gets bent and you can't see it unless you remove the CP from the car and compare to the new plate.

Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #26
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Aleks, I replied you pm back about the Brembo. But never get a reply from you .
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The sway bars don't make that type of noise that CPs make. The sway bars on m3 have a positioning point for bushings so it's hard to screw that up ... yes you do need to use special grease and tape to make sway-bars quite and lubricated but it's a different issue ...

How many track day have you had with GC plates ?

You can torque it to 18 lbf-in but GC calls to torque it to 18 ft/lbs, but the most important issue is that even if the stud is still in place, the actual plate gets bent and you can't see it unless you remove the CP from the car and compare to the new plate.

Aleks.
Oops...typo - I did/do torque to 18 lbf-ft

I made a comment about the sway bar noise because I've never heard a single noise coming from any of the GC "street" plates I've used/installed. Yes, I know the difference between noises caused by camber plates and sway bars/end links.

Number of track days may increase the probability of a bolt failure; however, the combined axial-bending-torque/shear loading applied to the bolts while installing the front strut is much worse than the loading the clamped-up and preloaded strut bolts will be subjected to once installed - the installed plate and bolts act like two "springs in parallel", and the load sharing between the bolts and plate is a function of their relative bolt-to-joint stiffness ratio.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #28
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Oops...typo - I did/do torque to 18 lbf-ft

I made a comment about the sway bar noise because I've never heard a single noise coming from any of the GC "street" plates I've used/installed. Yes, I know the difference between noises caused by camber plates and sway bars/end links.

Number of track days may increase the probability of a bolt failure; however, the combined axial-bending-torque/shear loading applied to the bolts while installing the front strut is much worse than the loading the clamped-up and preloaded strut bolts will be subjected to once installed - the installed plate and bolts act like two "springs in parallel", and the load sharing between the bolts and plate is a function of their relative bolt-to-joint stiffness ratio.
You are welcome to use what you like ... But when the manufacturer admits that their part has failed and they couldn't fix the problem on my customer's car I don't feel confident selling this product to my customers ...
just sharing our experience ... that's all
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You are welcome to use what you like ... But when the manufacturer admits that their part has failed and they couldn't fix the problem on my customer's car I don't feel confident selling this product to my customers ...
just sharing our experience ... that's all
I thank you for sharing your experiences with us

I would share my experiences with you but I don't want to start anything - we all have preferences on the parts/brands that we use and I'll leave it at that...

Again, thanks and to get things back on topic - awesome build
Appreciate 0