BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #67
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

That is correct. As far as I'm tracking standard windshield wiper fluid is 30% meth, 70% distilled water with some soapy "stuff" in it. The meth for the engine is 70% meth, 30% distilled water and no soapy "stuff" in it. It dries fast and is a little streaky, but works in a pinch.
      12-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #68
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I think this setup uses the Windshield Fluid reservoir to store the Methanol that is used in the system. However you can still use windshield fluid function of the car to clean your windows only now it will be spraying methanol on your windshield and not the regular windshield fluid you are accustomed to. My understanding is that spraying the methanol on the windshield is still safe and will still clean the windshield.

basically the reservoir now has dual functionality
This sounds like a potential issue. I noticed that washer fluid often gets low after a track session without using the washer, and some of my friends noticed similar issue, so it appears that the fluid either evaporates due to high temps under hood or leaks out somehow. I would not want that to happen to meth during a track session.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #69
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I think this setup uses the Windshield Fluid reservoir to store the Methanol that is used in the system. However you can still use windshield fluid function of the car to clean your windows only now it will be spraying methanol on your windshield and not the regular windshield fluid you are accustomed to. My understanding is that spraying the methanol on the windshield is still safe and will still clean the windshield.

basically the reservoir now has dual functionality
cleaning your windshield with methanol
      12-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #70
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
cleaning your windshield with methanol
It works pretty good!
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #71
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

this thing put down 397whp.. imagine a stage 2 intake, pulley, and catless.. great gains! this thing has potential to be in the mid 4's to the wheels. pretty damn great gains for non FI. great work. lemme let all ur others experiment w/ this for awhile before i jump on.

how safe is this? doesn't seem to bad, because whats happening is basic chemistry and it seems like it would benefit the car more than harm it.. engine runs cooler, and octane at combustion is boosted. we especially need something like that on the west coast, w/ our supreme pump gas being 91 which is garbo. but maybe its too good to be true? It definitely seems safe and promising but whats the danger down the road if any?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #72
Longbow64
_______
Rep

I would say the only downside is a reliance on a stocked supply of meth and it's a tough habit to kick. This unit is going to really shine when paired with the VT535 non intercooler supercharger kit. Someone with that setup needs to contact Shiv and work out an install.
      12-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #73
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
this thing put down 397whp.. imagine a stage 2 intake, pulley, and catless.. great gains! this thing has potential to be in the mid 4's to the wheels. pretty damn great gains for non FI. great work. lemme let all ur others experiment w/ this for awhile before i jump on.

how safe is this? doesn't seem to bad, because whats happening is basic chemistry and it seems like it would benefit the car more than harm it.. engine runs cooler, and octane at combustion is boosted. we especially need something like that on the west coast, w/ our supreme pump gas being 91 which is garbo. but maybe its too good to be true? It definitely seems safe and promising but whats the danger down the road if any?
I don't see any danger down the road. The car feel so much smoother when the meth flows. And if it runs out, you are on a stock tune.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #74
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I would assume this procede has the autotune feature like all other ones? i.e. when you DO mix some 100 oct. in there, it gets even more fun?
      12-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #75
Salna
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3

Eagerly awaiting details on this as well, sounds sweet. Details for a happy New Year?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #76
Longbow64
_______
Rep

The M3 maps do not have an autotune feature. The specific tunes allows for a more aggressive tune. Running race gas won't cause any issues and you'll still see gains, just not as much as running a race gas specific map. You could adjust Map 2 or 3 as a race gas map accordingly.
      12-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #77
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
The M3 maps do not have an autotune feature. The specific tunes allows for a more aggressive tune. Running race gas won't cause any issues and you'll still see gains, just not as much as running a race gas specific map. You could adjust Map 2 or 3 as a race gas map accordingly.
Thanks for the update
      05-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #78
FRajput
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E93 M3 - 6MT

Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just purchased my E93 M3 a few months ago and have just installed a snow meth kit for high comp NA motors. Mind if I see some pics of where you placed the nozzle exactly? Or does it just spray right into the filter?

I was told to put it after the MAF, but there is legit no room except in the manifold (which I'd like to avoid for obvious reasons). So I ran it through a hole in the filter and am essentially letting it dangle for the time being. Let me know if the meth if effectively getting in the motor or if your filter is just getting wet. Also is your MAF throwing codes or is that ok as well?

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #79
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRajput View Post
Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just purchased my E93 M3 a few months ago and have just installed a snow meth kit for high comp NA motors. Mind if I see some pics of where you placed the nozzle exactly? Or does it just spray right into the filter?

I was told to put it after the MAF, but there is legit no room except in the manifold (which I'd like to avoid for obvious reasons). So I ran it through a hole in the filter and am essentially letting it dangle for the time being. Let me know if the meth if effectively getting in the motor or if your filter is just getting wet. Also is your MAF throwing codes or is that ok as well?

