BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly and carefully

Problems with alignment after spring install?

I'm thinking of getting springs installed on my M3 but I'm a little hesitant due to the last time i did:

I installed H&R lowering springs on my old car (C63) and afterwards the alignment was off. I went to get the alignment done, and the car still pulled to the right. The dealer told me it was a "radial pull" from the tires, but that sounded like b/s to me, since I had the tires on before the lowering springs, and there were no problems. I never was able to get that straightened out and it annoyed the hell out of me.

So, do any of you have alignment issues on your M3's after installing springs? Also, for any SoCal residents, what is the best shop to get this done?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

You should always get your alignment re-done after having springs installed. Wait a week or so for the suspension to settle.

I would strongly recommend Darin @ West End Alignment in Gardena. I know that's a long way from San Diego, but it's worth it. He does street and race alignments for cars from all across the west. People bring their cars to him from SF, Phoenix, Vegas, etc.

I originally had my alignment done at another shop and I was not happy with the the way it felt, plus the steering wheel was off center. So I took my car to Darin, he straightened it out very quickly.
      03-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Once I put my springs on I ran it for a couple of weeks and then went to get the alignment done. It was a little off but it was definitely worth doing. Any time you have work on your suspension you should always get your alignment checked.
      03-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

As already mentioned, an alignment should be done a min. of one week after your spring install.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly and carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
You should always get your alignment re-done after having springs installed. Wait a week or so for the suspension to settle.

I would strongly recommend Darin @ West End Alignment in Gardena. I know that's a long way from San Diego, but it's worth it. He does street and race alignments for cars from all across the west. People bring their cars to him from SF, Phoenix, Vegas, etc.

I originally had my alignment done at another shop and I was not happy with the the way it felt, plus the steering wheel was off center. So I took my car to Darin, he straightened it out very quickly.
Thanks, I'll definitely take my car to him. Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Regarding my previous experience, I had the alignment done a week after spring install at the dealer, but the car was STILL pulling. I even went back and they did it again, but to no avail. That's what I want to avoid this time around.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Most dealerships just know how to use a machine that tells them it's right when it really isn't. The best alignment guys do this stuff by instinct, it's pretty amazing.
      03-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Jared@ACGsandiego
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since your in San Diego, I would suggest Clarence Brown or True line... well that is until we get our new Hunter Alignment rack installed
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@ACGsandiego View Post
Since your in San Diego, I would suggest Clarence Brown or True line... well that is until we get our new Hunter Alignment rack installed
Did you guys move yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Jared@ACGsandiego
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Did you guys move yet?
May 1st

dyno will be installed mid june! Can't wait
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
Dontbethatguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Most dealerships just know how to use a machine that tells them it's right when it really isn't. The best alignment guys do this stuff by instinct, it's pretty amazing.
Do they feel it in their loins when it's perfect or what? Just curious...
      04-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
Do they feel it in their loins when it's perfect or what? Just curious...
Well in that case it'll typically hang more to the right.
Appreciate 0