BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Get the Shelby
Yes 26 68.42%
No 12 31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

10-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #45
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

Any of the new v8 mustangs are beasts. The Shelby is just friggin' insane.

DEUCES 335is!!!

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #46
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Maybe it's old stigma, but i have a hard time spending that kind of coin on a mustang. Not saying it's not as good as an M3, as i've never driven the GT500. But for some reason, not taking this forum into account, a mustang seems a little juvenile next to an M3. This is only based on my experience around town, seeing who's driving mustangs and who's driving M3s. Regardless, probably not worth taking that into account for OPs decision.

All other things aside, I would always choose a GT500 over a 335 for a fun car to drive.
I think you summed it up nicely...

Back when I bought my 335I I went though the same decision, wait for the Shelby GT500 to come out and pay $10K premium for the privilege of owning one of the first or go a new route of a BMW. I am a long time Ford owner, bough and sold a number of mustangs over the years and enjoyed all the fun with them.

After all said, I do not regret the 335I over the GT500. What you can do in a BMW which does not work well in a GT500 is taking your spouse our to a nice diner at a nice place and pulling up in front of the place and not looking like you a person trying to relive your past youth. With the BMW you have the power and performance when you need it, but is can be a comfortable ride after a hard day of work.

If I had the garage space and money I would still by a GT500 to play with on the weekend. Today my son has 2003 GT which he is working to pump up the performance, it fun to drive but after driving it I can not get out of it fast of it enough since you are fighting the car the entire time you drive it. You can also hear it coming blocks away. Which is not an issue since I say you know you're old when you can not enjoy a good exhaust note.

Last edited by Maestro; 10-17-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

All valid points nicely articulated. This is why I asked the question here.

As far as the wife goes if I get the Shelby I will be making the following sign for her and attaching it inside.

Get in.
Shut up.
And hold on.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #48
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Personally, no.

I'm willing to give up some speed for looks and comfort.
Maybe it's just me personally, but I've just never been a fan of muscle cars, regardless of how competent they are in a straight line (or more recently even on a track). Every review of high end mustangs always end with... well, when you get in and out, it still feels like the $20k rental car...

I know you are talking about selling a 335is and not an M3, but I've always heard this:
The Mustang is a BEAST... the M3 is a similar beast, but wearing an Armani (or insert your favorite high end luxury fashion brand here) suit. If you have the money, which would you rather? Some love the brutishness of the stang, but I would pick the BMW all day every day.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #49
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ I respect your opinion.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Personally, no.

I'm willing to give up some speed for looks and comfort.
Maybe it's just me personally, but I've just never been a fan of muscle cars, regardless of how competent they are in a straight line (or more recently even on a track). Every review of high end mustangs always end with... well, when you get in and out, it still feels like the $20k rental car...

I know you are talking about selling a 335is and not an M3, but I've always heard this:
The Mustang is a BEAST... the M3 is a similar beast, but wearing an Armani (or insert your favorite high end luxury fashion brand here) suit. If you have the money, which would you rather? Some love the brutishness of the stang, but I would pick the BMW all day every day.
I would have to respectfully disagree. Two totally different cars for totally different purposes. Not similar at all.

We're also talking about a Shelby GT500, not a typical Mustang. It's the highest end of the Mustang spectrum you can get. Fully loaded, it's far from a $20k rental car inside. Have you ever been in one? And for a weekend toy to play around on the streets (legally of course, lol), I'd take the GT500 all day every day, because I'd get tired of getting owned in my M3.
      10-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #51
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree. Two totally different cars for totally different purposes. Not similar at all.

We're also talking about a Shelby GT500, not a typical Mustang. It's the highest end of the Mustang spectrum you can get. Fully loaded, it's far from a $20k rental car inside. Have you ever been in one? And for a weekend toy to play around on the streets (legally of course, lol), I'd take the GT500 all day every day, because I'd get tired of getting owned in my M3.
I definitely see your point. It is probably because I am partial to european cars, and just have never loved american muscle. I have never been in one, that is why I was paraphrasing reviews I had seen. The interiors are nice, but not 'as nice' and the one thing I always here is (while definitely a minute detail), just the 'closing of the door' makes the car sound/feel cheap. Yes, the engine is ridiculous, and the interior is wrapped up in nice materials, but underneath it all, it still is that rental mustang just supped up.

