BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

I came from a 2005 G35 6Spd and all my previous cars before were stick. Although it took me a few weeks to get used to it, the think the DCT was a great choice. I can chill in traffic, relax on a long drive or blip the M button and go paddle crazy. Actually, you don't have to hit the M button, you can go right from Automatic mode to manual mode just by clicking the paddle up or down.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
trendy26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Love this website!! Really appreciate the responses guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #25
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

I am not qualified to answer the OP's question since I do not have an M3 DCT, but I do have an 08 335 MT and have driven Manuals all my life... I am pretty sure that if my next car is an M3, that I will check the DCT box for a couple of reasons:
1. Faster at the track
2. No mistakes with heel and toeing
3. One more gear
4. Comfort in traffic

I am more and more convinced from the responses of all of you that have made the switch
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Well, you were wrong buddy; the ones who spammed it were DCT sissies who probably don't even know how to drive a manual .
I like to laugh, and so I do laugh when I hear funny things. But that simply was funny because it made no sense whatsoever.

Quote:
I didn't even consider DCT, so I can't comment...
Sure you can - anyone can, its all good. It's just that your post is SPAM by definition.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Contrary to what the M-DCT like to make themselves believe M-DCT is not a manual by any stretch...
My M-DCT doesn't believe that. It told me flat out "I am not a manual transmission". Then it popped open a beer, drank it down, then another, and anther. And then it pissed all over the manual transmission in my 335i sitting next to it. I was like "DAYYUMM"!!! And it was all "YEAHH BOYYYY!!". And the manual tranny could do nothing, the poor thing, since it has no brain and can't think (much less talk, mind you), just a bunch of shift forks.

Nah, I'm just kidding, that never happened. Except the part about the SPAM and such - that happened.

Quote:
The paddles are there to make a request to the computer for the selection of the next gear, much like in tiptronic automatic transmissions. Having a clutch does not automatically make it qualify for a "manual" since there is no manual effort required to engage and disengage the clutch.
Quote:
The term "manual" for transmissions is defined as a transmissions that requires "manual" effort to engage and disengage the clutch on the driver's part with no intervention from the computer.
Nah, that's a bunch of horse poo dude. That's the kind of stuff people say because they just want to hate DCT, because DCT means anyone can drive an M3, and anyone driving an M3 means that the act of driving an M3 can't be used as street cred for being a great driver.

Manual = pick a gear. Manual != push in a pedal. The engine doesn't care if you get to pick the gear via a paddle, a pedal, or by summoning a genie and having it do thy bidding. The engine just wants to be in the power band, and you can keep it there all day long by using the paddles properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #28
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Manual = pick a gear. Manual != push in a pedal. The engine doesn't care if you get to pick the gear via a paddle, a pedal, or by summoning a genie and having it do thy bidding. The engine just wants to be in the power band, and you can keep it there all day long by using the paddles properly.
I completely understand people really loving their M-DCT over 6 speed manual. There is nothing to argue there. I only clarified the difference between an "automatic" and a "manual" transmission.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, if that is what manual means to you that you be able to tug a paddle and make the request to the computer to change the gear for you then there is no such thing as an "automatic transmission" and everything is a "manual" since pretty much all automatics these days from Mazda 3 to Ford Fusion to Lexus RX350 to Mercedes CLS55 come with paddle shifting.

If you misshift in a manual, you blow up the transmission. If you misshift in an automatic, the computer simply turns your request down. As simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Like I mentioned in my previous post, if that is what manual means to you that you be able to tug a paddle and make the request to the computer to change the gear for you then there is no such thing as an "automatic transmission" and everything is a "manual" since pretty much all automatics these days from Mazda 3 to Ford Fusion to Lexus RX350 to Mercedes CLS55 come with paddle shifting.

If you misshift in a manual, you blow up the transmission. If you misshift in an automatic, the computer simply turns your request down. As simple as that.
Look, you're just arguing semantics.

The words automatic transmission has become synonymous with a torque converter based transmission.

Manual transmissions have become synonymous with clutch based transmissions.

In other words, when one refers to an automatic transmission, one is really referring to torque converter based, unresponsive slush boxes.

Obviously, the DCT is not torque converter based, and your attempt to lump it together with automatic transmissions is just hating and disingenuous.
      09-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #30
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
I completely understand people really loving their M-DCT over 6 speed manual. There is nothing to argue there. I only clarified the difference between an "automatic" and a "manual" transmission.

I understand you've got a hard-on for manual transmissions, but you need to take it easy. You latched onto / misinterpreted one piece of what someone said just to speak your peace. The term "manual" is used in reference to DCT just to discern the fact that it functions as an automatically operated manual transmission (i.e. it's mechanically different than traditional automatics). The reality is that no DCT drivers understand their transmission to be a manual, so your point was just unnecessary spam. Everytime there's a DCT thread, the 6MT drivers line up to slam their ==D on the table and try to belittle DCT drivers.

