BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Favorite Roads

Thought I'd start something we should all contribute to, our favorite driving routes. I'll start off with Zion National Park, Utah - just north of the Grand Canyon. Get on the road early before the stinking motor home pilots can empty the porta-potties and boil their coffee. East to West seemed to have less traffic and the sun is at your back early. Gorgeous country and a fun road to drive.

Following is a MapQuest link:

Well - the first attempt crapped out - give me a couple of minutes ; -)

To hell with the link - here's a *.jpg - the road is Utah Highway 9 - town on the west side is Springdale, town on the east side is Mount Carmel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Almost any road in Tennessee except the interstates- and even they're not too bad.

Blowin thru some of those little hoot-n-hollers on beautifully paved roads is just great driving. People are nice.
Kentucky same thing- great roads, gorgeous scenery but really hard-ass KHP cops.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Great thread. Not in any particular order, these are some that I have driven:

1) The Pacific Coast Highway - One of my favorites. Can be crowded, but the sights are hard to beat. My only regrets are that I have yet to have a really good car on it. Once I even had a old station wagon, which definitely wasn't a curve loving machine.

2) Palisades Parkway in NY

3) Blue Ridge Parkway in NC & VA

4) The Big Island in HI - A wide variety of roads with wonderful scenery, but the cops are a PITA.

5) The Autobahn in Germany (particulary the speed unlimited sections)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Here's one...Un-favorite...St. Louis.
Major North-South and East-West interstates vortexing at St. Louis.
No matter how fast they build the roads they can't keep up. Some roads and overpasses don't even get fixed-
it's like the roads were shelled by mortars, cars broken down in thru-lanes that highway crews haven't removed.

It is a nightmare in morning and evening rush hour
with traffic sitting for 40 minutes without moving. You see people getting out of their cars and screaming like crazy people banging on their car because of the sheer frustration/bad air/lousy radio/gotta piss awful trapped situation. And this is contagious. After awhile everyone is honking their horns yelling going nuts.

Best time- late night but you're sharing it with truckers who have gone from being some of the best most polite drivers on the road to among the worst in what seems like the blink of an eye.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Well, my favorite road is the Hana Highway, Maui. I guess we're talking about spirited driving roads though, eh? In that case my nod goes to the Kancamagus (the Kanc) in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Highly recommended. I find late winter/early spring to be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Best time- late night but you're sharing it with truckers who have gone from being some of the best most polite drivers on the road to among the worst in what seems like the blink of an eye.
I've noticed that about truckers as well. Years ago I loved traveling at night and enjoyed sharing the road with the truckers. Now they seem even more rushed than the rest of us and with less sleep too. Unfortunately being in a hurry combined with a major sleep deficit has resulted in politeness and safety going out the window.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
drift
I can't help it, I'm old
Rep
Drives:

this is simple, The TOTD!
Appreciate 0