BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Best in car camera instead of GoPro

Looking to see if you guys have any input on a camera I can keep constantly mounted in my car and is sleek. Was thinking possibly something that would mount like on my rear view mirror or can kind of conceal behind it? My goal is to record runs I have but would love something that is always mounted and I can just flick a switch to turn on. I seem to come across some fun runs very often unplanned so this would be ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Sony makes a pov camera that is pretty slick.
      03-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

ReplayXD1080. Great shotgun shell-shaped POV camera, that's small, light and discreet. Great video quality.

http://replayxd.com

Here's a video of mine:
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Those are what I am looking for - much appreciated!

mlhj83,
Where do you mount yours especially in that video? Do you think it's something that could be discreetly mounted on or near the rearview mirror? I'm guessing yours is on the dash.

I'm thinking maybe my best option would be to find one with a small remote control and leave it mounted on top of the rear seats below the glass? I would like to be able to capture more of the body of a car right next to me so this may be the best angle...

BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Hm I guess it just comes down to preference as the ReplayXD1080 is $300 and has a hardwire switch available for $100.

GoPro Hero 3 Black comes with a really cool WiFi remote which also hooks up the iPhone to view.

I think if I'm planning on mounting it primarily on top of the backseat area the cameras would be both out of the way enough. The Replay camera is definitely sleeker looking IMO but the GoPro doesn't look nearly as bad once it's out of that plastic case.

Any more suggestions are appreciated of course!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Megabeast
Manual Shift Supporter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 Manual

Garage List
Great video quality... but I am impressed on the landscape and scenery on the video
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast View Post
Great video quality... but I am impressed on the landscape and scenery on the video
Cheers! The actual video quality is better than what is shown on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
Those are what I am looking for - much appreciated!

mlhj83,
Where do you mount yours especially in that video? Do you think it's something that could be discreetly mounted on or near the rearview mirror? I'm guessing yours is on the dash.

I'm thinking maybe my best option would be to find one with a small remote control and leave it mounted on top of the rear seats below the glass? I would like to be able to capture more of the body of a car right next to me so this may be the best angle...
Yes, it can be mounted on the rearview mirror using the non-residue 3M adhesive SnapTray that comes with the kit. It sticks on to the base of the rearview mirror perfectly, without any protrusions - the SnapTray is tiny and pretty much weightless. The camera is also very light and the kit comes with a swivel HeimLock Mount that quickly allows you to do fine position adjustments. The HeimLock which attaches to the camera, can easily be detached from the SnapTray, leaving the SnapTray on the base of the rearview mirror.

The other benefit of the circular nature of the ReplayXD1080 is, regardless of the position of the mount, you can always rotate and orientate the camera quickly so that it is always right side up - not so simple with the GoPro, given that the GoPro's hinge is always at the bottom of the camera (with the case on).

I was using a homemade windscreen mount in the video above, but I have since purchased a proper suction mount with a short arm, and I can stick it anywhere I want. In short, I use the suction mount for windscreen and body panels, SnapTray+HeimLock for rearview mirror and my helmet:

I would personally have the Hero 3 in-addition to the ReplayXD1080 as they complement each other very well.

Last edited by mlhj83; 03-31-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
Evolved M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Monoprice just released their own version of an action cam. They just got them in stock and sold out in days. Pissed I didn't get my order in. They are supposed to ship again April 1st (just checked). Im probably gonna pick up 2 of them. They are cheap too, less than $100 for the camera and less than $20 for the mount.

Take a look at it, as it actually sounds exactly what you want. Its small, and turns on with a simple slide switch. Monoprice stuff is know to have cheap prices but still great quality for the price.

03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Evolved,
Very cool! Definitely the best camera I have seen for that price. I'm going to explore some mounting options today and if I can get away with having it in reach all time it could be a good option. I think the one thing was the 140degree angle vs. 170 on the other two. I, not sure if that 170 number is realistic however...

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved M3 View Post
Monoprice just released their own version of an action cam......
The demo video isn't very impressive. Shadow/black are nearly indistinguishable and the color seems off.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Evolved M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
The demo video isn't very impressive. Shadow/black are nearly indistinguishable and the color seems off.
Im not saying its the best (I haven't test it yet). But to me, unless im putting together a professional video or commercial or something to that degree, then this camera should be fine. For anyone just trying to get some quick clips on the road, quick track videos etc. just to keep or upload on youtube, then this should be fine. Obviously for a more profesional video, the GoPro or others in the that range will be a better fit.

For me, i'll take my chance and pick up a couple of these.

