BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

03-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #89
Munich_Menace
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M 3

^ Here's the official Pecking Order:
1) Japanese Cars
2) Euro Cars
3) Korean Cars
4) Chinese Cars
5) Misc Manufacturers
6) Amerikan Cars

Good nyt
      03-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #90
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich_Menace View Post
1) Japanese Cars
2) Euro Cars
3) Korean Cars
4) Chinese Cars
5) Misc Manufacturers
6) Amerikan Cars

Good nyt

ok yea youre an idiot

sorry to be rude but really...you are
      03-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #91
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

G8 is nice & a big step up for GM. I still wouldnt buy one so I dont see it as competition. The car is fast in a straight line but unfortunately I have to turn the wheel to get where I'm going. The 335 with sport suspension can hit the apex of a corner consistently on a track. You may get lucky on a corner with the G8 but it wont be consistent. It is fast off the line though.

There will be a lot of buyers for the price. Since value is a major selling point of the car I wonder what the depreciation, true market value and true cost to own will be on the car. Just because a car is cheap to begin with doesnt mean it is the best value. No doubt it will beat a 335 since it costs so much less but that doesnt mean it is a good buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
proper english is your friend!

also is you C button broken or something?
Cut the guy some slack. He's not from an English speaking country. You understood what he was conveying. How is your German? Is it absolutely perfect with no spelling mistakes? Travel out of the US once in a while - to non-english speaking countries - and you wont be so quick to judge others for minor grammatical errors.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #92
cooldude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

this image in your sig which movie is this ?

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #93
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post

Nuff said...
sure the Saleen S7 might be fast and the zo6 might keep up with a F430 but both of these cars don't work on the road they are just track cars. In fact even hundyai has very good rally cars for the track
On the other hand the G8 is a great car since its not american its auzzy. I preferr the full austrilian Monora VXR 8 though since that ones looks better and has 415 horsepower
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #94
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
G8 is nice & a big step up for GM. I still wouldnt buy one so I dont see it as competition. The car is fast in a straight line but unfortunately I have to turn the wheel to get where I'm going. The 335 with sport suspension can hit the apex of a corner consistently on a track. You may get lucky on a corner with the G8 but it wont be consistent. It is fast off the line though.

There will be a lot of buyers for the price. Since value is a major selling point of the car I wonder what the depreciation, true market value and true cost to own will be on the car. Just because a car is cheap to begin with doesnt mean it is the best value. No doubt it will beat a 335 since it costs so much less but that doesnt mean it is a good buy.Cut the guy some slack. He's not from an English speaking country. You understood what he was conveying. How is your German? Is it absolutely perfect with no spelling mistakes? Travel out of the US once in a while - to non-english speaking countries - and you wont be so quick to judge others for minor grammatical errors.

my german is perfect thank you...who asked you anyways
      03-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #95
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
this image in your sig which movie is this ?

superbad
      03-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #96
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
sure the Saleen S7 might be fast and the zo6 might keep up with a F430 but both of these cars don't work on the road they are just track cars.
unless you've driven them both how do you know that? Quit watching so much Jeremy Clarkson. Do they work on the crappy streets of London, no. Are they like driving a Lexus on a US street, no. But they don't do too bad on US streets that are maintained. Yes, I have had the opportunity to drive them both to know that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #97
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
sure the Saleen S7 might be fast and the zo6 might keep up with a F430
A ZO6 keeping up with a F430??? Please....the ZO6 slaughters it.
      03-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #98
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
To me, it's not all about raw horsepower and straightline numbers. I'm sure there are numerous cars that can beat a 335. However, where BMW's in general shine is how they are engineered to balance power and handling with finesse. It's all in the engineering and what makes a BMW a BMW.

On an interesting side note, at the NY International Auto Show, they had a few G8's on the floor, and when I was checking it out (mid afternoon) there were hardly any people looking at them. On the other hand, when I went over to the BMW area, the place was mobbed. It's funny, every time I go to an auto show and walk into the BMW section, I feel like I'm on a pilgrimage home. I think I have a problem.

03-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #99
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
It's all in the engineering and what makes a BMW a BMW.
well that and multiple trips to the service department.....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #100
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Too bad it's a Pontiac.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #101
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
It's another econobox boat with a big engine, looks as boring and bland as any other Pontiac produced in the last 2 decades. It looks like they only come with a slushbox also.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #102
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
It's another econobox boat with a big engine, looks as boring and bland as any other Pontiac produced in the last 2 decades. It looks like they only come with a slushbox also.
Add to the list people who are commenting and bashing a car without even driving it. You can't comment on its ride if you never driven it. It makes you look like an ignorant blind fanboy( which you maybe). And how is it an econobox? It's 6" longer then the 550i.

Quote:
Too bad it's a Pontiac
Too bad you're just an image snob.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #103
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

thread gone wild
      03-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #104
eggbone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe E92

Thumbs down

Pontiac vs. Bimmer.....No overall comparison..
Comparing Caviar to duck eggs
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #105
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

oh for the love of God, its a fucking sedan that runs a high 12, low 13 1/4. Our cars do this too....thats all the OP was trying to say. Get over yourselves, shit.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #106
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbone View Post
Pontiac vs. Bimmer.....No overall comparison..
Comparing Caviar to duck eggs
Comparing a company that made 4.8 billions to a company that lost 39 billion? Are you kidding me? GM should pack its bags and go home, but wait, who's going to make all the rental cars then?

There's a lot of brand loyalty and national pride involved whenever the American Automobile Industry is mentioned, but if you take a cold, hard, look at the facts of the industry, you'll realize that it's hemorrhaging like crazy. Every time GM or Ford produce an automobile, they lose money on it because of pension, healthcare, etc. Plus, their design are just lacking. They are trying to dig into the old drawings to look for inspiration for new design. Look at what happened the 'stang and the new Camaro. It's like their design capabilities have been drained.
      03-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #107
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
I like it a lot and respect it for what you get for your money. Much more style than the GTO with same performance. I don't see it as "competition". If your basing that off performance only, than an SRT Neon is competition as well. The BMW competes against A4/A5/IS/C-Class/G etc. Those cars perform well AND have fit and finish to match. Having owned a Pontiac in the past, I hope they really really put a lot more effort into the interior. I've read they have but have not sat in a new pontiac in 12 years (had a 96 Grand Am).

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #108
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Comparing a company that made 4.8 billions to a company that lost 39 billion? Are you kidding me? GM should pack its bags and go home, but wait, who's going to make all the rental cars then?

There's a lot of brand loyalty and national pride involved whenever the American Automobile Industry is mentioned, but if you take a cold, hard, look at the facts of the industry, you'll realize that it's hemorrhaging like crazy. Every time GM or Ford produce an automobile, they lose money on it because of pension, healthcare, etc. Plus, their design are just lacking. They are trying to dig into the old drawings to look for inspiration for new design. Look at what happened the 'stang and the new Camaro. It's like their design capabilities have been drained.
And if you knew anything behind those numbers, you would realize that the $39 billion loss was caused by a freak tax issue. The loss would of been in the millions without it. GM is making money outside of NA. It's NA that is dragging the company down.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #109
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich_Menace View Post
1) Japanese Cars
2) Euro Cars
3) Korean Cars
4) Chinese Cars
5) Misc Manufacturers
6) Amerikan Cars

Good nyt
hey...1 and 2 are switched.

New list!

1) Euro Cars
2) Japanese Cars
3) American Cars
4) Korean Cars
5) Misc Manufacturers
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #110
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
And if you knew anything behind those numbers, you would realize that the $39 billion loss was caused by a freak tax issue. The loss would of been in the millions without it. GM is making money outside of NA. It's NA that is dragging the company down.
As you said, the US domestic market is weighing GM down..... Why? They are bringing Australian vehicles here and branding them as domestics, why?