BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #67
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
I hate to say this, but either do you.

Some of you on this thread have missed the point!!!!!!!! The car would not go putt, putt, after giving it a little bit of throttle, when shifting from 2nd to first, It has nothing to do with having a 6 spd MT, I have neck ties older then you, and about $1000.000.00 more car's then you have had in your life time. I had a bunch of little pricks like you as an instructor in the AF, It's called BIG SHOT ITIS Grow up! It's not about you. This forum is here for all of us.

Just giving you a little shi* for fun, In all due respect.

Your friend Scott
first of all coz i said "including me". 2nd of all u didnt add any value. 3rd if ur all that, how come u still talk like a fucking idiot?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #68
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

For those who haven't yet done a trackday (BTW, you're missing out, and the skills you pick up on-track will be usable every day on the street) ---

The reason you want to be able to bang a shift into 1st at 20 (or 40 or anywhere in-between) is because on the track you always get your braking and downshifting done before you wind in any steering. Well, for advanced guys who trail-brake there's certainly some overlap between finishing up braking and beginning steering to help rotate the car but we'll hit that another day.

Anyway, sure, you may be near redline by going into first at 40mph but guess what? You're still on the brakes. Hard. Almost engaging ABS even. By the time you apex and want full throttle (my best instructor maintains that if you're not full-throttle at the apex, you came in too hot -- again a topic for another day) you could be going as slow as 20mph. Generally speaking you don't want to upset the car by downshifting mid-turn and also generally speaking you want max power from apex to track-out so in a really tight hairpin turn only 1st gear will do the job. If the straight before said hairpin was a 120mph straight then you start to get the idea regarding being at max braking yet still wanting 1st gear selected and engaged, e.g., clutch pedal out on corner entry. You could be as slow as 4,000rpm at the apex in 1st gear since you braked significantly after grabbing 1st at 40mph. At that speed, 2nd ain't gonna get the job done for good acceleration.

Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #69
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM View Post
For those who haven't yet done a trackday (BTW, you're missing out, and the skills you pick up on-track will be usable every day on the street) ---

The reason you want to be able to bang a shift into 1st at 20 (or 40 or anywhere in-between) is because on the track you always get your braking and downshifting done before you wind in any steering. Well, for advanced guys who trail-brake there's certainly some overlap between finishing up braking and beginning steering to help rotate the car but we'll hit that another day.

Anyway, sure, you may be near redline by going into first at 40mph but guess what? You're still on the brakes. Hard. Almost engaging ABS even. By the time you apex and want full throttle (my best instructor maintains that if you're not full-throttle at the apex, you came in too hot -- again a topic for another day) you could be going as slow as 20mph. Generally speaking you don't want to upset the car by downshifting mid-turn and also generally speaking you want max power from apex to track-out so in a really tight hairpin turn only 1st gear will do the job. If the straight before said hairpin was a 120mph straight then you start to get the idea regarding being at max braking yet still wanting 1st gear selected and engaged, e.g., clutch pedal out on corner entry. You could be as slow as 4,000rpm at the apex in 1st gear since you braked significantly after grabbing 1st at 40mph. At that speed, 2nd ain't gonna get the job done for good acceleration.

Make sense?
Absolutely.

And I agree with your instructor. The object is not to get around this particular turn faster than the other guy. It's to get down to the next turn faster than the other guy.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #70
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i've had three DCT anomalies occur in 1300 miles. in each case i was making a right turn onto another street. the first time, i was braking and and at the apex of the turn i was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd (S3 mode). as i hit the gas to slightly accelerate out of remaining portion of the turn, i noticed that my car was not responding at all. i had given it gas up to 3000 rpm (my music was on and i didn't notice this as soon as i would without the music on). my car coasted to nearly a dead stop and then i hit the gas slightly and it seemed to be okay after that. that was the worst incident.

the other two incidents involved going around a corner during a downshift and having little-to-no power for a good 2 seconds. it felt like if you were to try to start off the line from a dead stop in 3rd gear instead of 1st in a 6MT (if that makes sense), but it in my case i was doing around 15-20 mph in 2nd gear after it downshifted from 3rd to 2nd.
Appreciate 0