BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

DIY: Easily adjust rear coilovers

Hey guys. It's no secret that adjusting the rears are a PITA. The carriers tend to spin with the collar and there is little room to use a clamp to hold it so I have a better solution so no tools (other than the spanner wrench) are ever required.

If you've already installed your springs like me only to realize the PITA to adjust them, do the following:

- Wedge a flat blade screwdriver between the threaded carrier and the car. You may need to tap lightly a few times with a small hammer to get the screwdriver in far enough. See image below:
- This should create a small gap big enough to dab a bit of "KwikWeld" (sets faster than JB Weld). You don't need a ton. I used about the size of a dime.
- Using a piece or soda box cardboard to apply the glue, I only put it on the area I could get to which was basically 1/8 of the full carrier. (CAREFUL not to get any on the threads!!)
- Yank out the screwdriver and wipe off/smooth over any extra that squeezes out

Allow an hour to dry and never worry about clamps again!

NOTE: This, in no way, makes uninstall any harder. Since you are only using JB weld on an 1/8th of the full surface, they still easily pull out with a wiggle.

Name:  Rear Coils.jpg
Views: 18247
Size:  122.5 KB

Last edited by rocket_science; 11-06-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
m3less
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 AY M4

Kind of interesting but I don't understand the cardboard box part? Can u post pix?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

I dont understand lol, btw, are m3 rears similar to 335i rears? I figured a simpler way to lower/raise the rear coils by just removing the lower nut on the shock, having a heavy person step ontop on the rear tire while the car is in the air.. and the sping will be free, and can be raised removed or whatever you want, this saves a lot of time and most fo the pain in the butt that it is to lower/raise the rears..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3less View Post
Kind of interesting but I don't understand the cardboard box part? Can u post pix?
Cardboard Box, popsicle stick, whatever... just something thin and disposable to apply the JB Weld between the body and the Spring seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
I dont understand lol, btw, are m3 rears similar to 335i rears? I figured a simpler way to lower/raise the rear coils by just removing the lower nut on the shock, having a heavy person step ontop on the rear tire while the car is in the air.. and the sping will be free, and can be raised removed or whatever you want, this saves a lot of time and most fo the pain in the butt that it is to lower/raise the rears..
I believe they are similar but if you do as I explained above, you don't have to remove the lower nut or anything. Just lift the car and adjust the coils.

This is so simple... I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining it but obviously not enough for all to understand. I'll post some pictures next time I have the car lifted.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
I believe they are similar but if you do as I explained above, you don't have to remove the lower nut or anything. Just lift the car and adjust the coils.

This is so simple... I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining it but obviously not enough for all to understand. I'll post some pictures next time I have the car lifted.
kk got it! yeah pics would help too. these tips and tricks save a hell of a lot of time and labor.
      12-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Great DIY. My ohlins have a rubber pad between the carrier and car body but the carrier still just spins with the collar.

Wish they would just cut grooves into the carrier so you could hold it with a spanner wrench..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip. So much easier then having to loosen the whole suspension.

Instagram: @jonji_pas
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Just wanted to post some more pictures here. I did this today and I'll try and see if it works tomorrow after it cures.

Used 2 screwdrivers to wedge in. I found it worked much better with 2 so I didn't have to jam one in there so hard.

Here is the amount of space I was left to work with.

Mixed the JW Kwik Weld. Used about a dime size blob for each part.

Put it on top of the collar. And removed the screwdriver.

After the excess is wiped up. You can barely tell its there.

Done!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

You're using JB weld for a metal-to-rubberized undercoating connection. I don't think this would be any more effective than a dab of siliconized caulk, like the type used to fasten granite counter tops to cabinets. Something to consider, but I've also never dealt with this type of issue.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
You're using JB weld for a metal-to-rubberized undercoating connection. I don't think this would be any more effective than a dab of siliconized caulk, like the type used to fasten granite counter tops to cabinets. Something to consider, but I've also never dealt with this type of issue.
You could be right. All suggestions are welcome. I just know that JB Weld worked well for me in this circumstance as it has for most other things I've used it for.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
Not really sure. I know on the driver side the JB weld held fine but the passenger side it broke loose. I'll try it again and clean it better this time
Appreciate 0