BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

BPM

09-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Circuit of The Americas Sept 20-22?

I'm thinking of going to Circuit of The Americas for the ALMS and World Endurance Championship races in two weeks (September 20-22). The Audi R18 e-tron quattro will be there and the DeltaWing coupe will be making its debut, as well. And there will be lots of GT cars, of course.

All tickets are the same price - $79 ($87.94 with fees) for a 3-day pass. And it looks like the BMW CCA Tejas Chapter is hosting a BMW Car Corral ($139).

I'll probably do the BMW Car Corral, but I'm not sure if I'll get to select my seat. If I have a choice, where is the best place to watch the action? The reserved seating areas are in the Main Grandstand, at Turn 1 and at Turn 15. From the map below, it looks like Turn 15 would be the best because it should offer a pretty good view of Turns 12-15. I'd especially love to hear opinions of those who have been there. Reserved seats also have full access to the General Admission areas, so there's no point in buying a General Admission ticket.

Here are a few more questions:
  1. What are some good General Admission locations for viewing the action?
  2. Does anyone know where I might be able to find discounted tickets?
  3. Is it worth it to buy a Car Corral ticket? It seems like a pretty good deal. For $60 more than a regular ticket, you get parking included that is presumably safer than general parking (which costs $45). The other intangible benefits, like being able to meet and spend time with other BMW enthusiasts, should more than cover the remaining $15 difference.The Tejas Chapter site also mentions "a select number of 'hot laps' on the circuit itself for purchasers of the package." I'm not sure what exactly that means, but even at low speed, it would be cool to lap the track.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

1) Turn 15 is the best place on the track for viewing, the higher up the better. The sight line is amazing. Peter Wahl, managing partner of the German engineering firm Tilke GmbH (they designed the track) co-signs on that.
http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...1-rac-1/nRnhY/

Having sat @ Turn 4 for the USGP last year, and Turn 15 for Grand Am as well as V8 supercars, I agree. For GA, Turn 11 is pretty good.

2) Austin.craigslist.org

3) My friends and I car-corraled for the Grand Am races. The only bad thing is there were only a certain number of slots available for the laps last time, so they had to split them up, and one of the times was early on Sunday morning, which wasn't too spiffy as the races were done on Saturday (kinda a far drive to go back to the track unless you live in S. ATX). So make sure you ask if there are slots left. Laps were done at low speed, not hot lapping *lol*. We did get to park in a little lot that had nothing but BMWs, which was cool, as well. It was very close to the entrance. The $15 parking ticket difference was worth it.

On another note, were you @ the 4 corners meet? I went, and met someone and his wife w/a 1M local to me, very nice people.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-07-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
1) Turn 15 is the best place on the track for viewing, the higher up the better. The sight line is amazing. Peter Wahl, managing partner of the German engineering firm Tilke GmbH (they designed the track) co-signs on that.
http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...1-rac-1/nRnhY/

Having sat @ Turn 4 for the USGP last year, and Turn 15 for Grand Am as well as V8 supercars, I agree. For GA, Turn 11 is pretty good.

2) Austin.craigslist.org

3) My friends and I car-corraled for the Grand Am races. The only bad thing is there were only a certain number of slots available for the laps last time, so they had to split them up, and one of the times was early on Sunday morning, which wasn't too spiffy as the races were done on Saturday (kinda a far drive to go back to the track unless you live in S. ATX). So make sure you ask if there are slots left. Laps were done at low speed, not hot lapping *lol*. We did get to park in a little lot that had nothing but BMWs, which was cool, as well. It was very close to the entrance. The $15 parking ticket difference was worth it.

On another note, were you @ the 4 corners meet? I went, and met someone and his wife w/a 1M local to me, very nice people.
Great info. Thanks for this!

I wasn't at the 4 corners meet. I believe that was forum member Texas F1. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...0#post14498720
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
[*]Does anyone know where I might be able to find discounted tickets?

Here: http://local.amazon.com/austin/B00EP...20_32493600_md

What's awesome?

Quote:
All tickets are located in Turn 15 Grandstand Seats
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote: