BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #23
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
Anyone have an update on this problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouhii View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
Anyone have an update on this problem?
I had this problem on two M3s. I switched from an 08 to an 09 and no longer had the issue. I heard it had something to do with the main bearing and that BMW had a fix for it. My 09 I am assuming had the fix as I have not had the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #25
kouhii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
I had this problem on two M3s. I switched from an 08 to an 09 and no longer had the issue. I heard it had something to do with the main bearing and that BMW had a fix for it. My 09 I am assuming had the fix as I have not had the issue.
Hello knifegun,

I have the 09 DCT with around 4700 miles on it. I started hearing it at around 3xxx miles don't know the exact miles.

Haven't gone to the dealers yet, I want to know what it is before letting them touch my car.

Do you have any links/references I can go to for the fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
kouhii
Private
Rep

Brought the car in for service.
They are not exactly sure what is causing the tick...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
They are not exactly sure what is causing the tick...
A high quality video would be nice. These engines are not quiet by any means, so it's impossible to know what you guys are talking about. My engine ticks since day 1, but it sounds like normal valvetrain noise, and at normal volume. If it started making more noise all of a sudden, then it might be a problem. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #28
kouhii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
A high quality video would be nice. These engines are not quiet by any means, so it's impossible to know what you guys are talking about. My engine ticks since day 1, but it sounds like normal valvetrain noise, and at normal volume. If it started making more noise all of a sudden, then it might be a problem. Good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=NTldnJF4x7k
Exactly like this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #29
kouhii
Private
Rep

Hello All,

They have found the problem. It is the crank bearing.
Repair won't be done until next week. I'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Hello All,

They have found the problem. It is the crank bearing.
Repair won't be done until next week. I'll keep you guys posted.
They're going to fix a crank bearing??? This is NOT good since there have been a few cars with it now.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #31
kouhii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
They're going to fix a crank bearing??? This is NOT good since there have been a few cars with it now.
That's what SA told me.

I gave the shop foreman a ride and a very detailed explanation of how to reproduce the problem. He even told me it is strange that this is not a known problem because usually BMWNA usually gives him a service bulletin regarding the sound and how to fix it.

Important thing was the foreman was very nice and admitted that this is not normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #32
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
Just thought I'd give some updates to the random clicking sound coming from the engine bay I've been hearing on my 6mt e90. First, I don't have a video, as I think the wind noise would make it impossible to hear. But I do have some more observations and would love to see if anyone else has this noise. Basically, it's random clicking when driving btwn 1 to 1.5k RPM. It only seems to happen when the engine is warm, in gear (have heard it in 1, 2, 3, and 4th), and under at least mild load (did not hear it going down a hill and engine breaking).

Unlike the other clicking sounds mentioned on this board (see prior posts on this thread), I still can't reproduce it in my garage, in neutral, revving to 1.3k (or so).
I took my car in about a month ago for a non specific noise coming from underneath. I can't reproduce unless the car is in gear, transmission under load @ low rpms. They told me it was the oil level, even though the electronic gizmo said the oil level was fine.

Not bueno.

You'd figure after the S54 bearing fiasco they would have had the S65 so solid you could lob a grenade in there.

Did the bearing part numbers change for MY 2009 or 2010?

And damn I just figured out how old this thread was...

Last edited by Ajax-Prime; 05-07-2010 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #33
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

It seems the bearing did change in late 2008, so I'm surprised kouhii's 2009 car has the problem.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381401

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #34
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Folks,

That's my car in the video. As I've posted in other threads, the noise mysteriously disappeared around 3k miles. I've been to many AX's and the track without a problem or recurrence. So, true, maybe there is something horribly wrong with my engine, but I doubt it. You know the drill, good bearing goes bad, finds religion, and gets saved. It happens all the time. But usually just in sitcoms.

Seriously, there's a lot of FUD to be found, but no one really knows what caused this sound or if it was serious. Some folks got their dealers to give them new cars. That's pretty kick-ass. But I couldn't spend the effort to swing that, unless it had gotten worse. Which it didn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #35
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Folks,

That's my car in the video. As I've posted in other threads, the noise mysteriously disappeared around 3k miles. I've been to many AX's and the track without a problem or recurrence. So, true, maybe there is something horribly wrong with my engine, but I doubt it. You know the drill, good bearing goes bad, finds religion, and gets saved. It happens all the time. But usually just in sitcoms.