Here is a quick comparison which I found online of the 2 cameras. I do agree the Monoprice is darker (seems like more contrast), and shadows do appear darker. Im sure you could edit these things afterwards anyway.
Attached Images

04-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Nik, I run this cam and it is very user friendly. Has a single button you slide to turn on, tons of mounting hardware options, you can view what your camera see's via iphone etc... Hopfully I'll have some cool vids to post once my cars done

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-35435386.html

Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Cheers! The actual video quality is better than what is shown on Youtube.

Yes, it can be mounted on the rearview mirror using the non-residue 3M adhesive SnapTray that comes with the kit. It sticks on to the base of the rearview mirror perfectly, without any protrusions - the SnapTray is tiny and pretty much weightless. The camera is also very light and the kit comes with a swivel HeimLock Mount that quickly allows you to do fine position adjustments. The HeimLock which attaches to the camera, can easily be detached from the SnapTray, leaving the SnapTray on the base of the rearview mirror.

The other benefit of the circular nature of the ReplayXD1080 is, regardless of the position of the mount, you can always rotate and orientate the camera quickly so that it is always right side up - not so simple with the GoPro, given that the GoPro's hinge is always at the bottom of the camera (with the case on).

I was using a homemade windscreen mount in the video above, but I have since purchased a proper suction mount with a short arm, and I can stick it anywhere I want. In short, I use the suction mount for windscreen and body panels, SnapTray+HeimLock for rearview mirror and my helmet:

I would personally have the Hero 3 in-addition to the ReplayXD1080 as they complement each other very well.
Great review. We've recently made the switch from the GoPro to the ReplayXD units as well - couldn't be happier.

ReplayXD is what we'll be using to capture all of our track footage now.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Contour cams are cool and JVC makes some nice tiny action cams.
http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=141
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for the input. I actually ordered the ReplayXD but returned it and went with the GoPro Hero 3. The way the GoPro works with the app is much better for setting up a perfect shot and with the replay I would have needed am extra screen etc. I decided against leaving a camera on full time or even mounted full time as I don't think it's wise to record my day to day activities lol. I really didn't like any of the mounting options for the gopro as I hate those big suction cup looking things. What I actually did was buy those little Velcro ovals and put one behind my steering so I can record the speedo and another on top of the dash to record runs. I have a Velcro oval on the bottom of my gopro so when I want to set it down I just put it on one of those spots and I'm good to go! I didn't realize how small the GoPro was until I got it. It is perfect and actually is sleeker for the interior IMO. It's so tiny and light that a tiny piece of Velcro holds it perfectly. Actually tried it on my rearview mirror and it held very well. Hopefully we will have some nicer weather the next couple days as I am ready for some nice late night speedo recordings! Will post them here when available.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Another option is the Contour 2 and contour 2+. They are great cameras. Very easy to use and picture is competitive with gopros.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Anyone have some pics of their setup showing how and where it is mounted ? Hoping to get some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Anyone have some pics of their setup showing how and where it is mounted ? Hoping to get some ideas.
I don't have any pictures of my setup handy, but I use the carbon fiber mount from AMT-Engineering in my M. I have used it for my GoPro3 and Contour Roam. I have even used it for my bulky/heavy Canon 5DII DSLR, but the camera/lens is really too heavy for the headrest. Here is a link to where I got mine:

AMT-Engineering

They show some photos with the aluminum hardware in silver, but mine came in anodized black.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
NikB316
Captain
Rep

^ that thing is sweet for track use and all! My lil Velcro setup is nice for street stuff lol. I'll post some pictures later as it actually came out quite nice. The place I put a piece on top of my dash has actually come in really useful if I need to put an ezpass there temporarily if someone else is driving my car (I hold mine up). Also, the Vbox sport looks like it will go perfectly there as well. It's such a small black oval on a black interior that its hardly noticible.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

yeah those AMT mounts look pretty hardcore but i'm looking for something a little more discrete

i was thinking about getting the replay because it looks like with the included Heimlock mount you could just stick it anywhere and then easily tilt and swivel it to get any shot you want. I might even get the 720 version which is even smaller and lighter and half the price, and only seems to lack the hdmi out (and obviously the ability to capture 1080).

Nik if you get the chance i've love to see how you are using the gopro with the velcro.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

I've had a ContourHD for maybe 2yrs now...

Does well, decent features but not real friendly with wind noise. I use mine mostly for dirtbikes though, does great inside the car.

Just upgraded to the newer C+2 model for the iPhone controls/viewer and am having mic issues, working with Contour and the vendor to resolve but the picture and features are a good bit better than my HD. Worth a look... lots of mount options too.

Born on July 4th, 2012, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
jwaggen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

It looks like you want this to record a track day etc., correct? Or did you want it as a dashcam?