I will admit, money not being an issue, a GT500 would be an AMAZING weekend monster... but as a daily, I will never get one.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #52
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

Did not read the whole thread, but I would definitely consider a GT500 over a 335is for a weekend car. The Shelby would be terrible as a DD but it's a blast to drive and certainly an experience worth having. However, the fit, finish, and interior appointments are still pretty poor so if you are looking for a showpiece more than a performer I would avoid. The mustang is also pretty juvenile, but that's also part of it's charm.

IMO, the new Stingray is better than both of them but I have still yet to drive one and confirm.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I definitely see your point. It is probably because I am partial to european cars, and just have never loved american muscle. I have never been in one, that is why I was paraphrasing reviews I had seen. The interiors are nice, but not 'as nice' and the one thing I always here is (while definitely a minute detail), just the 'closing of the door' makes the car sound/feel cheap. Yes, the engine is ridiculous, and the interior is wrapped up in nice materials, but underneath it all, it still is that rental mustang just supped up.

I will admit, money not being an issue, a GT500 would be an AMAZING weekend monster... but as a daily, I will never get one.
Agreed with the bolded part. This thing wouldn't be a great daily IMO.

Ford has come a long way from the cheapness of the late 90's and early 2000's, at least to me they have. I think if you were to try out a new high end Mustang, you'd be surprised.

For OP, if you're into the tuning scene for this weekend warrior, check this thread out:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ged-gt500.html

Complete monsters...
      10-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #54
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Get an ESS VT2-625 and you'll be the king of the road. But... you'd probably still lose to the newest Shelby! I know I wouldn't go into a race with one expecting to win.

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #55
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I haven't driven the GT500, but i know what an additional 100hp feels like and that typically makes a vehicle a different type of beast. The GT500 has nearly 250hp more than the current M3 and more than DOUBLE the torque of the M3. Hell, the GT500 has more torque at 1000rpm than the M3 has at peak.

Now i love M3s, especially the E92 as you can see from my choice of current DD. But the M3 is no more similar beast to the GT500 than a Fiat 500c is to the M3. They are more than miles apart..... they're continents apart. We can call the 335 and M3 miles apart, but the 335 is worlds away from the GT500.

Speaking purely of the "beast" aspect of these vehicles. Each of them have their enduring qualities that can be appreciated by all. It just matters which one has more qualities that the OP will appreciate.

Edit:::: Leaving work early to go test drive a C63 AMG with the 507 package.
      10-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The vette c7 sure looks great but I'm 6'3.5 and 250lbs. I sat in a c6 and could not fit at all. They say the c7 is the same interior dimensions.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Fuckn dealer had an adm on top of msrp. I walked out and told him good luck.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #58
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Fuckn dealer had an adm on top of msrp. I walked out and told him good luck.

That is what I was talking about, back in 07 when I was going through the same debate they were tacking on $10K for the privilege to own a GT500.

As it was pointed out above the GT500 is a beast and I personally test drove one finally when we bought a Flex and one was sitting on the lot. Unlike Muscles cars of yesteryear which you battle driving them every day. The new generation are a little more controllable due to all the electronic controls, but you are still battling the car to drive and it is kicking you in the ass ever time you get on the gas.

I personally do not like chevy being a ford guy, but I am impressed with the new Camero ZL1 now that is kickass muscle car. The reason this car does so well on the track is the braking just like the BMW. They even road tested it against the M3 and it kicked it ass on the road course where the BWM should whip the muscles cars ass.

Last edited by Maestro; 10-18-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #59
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah the gt500 is a great car but I'm not a buyer even at sticker. I'm holding onto my BMW and waiting for the next mustang cobra etc.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #60
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
People who "have the money" don't buy M3s as their weekend/fun car.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #61
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
People who "have the money" don't buy M3s as their weekend/fun car.
I was talking about a daily. Regardless, there are many people who love cars, drive a beater as a daily and just save up for a weekend/fun car, and their budgets may be consistent with both cars mentioned.

There is a difference between 'having the money' and 'having money'
If you have money, sure you wouldn't buy an M3 as a weekend car, the M3 would be your daily with a Ferrari on the side.
Appreciate 0