Seriously, there's a lot of FUD to be found, but no one really knows what caused this sound or if it was serious. Some folks got their dealers to give them new cars. That's pretty kick-ass. But I couldn't spend the effort to swing that, unless it had gotten worse. Which it didn't.
I wish my left shoulder would use your car's engine as a role model....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #36
kouhii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Folks,

Man lucky you! Mine got louder as of now when the engine temp is 210F and you can stand about 1 car length away and still hear the clicking sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #37
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Following a PUMA measure raised on my '07 car, the following was released by BMW Australia.

Subject:
S65 - chugging noise, slight hammering, at engine idle

Complaint:
"Periodic "chugging noise" from the engine, with slight mechanical hammering noise characteristic, at engine idle (n = 650 rpm) with an engine oil temperature of over 90 °C.

Due to an unavoidable transmission of the noise through the body, the noise may also be heard (depending on how pronounced it is) in the passenger compartment, predominantly front right.

In addition to its acoustic properties, the "chugging" can also be identified by feeling/touching the oil filter cap.
Vehicles concerned:
E92 S65 / M3
Production period: 01.06.2007 (start of series production) to 27.08.2007
From 28.08.2007 onwards, use of connecting-rod bearing shells with reduced bearing play.
Cause:
The noise, arising in exceptionally rare cases, is caused by an interaction of forces emanating from the
combustion chamber, timing gear and belt drive.
Measure
The "chugging noise" is purely a degradation in comfort. It has no effect on the durability or service life of the engine.

In the event of a customer complaint, please contact the subsidiary responsible."

Last edited by aussiem3; 05-08-2010 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Minor editing
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #38
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

That PUMA sounds kinda like the S54 cases when they first came out. Bascially, "nothing wrong with the engine."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #39
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That PUMA sounds kinda like the S54 cases when they first came out. Bascially, "nothing wrong with the engine."
What does PUMA stand for?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Man lucky you! Mine got louder as of now when the engine temp is 210F and you can stand about 1 car length away and still hear the clicking sound.
Yikes. Yes, please let us know exactly what they replace and if it resolves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #41
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime View Post
I took my car in about a month ago for a non specific noise coming from underneath. I can't reproduce unless the car is in gear, transmission under load @ low rpms. They told me it was the oil level, even though the electronic gizmo said the oil level was fine.

Not bueno.

You'd figure after the S54 bearing fiasco they would have had the S65 so solid you could lob a grenade in there.

Did the bearing part numbers change for MY 2009 or 2010?

And damn I just figured out how old this thread was...
That makes sense as both the 2008's I had exhibited the same noise. My 2009 has zero noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #42
kouhii
Private
Rep

Hello All,

Just spoke with SA, he said the issue was very similar to the E46 M3 issue that was recalled a while back.

He mentioned another M3 came to the dealer with the exact same problem.

I won't be getting my car back until this Friday I think, depends on how long it takes them to take out the bottom part of the engine; which was where the sound was most noticeable. I am not too happy about my first ///M car...
I'll let you guys know if the clicking sound goes away once I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #43
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Hello All,

Just spoke with SA, he said the issue was very similar to the E46 M3 issue that was recalled a while back.

He mentioned another M3 came to the dealer with the exact same problem.

I won't be getting my car back until this Friday I think, depends on how long it takes them to take out the bottom part of the engine; which was where the sound was most noticeable. I am not too happy about my first ///M car...
I'll let you guys know if the clicking sound goes away once I get it back.

Any update kouhii??

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #44
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Following a PUMA measure raised on my '07 car, the following was released by BMW Australia.

Subject:
S65 - chugging noise, slight hammering, at engine idle

Complaint:
"Periodic "chugging noise" from the engine, with slight mechanical hammering noise characteristic, at engine idle (n = 650 rpm) with an engine oil temperature of over 90 °C.

Due to an unavoidable transmission of the noise through the body, the noise may also be heard (depending on how pronounced it is) in the passenger compartment, predominantly front right.

In addition to its acoustic properties, the "chugging" can also be identified by feeling/touching the oil filter cap.
Vehicles concerned:
E92 S65 / M3
Production period: 01.06.2007 (start of series production) to 27.08.2007
From 28.08.2007 onwards, use of connecting-rod bearing shells with reduced bearing play.
Cause:
The noise, arising in exceptionally rare cases, is caused by an interaction of forces emanating from the
combustion chamber, timing gear and belt drive.
Measure
The "chugging noise" is purely a degradation in comfort. It has no effect on the durability or service life of the engine.

In the event of a customer complaint, please contact the subsidiary responsible."

Interesting. Unfortunately that noise description doesn't fit what I and a few others on this thread experienced.
Appreciate 0