BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #23
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Yep, I think Automobile had it pegged...

Jason
      09-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
good to read those quick comments. Sounds like its going to be one hell of a car! For me though that last comment hit the nail on the head. For an everyday street driven car I dont want to have to rev to 8000rpms and thrash the living daylights out of my car to really see it scream. 335 is a better choice for this gearhead.
If you are just looking for a reason not to have to spend the money for an M3, well, then there will always be some review out there that provides you with that feeling. So congratulations for finding it.

Just don't make the mistake of actually test driving one. My E46 M3 does not require redline shifts to be fast (though I do do it frequently, simply because its tons of fun), so there's no way the E92 will be any worse. You will not drive the M3 and think "yep, its too slow, glad I got the 335i". You may drive it and think "wow, its awesome, but I can't justify the extra 20k", which is fine of course - that's a perfectly legitimate reason to go 335i.

Oh, and yes, I redline the 335i every time I drive it too.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #25
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
with reviews and comments like this ... u want one!!! ... i def want one now!!!! .. oh n i also get carried away with the 335i ... have to do 200km/h plus at least once in my drive

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #26
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Eh, I definitely learned to take such reviews with a pound of salt.

When the CSL came out, some complained it was too brutal for no big performance gains (1-2 seconds quicker around a small track) and others raved it was the best car BMW had produced in a long time.

I'll wait for my own test drive, and only use these reviews to form a general impression. I'm not sure I'd put a deposit down without a test drive though...

(Heck if I had only listened to the bad reviews about the X3 Sport Package, my wife would have missed on a great vehicle. With Sport Package of course. ).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Eh, I definitely learned to take such reviews with a pound of salt.

When the CSL came out, some complained it was too brutal for no big performance gains (1-2 seconds quicker around a small track) and others raved it was the best car BMW had produced in a long time.

I'll wait for my own test drive, and only use these reviews to form a general impression. I'm not sure I'd put a deposit down without a test drive though...

(Heck if I had only listened to the bad reviews about the X3 Sport Package, my wife would have missed on a great vehicle. With Sport Package of course. ).

Very sensible perspective. Reviews shouldn't be taken as seriously as they are. Much of what people enjoy/dislike about automobiles is entirely subjective. People complained about the E46 M3; I love everything about my E46 ///M3.....from its frenetic/raw nature........to its stiff suspension. I've found that 99% of the things that reviewers complain about (..i.e..IDrive) don't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #28
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

to perform the way it did with the ilk it was tested against, this is a very impressive review.... especially when the reviewers are as reputable as top gear.

i'd like to see the entire review though.
- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #29
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
to perform the way it did with the ilk it was tested against,...]
I salute you for the use of this word.
      09-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #30
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Very sensible perspective. Reviews shouldn't be taken as seriously as they are. Much of what people enjoy/dislike about automobiles is entirely subjective. People complained about the E46 M3; I love everything about my E46 ///M3.....from its frenetic/raw nature........to its stiff suspension. I've found that 99% of the things that reviewers complain about (..i.e..IDrive) don't bother me at all.
The more reviews I read, the more convinced I become that the benchmarks for all of these subjective decisions are too widely varied among reviewers to take some comments as meaningful.

EDIT: See Paul Horrell's comment in OP. Is that not feel?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #31
JEllis
Major General
Rep

^ Yep, sounds like you are seeing the light and realizing that auto journalists are just as biased as we are, and state subjective opinions just like we do.

Jason
      09-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #32
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
^ Yep, sounds like you are seeing the light and realizing that auto journalists are just as biased as we are, and state subjective opinions just like we do.

Jason
It's a bit different than bias, it's more like they all have sticks of varying lengths that they each call a meter. No standardization.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #33
JEllis
Major General
Rep

^ true ture

But journalists are biased.... Jeremy Clarkson comes to mind...

Jason
      09-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #34
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
But journalists are biased.... Jeremy Clarkson comes to mind...
The only thing that comes to mind when I see him is "buffoon". I don't mean this in a disparaging way, he is very entertaining at times but most times emphasizes the show aspect of it. He reviews the emotional aspects more - and sometimes pushes the conclusions to grotesque exaggerations.

The reviews I trust more for performance automobiles come from Tiff Nedell. Maybe because he used to race cars for a living, and can push them in ways I can only dream about.

But even then, it's my own impression that really counts in the end. And when all is said and done, they're just hunks of metal - I attach no emotional aspect to my cars other than the enjoyable moments they offer. Being so passionate about a particular car, to me, is similar to worshipping my Circulon pan because I can cook the best omelettes in it.

(I'm exaggerating a little bit, like Clarkson. )
Appreciate 0