BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
If anyone knows what's causing the rattle in the back let me know ASAP, I was thinking it's the shelf too but I'm not sure.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #24
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I also had the rear shelf rattle. They pulled it and added some foam and felt tape around the edges. Seems to have worked.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #25
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

+1 Mine had the exact same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #26
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I had a 330Ci MY06 that had this same rattle..

Does the E92 have rear folding seats with boot access? If so, this was the problem with my car..The seats locking device wasnt locking the seat in securely and causing this rattle..

Dont know what the dealer did, but came back with rattle fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #27
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Mine might as well be from there, but I can't do anything (I have tried punching the console but nothing). If it isn't the seat belts/buckles then next time I bring it in I will also ask them to look into this.

Let me know if the dealer fixed it for you.
FYI, I spent 2 hours in the back seat on the autobahn while the GF drove just so I could locate the rattle. I played with the pass through in the rear seat, seat belts etc. Rattles in a car are very deceptive, and I had pushed and prodded the rear vent several times without success until I applied pressure in the proper direction (Hard, straight down). If the dealer cant fix it, I am going to have to take it off and dynamat the whole thing to change its resonant frequency. I like to drive and listen to the car. Motor, trans, etc. and rattles drive me crazy, hence the two hours in the back on the bahn. On a side note, the back is pretty comfortable.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #28
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Dynamat is a butyl - aluminum foil product called constrained layer damper. It dampens vibrations in panels and is very effective for damping low frequency disturbances on panels/floors/front of dash/roof caused by road noise, a portion of wind noise and engine noise. I'm afraid the dynamat will not help with your interior rattle. You've got to find the two opposing surfaces and put a piece of felt tape, foam - or heck, a slice of dynamat - between them to keep them from rattling.
      08-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #29
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I have been using dynamat in this fashion for years. It works great! But your point is well taken in most circumstances...

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #30
wheelman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 MT

My rattles come from the center stack in the dashboard. Very annoying.
      08-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #31
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

If the rattle is from the rear seat vent unit then change the settings on it...same applies if you have a rattle from around the outlets in front of the idrive screen. I think a mid warm setting works best while cold usually causes squeeks and rattles.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #32
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
If the rattle is from the rear seat vent unit then change the settings on it...same applies if you have a rattle from around the outlets in front of the idrive screen. I think a mid warm setting works best while cold usually causes squeeks and rattles.
I get occasional rattling from the rear seat vents, usually it rattles when the road surface is such that the fins (or something else) resonates, or when I go over some bumps. I tried switching off the air flow, moved the grilles in any possible direction but still the occasional rattling is there. Well, at least it is not constant & at all times present...

But your idea is a good one, then it is only a matter of whether people can live with warmer air passing through (eg if it is summer then probably this is not an option).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

My passenger side cup holder rattles like hell, I will ask for a replacement in my next service.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #34
bryanr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Just started hearing rattling this morning from the front center defrost vent. First thing I've heard, otherwise the car's been silent.
      09-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #35
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I have rattles too in the same area (passenger door), but I will not have the dealer fix them for my e92 m3.

I had the rattles in my e46 m3 fixed by the dealer, and they made it worse (passenger door as well). Same thing goes for my buddy with a e92 335. His rattles got worse after seeing the dealer.

I would live with it, unless it was really bad.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
Mpressed
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have rattles and squeaks everywhere on my 09 DCT w/ less than 900 miles on it. My dealer sent me a pair of ear muffs.

09 E90 DCT -> Squeaks and Rattle package

03 Boosted IS300
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #37
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
I noticed a rattle too so i thought i bump this...

I isolated the rattle, it is coming from the rear seat vent, i think its from the inside, if i tap it with my fist i can replicate the sound when i go over a bump on the road...its quite annoying but with music on its not noticeable. Anyone able to get rid of it??
      11-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #38
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Any progress on rear seat rattles? Has anyone conditioned the seats to improve the rubbing? I brought my car in for a list of rattles, and have most of them fixed. For the speedo/tach unit and nav screen areas, they used felt tape to secure the modules, and this has worked. When the car is cold, my rear seats seem to rub and creak, and when it is warmer, the area up by the 3rd brake light makes a loud creaking sound. I can replicate the sound when I press on the unit, and I think it might be the cover that can be removed. It seems to come unsnapped or something and I have to constantly check it. My car was in for 3 days, and they put 31 miles on it while it was in service. Seems like a lot, but if it fixes anything, they can drive it for 60 and I won't care!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #39
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunae92 View Post
For the speedo/tach unit and nav screen areas, they used felt tape to secure the modules, and this has worked.
Do you know exactly what the did, and what they took apart? I also have a stupid rattle coming from inside the dash, so it very well be what you had. I initially thought it was the center speaker-like cover (and it may very well be rattling too), but the bulk of the noise has to be the nav, which is right below. I also get a rattle more to the left, probably from the speedo/tach you mentioned as well. I just prefer to do it myself. Oh, and how do we remove the rear seat cushions? Do they just pull up from the front like the E90?

German cars are not supposed to have this level of sloppy build quality, no? Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #40
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

The printout I received said that they put felt tape on the unit in the nav and tach areas...the plastic casing I would think. As far as the rear seats, I still don't have that resolved....I have taken in the car 4 or 5 times about it and it is a perfect ride every time I get the shop foreman in the car with me. It may rattle and creak the whole way to the dealership, but not when I am riding with somebody else. Weird thing is, when I get it the back to try to move the seats and see if they are loose, they seem very tight and secure. I think I will put a little more felt tape and try to condition the contact points of the leather. My 335i didn't have this problem! (or any of these problems)
Appreciate 0