Thanks man!
Don't have a MAF, we use MAP/alpha-n.

"From front to rear, the entire flow of intake air in the new eight-cylinder power unit does not require the usual hot-film air mass flow meter with its obligatory sensors. Instead of determining engine load by means of such elaborate sensors, therefore, which would also create disadvantages in air guidance due to the geometry of the components involved, the V8 power unit of the new BMW M3 uses the engine control unit to perform this function. To do this, the system determines engine load under current driving conditions by taking the position of the throttle butterfly and idle adjuster, the position of the VANOS control unit, engine speed, air temperature and air pressure into account. This, in turn, gives the engineers at BMW M GmbH new freedom in the configuration and optimisation of the engine air intake process. And at the same time this management concept operates with maximum reliability." -- BMW press release 3/22/07
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #80
FRajput
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Don't have a MAF, we use MAP/alpha-n.

"From front to rear, the entire flow of intake air in the new eight-cylinder power unit does not require the usual hot-film air mass flow meter with its obligatory sensors. Instead of determining engine load by means of such elaborate sensors, therefore, which would also create disadvantages in air guidance due to the geometry of the components involved, the V8 power unit of the new BMW M3 uses the engine control unit to perform this function. To do this, the system determines engine load under current driving conditions by taking the position of the throttle butterfly and idle adjuster, the position of the VANOS control unit, engine speed, air temperature and air pressure into account. This, in turn, gives the engineers at BMW M GmbH new freedom in the configuration and optimisation of the engine air intake process. And at the same time this management concept operates with maximum reliability." -- BMW press release 3/22/07

OH WOW I feel stupid. Thanks so much man. This is the first car that I myself have bought and am absolutely terrified with this euro technology

So will the Meth screw up the sensor before the plenum or throw codes?

2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 ... Luxury Package ... Sport Package ... Premium Package ... Tech Package
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #81
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OH WOW I feel stupid. Thanks so much man. This is the first car that I myself have bought and am absolutely terrified with this euro technology

Not sure what sensor you're referring to. If you're referring to the corrugated plastic hose that plugs into the intake elbow, that is the PCV hose that plumbs crankcase gases back into the intake tract. There's nothing to worry about there from a meth standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #82
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Quote:

Haha no worries.
I don't believe there is a sensor before the plenum. That being said nozzle placement can be tricky so I'll let someone more experienced chime in on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #83
FRajput
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys so much. Time to drill a hole

2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 ... Luxury Package ... Sport Package ... Premium Package ... Tech Package
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #84
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I run 2 nozzles screwed into the end of the air filter. The Vishnu Procede is tuned for the meth (timing increases and some of the fuel is taken out to compensate for the meth that is added) and has built in safeguards. You should still see a little benefit with the snow as long as you do not end up running too rich
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #85
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
I'll stick with Ethanol

I actually bought TMR's kit, I was just never able to get it working and I never bothered sending it into Vishnu (who was really willing to help), so I bagged this thing up and have no idea where it is in my garage.

I believe Vishnu installed a lot of these by himself. He provides no wiring diagram and the install instructions are complete shit. If you can make it work, this kit would be great for NA/Non-intercooled supercharger applications.

If anyone wants to succeed where I have failed, PM me, I'll give you a great deal.

Ultimately, I went the ethanol route and have zero regrets.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #86
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

E85 is great if available in the areas you drive. Nearest station is an hour away for me so that is not practical.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #87
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
I believe Vishnu installed a lot of these by himself. He provides no wiring diagram and the install instructions are complete shit. If you can make it work, this kit would be great for NA/Non-intercooled supercharger applications.
The instructions on the website are accurate, I was able to use them and install it. But it will require some help from them b/c no matter what I tried, there were some "issues" with kit. Unfortunately, the person who sold me the kit never mentioned those, but in looking at some of the seller's conversations about it, and talking to Benvo, there were some issues he couldn't resolve, which is why he sold it. I'll be working diligently with Vishnu this summer so that the kit will be 100%, but I'm making a few changes to address what I feel are some shortcomings, as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #88
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
The instructions on the website are accurate, I was able to use them and install it. But it will require some help from them b/c no matter what I tried, there were some "issues" with kit. Unfortunately, the person who sold me the kit never mentioned those, but in looking at some of the seller's conversations about it, and talking to Benvo, there were some issues he couldn't resolve, which is why he sold it. I'll be working diligently with Vishnu this summer so that the kit will be 100%, but I'm making a few changes to address what I feel are some shortcomings, as well.
I'd start with a wiring diagram and go from there. The kit I had was kinda of beta/hack up made to work and the instructions were about as helpful as a cock punch.
Appreciate 0