The intended audience of this thread is drivers that went from a manual trans in previous cars to a DCT in the M. And so far the only negative comments about DCT have come from 6MT guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Another life long MT driver here. I originally had my heart set on an MT but decided on the DCT for several reasons. It was the hardest decision to make regarding my purchase. In the end though, no regrets, in fact i couldnt be happier. I still love driving MT's and will eventually pick up another car with an MT but for the M3, the DCT is a perfect match.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #32
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i have smg right now, but i think i will go back to 6mt on my next car. you are much more flexible on 6mt such as clutch out, give it some rev, clutch in while crusing around town. you can do almost the same on smg and dct, but it is not as smooth.

plus my left foot is not being used on long drive, i feel it needs some excercise to balance it out.

however, the thing about smg/dct is that you can hop in/out of traffic much quicker than say in a 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #33
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I am not qualified to answer the OP's question since I do not have an M3 DCT, but I do have an 08 335 MT and have driven Manuals all my life... I am pretty sure that if my next car is an M3, that I will check the DCT box for a couple of reasons:
1. Faster at the track
2. No mistakes with heel and toeing
3. One more gear
4. Comfort in traffic

I am more and more convinced from the responses of all of you that have made the switch
+1

I recently had the opportunity to drive an E92 M3 with DCT and it easily wins my vote if (when?) i get one. the 4 points ramos brought up are the main reasons i was sold on it...but i'm kind of a performance nazi. i don't fully understand the point of getting a performance car and not getting the best performing options to go with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #34
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Because the 6MT in the M3 seemed rubbery and imprecise with long throws, and the clutch pedal seemed soft and vague, I can honestly say that I do not regret getting the DCT.

If the 6MT was better, I might change my mind, but I doubt it.

The DCT is spectacular at moderate and high speeds, but at low speeds, not so much. The lag issue is real (I have noticed it twice since break-in) and so far, to me at least, seems unpredictable. Its definitely not a big problem, but it does prevent me from thinking that the DCT is perfect. Obviously, with a 6MT, you are constantly in control, so unexpected lag at slow speeds is never a problem.

I also thought that choosing DCT was the hardest decision I had to make about my e92. I do not regret it.
      09-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

i have always had 6speed cars...this is my first not stick...love the dct..so quick in the canyons...and track...smooth..althought not a fan of "D" or auto mode. dont regret it...althought when i had porsche i had choice between manual or pdk and got 6 speed...love porsceh gearbox ..not a fan of bmw gearbox
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #36
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Lifelong MT driver here who originally ordered DCT, but who heard the dreaded "lag" word thrown around one time too many during the 4-month wait and changed his order to 6MT last minute. That no longer seems to be an issue now though.

As hard as this decision may seem, the beauty is that it's impossible to pick the wrong one. If you pick the DCT, will you have moments where you catch yourself missing shifting a manual? Probably, because it's an itch that never really goes away, but then you will feel how DCT transforms the M3 into a ferocious monster ripping from 0-100 or downshifting from 6th to 2nd on the highway, and you will forget all about the 6MT. If you pick the DCT, will you be a little jealous of the performance advantage of the DCT? Probably, because face it, we all want to go faster, but then you'll accelerate onto an onramp and experience the feeling of slamming the shifter into 2nd gear at redline or pulling off that one in five perfectly executed heel-toe downshifts before entering a sharp turn and you will forget all about the DCT.

All you can do is drive both and go with your gut. And listen to all of the good advice in this thread.

Last edited by TLud; 09-04-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #37
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
I understand what you're saying. I had a 330i ZPP with Auto for a couple of years, and I think I might have kept it longer if it had been a manual. Boring! However, the DCT is miles away from a steptronic transmission. You will never shift as fast with an auto or a manual as you can with DCT, and the important thing is you decide when to shift--no waiting around for the torque converter to figure out what you just asked it to do.
I don't doubt the quickness of the DCT over Step, thats not my issue. I just miss the clutch petal and rowing my own gears. The DCT to me drives like a very fast shifting auto. Probably the best auto along with the PDK, yet to me still an auto trans...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #38
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Just out of curiosity, and sorry to hijack the thread, but how often do you guys drive in D mode/S mode? At first I drove a lot in D, but now I am 100% S.

BTW, what do you guys normally drive in ie D2, D3, S4 etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #39
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

One downside to DCT is the combination of an aftermarket exhaust and the cruising RPM. DCT likes to keep the RPMs below 2K if possible. Most, if not all, aftermarket exhaust will drone at this RPM. Hell, even the stock exhaust has drone in this RPM.

