BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Actually, the pricing changed between the time OP originally listed this and now. Someone must have made a mistake and corrected it. IIRC, the price was $6,999.00, and the core price was $20,000.00. Corroborated by some of the posts from the previous day, specifically
and

Looks like someone forgot to include the "1" before the "6".
Well so much for this thread then
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 Motorcars View Post
If you spun a bearing and find shavings in the pan or oil filter, if I were Dinan, I would not accept the core. Here's why. At the very least, you must replace both oil pumps, all oil lines (inside and outside the engine), oil squirters, and oil cooler. There is no fail safe way to clean these parts and guarantee they are free of metal shavings.
Once you see those metal shavings, it's almost guaranteed your crankshaft is damaged as well. Since there are no undersized rod bearings, the crank can't be ground down and fixed with +sized bearings. You need a new crankshaft.
I've also seen two engines with spun bearings that also damaged the cylinder walls. It looks like the pistons started heat seizing on the cylinder walls. One block was reparable by boring the block. The other block bores were damaged beyond repair. So if I were you, once you spin the bearing, I would assume your core is unusable.
There would at least be a conversation with Dinan. Dinans stroker 4.6 uses a new crank, pistons, connecting rods ect.... Meaning a damaged crank may not make an engine entirely unusable to Dinan. Even damaged cylinder walls might not be an issue given that Dinan is boring the motors out to 4.2L and 4.6L.

Finally, there are some interesting oil cooler cleaning services certified by the FAA for recertification in aircraft. They will also do auto oil coolers and radiators. I have used them. I believe the process is fairly straight forward and would be recommended if metal shavings are believed to be in the system.

If I had a damaged motor I would at least give Dinan a call.

Last edited by JEllis; 11-13-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #25
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
There would at least be a conversation with Dinan. Dinans stroker 4.6 uses a new crank, pistons, connecting rods ect.... Meaning a damaged crank may not make an engine entirely unusable to Dinan. Even damaged cylinder walls might not be an issue given that Dinan is boring the motors out to 4.2L and 4.6L.

Finally, there are some interesting oil cooler cleaning services certified by the FAA for recertification in aircraft. They will also do auto oil coolers and radiators. I have used them. I believe the process is fairly straight forward and would be recommended if metal shavings are believed to be in the system.

If I had a damaged motor I would at least give Dinan a call.

A 4.2 is a stock rebuild. It's not a stroker, the additinal Ci is gained from boring the cylinders. The crank/rods are OEM and the pistons are just OEM overbore.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Sonofabitch, yesterday the motor was 6,999.00. Today they edited the price to reflect the additonal 10k.

I can't see a stock rebuild costing more that 7k to be honest. Pisses me off that they want 20k for a stock rebuild.

Dinan Shits the bed once again!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
A 4.2 is a stock rebuild. It's not a stroker, the additinal Ci is gained from boring the cylinders. The crank/rods are OEM and the pistons are just OEM overbore.
Yeah but Dinan builds strokers so a damaged crank may not mean the engine is not rebuildable into one of their other products. Just because the engine is a core for a 4.2L rebuild does not mean that it cannot be used for a 4.6L stroker.
      11-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #28
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Yeah but Dinan builds strokers so a damaged crank may not mean the engine is not rebuildable into one of their other products. Just because the engine is a core for a 4.2L rebuild does not mean that it cannot be used for a 4.6L stroker.
Maybe, but knowing Dinan, most likely not. I don't think they can cut the OEM crank and I'm sure they want something that can be reinstalled in a car. Who knows, hopefully we won't have to find out firsthand lol
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #29
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Maybe, but knowing Dinan, most likely not. I don't think they can cut the OEM crank and I'm sure they want something that can be reinstalled in a car. Who knows, hopefully we won't have to find out firsthand lol
Word... I would think something can be worked out considering their 4.6 motors do not re-use the BMW crank but who knows. I personally have a lot respect for Dinan, their history, and their products.
      11-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #30
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Eh,

This is just Dinan proving that they are overpriced douchebags. $17k for an engine that is marginally better at best. They can kiss my country ass.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #31
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Eh,

This is just Dinan proving that they are overpriced douchebags. $17k for an engine that is marginally better at best. They can kiss my country ass.
$17K + Core vs $23K + Core. Out of warranty, I would probably choose Dinan.
      11-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #32
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Eh,

The most expensive way to get the rod bearings replaced.
Appreciate 0