Solution is to use DCT in manual mode and keep the RPM about 2.5K.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #40
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had a manual E92 and now a DCT M3. I feel that the DCT really suits the nature of the M3 better as a wonderful all-around sports car. But, do know that the DCT is not perfect... at lower speeds it could be jerky, but at higher speeds it works brilliantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #41
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Just out of curiosity, and sorry to hijack the thread, but how often do you guys drive in D mode/S mode? At first I drove a lot in D, but now I am 100% S.

100% S. I've never had it in auto mode.
      09-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #42
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
After the recent software update I have settled on S4 and D5.
S4 for 99% of the time and D5 for approaching a roundabout (or similar) when I'm too lazy to shift down for myself (back to the paddles afterwards).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #43
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But you just made a bunch of stuff up though. A manual shift is one that was chosen by driver operation - period. For example, a (true) sequential manual transmission - as found in many, many motorcycles - is called that because you have to shift it. There is no auto mode. That's why the originators of that transmission called it a manual transmission. You don't just hit the gas pedal and drive. You have to do more - you have to select the gear you want.

Oh, and yes, BMW (and others) definitely butchered that term when they chose to call their series of computer controlled manual transmissions "SMG". That's BS too. As far as I am concerned a transmission that can optionally be shifted automatically for you is an automatic transmission. Some would call it an "auto-manual", to denote the presence of both auto and manual control. And that's fine too - sure. But the flip-side to that is that if a transmission can be shifted under driver control then it absolutely has a "manual mode". This goes for DCT, planetary transmissions with a torque converter or anything else that will do the shifting for you. In every case such as these, very clearly, the word "manual" has absolutely nothing to do with how the shift is done. It just means the driver can do it.

And furthermore, if someone wanted to make a planetary transmission that cannot shift for you - that's a manual transmission. Or, if someone wanted to make a transmission with a clutch and clutch pedal that had some method of shifting for you - pushing in the clutch and moving the stick through the gate and all - that's an automatic transmission.

Quote:
Not true obviously. I've made that clear above.

Quote:
So if someone designs a DCT or other type of transmission that doesn't check RPM before allowing a shift, that's automatically a manual transmission? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #44
shiblanor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3 JetBlk DCT

I bought the DCT because i was intrigued by the high tech nature of the thing, the various shift programs, launch control, etc. No test drives of either 6sp or DCT for me since these cars were scarce when i ordered mine...hadn't owned an automatic since i was in high school driving my dad's car, but decided to go for it anyway.

The DCT is a little schizophrenic. It's at it's best when you're driving hard, ripping thru the gears, rpms up. Amazingly fast shifts up or down, tho there is the smallest of delays between when you flick the paddle and when the shift occurs if we're splitting hairs. It's at it's worst ironically in stop and go driving (when most people feel an automatic is most convenient). In either manual or auto mode, the transmission seems to often be very slow to understand what you want when slowing down from 4th or 3rd and then accelerating before coming to a full stop from 2nd. It seems to go into a mode where it's guessed you're going to stop, so it puts you into second and gets ready to do a smooth clutch engagement. Instead in this situation you want a pretty quick one since you're probably trying to zip into gap in traffic at an intersection or leaving a driveway, etc. If you step on the pedal in a moderate way, you can really feel the transmission slipping the clutch to smoothly engage 2nd. Ugh. S6 or manually shifting to 2nd yourself makes no difference here. But you can control the speed of the engagement to a degree...press more aggressively on the accelerator, and it'll drop faster. Unfortunately there's still a bit of recognition time whle you're pressing even further, so in the end you get a quick clutch drop, but usually a bit of a surge/head snap too since you were aggressively applying a second or so of accelerator while the DCT was trying to understand what you want. 3000 miles of driving it, and i still can't really figure the best way to deal with this situation. Not sure if any of this makes sense, but it's certainly times like that when you long for the simplicity of being able to give it a bit more gas than usual and a swift release of the clutch pedal on your own.

It's a love/annoy kind of relationship. When it's good, it's great. Oh and if you do want full auto mode, it's probably the smartest auto i've driven when it's in D4 or 5 (tho it starts to become like how i remember automatics to be in the lower shift programs). If you do a lot of stop/go driving in town however, i'm pretty sure you'll run into situations where it's logic behaves worse than a conventional slush box. Faster in a drag race or on the track than a manual? i would imagine so, especially if you're not a pro with a clutch. But in either case racing is the minority of the time for most of us. Do i regret going DCT? Not most of the time, but i do often feel it was an expensive option for something that has flaws that i experience almost every time i drive it.
Appreciate 0