BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

06-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Dinan Suspension on ZCP Equipped Cars.. Anyone running this?

How does this setup feel? Anyone have some pictures to post?
      06-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Based on your signature, you have a KW variant 3 setup. Is this correct? Do you want to change to a (less agressive) Dinan setup?

If so, I can tell you about my experience. I have a 2011 ZCP sedan and had the Dinan Stage III suspension installed soon after taking delivery. Some people on this board suggested that I wasted my money because if I had planned on doing the Dinan suspension from the outset, I should have just ordered a non-ZCP car. By getting a ZCP car, however, I did get the updated/improved EDC system that runs in variable mode even in full firm, I got the updated/improved MDM, and I got the ZCP wheels, which I prefer to all the other stock wheels. With that in mind, I think it was a good decision overall and I'd probably do it the same way again if I could.

The Dinan suspension rides at about the same height as the ZCP suspension, which is lower than non-ZCP cars by about a half of an inch. Dinan specifically designed the system to allow MORE wheel travel despite shorter springs by changing the bump stops, so in some ways the ride is actually more compliant than stock. But when the EDC is set on the second or third position on the track, the car handles beautifully. According to my local shop, oftentimes when people just do shorter springs alone on the M3 it's counterproductive because while it may give an impressive look/stance, the compliance becomes terrible and the car skitters all over the place on bumpy surfaces. Another big advantage of the Dinan stage III is the camber plates to allow for more negative front camber than stock. Dinan suggests -1.8 up front for street and occasional track use, but I believe it can be set more aggressively if you'd like. And I like the fact that it's warranteed/supported by my dealer.

Attached are photos of the car with the Dinan suspension on the track, and at rest with track wheels/tires on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Kinda OT, but I agree with what you said about just dropping car with springs only messing up the geometry of the suspension.

My car was dropped 1 1/4 inch on all 4 corners with coil sleeve kit and it did exactly what you said...handled horribly on uneven pavement...extremely bouncy.

I raised the car 1/2 inch and now its much much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Based on your signature, you have a KW variant 3 setup. Is this correct? Do you want to change to a (less agressive) Dinan setup?

If so, I can tell you about my experience. I have a 2011 ZCP sedan and had the Dinan Stage III suspension installed soon after taking delivery. Some people on this board suggested that I wasted my money because if I had planned on doing the Dinan suspension from the outset, I should have just ordered a non-ZCP car. By getting a ZCP car, however, I did get the updated/improved EDC system that runs in variable mode even in full firm, I got the updated/improved MDM, and I got the ZCP wheels, which I prefer to all the other stock wheels. With that in mind, I think it was a good decision overall and I'd probably do it the same way again if I could.

The Dinan suspension rides at about the same height as the ZCP suspension, which is lower than non-ZCP cars by about a half of an inch. Dinan specifically designed the system to allow MORE wheel travel despite shorter springs by changing the bump stops, so in some ways the ride is actually more compliant than stock. But when the EDC is set on the second or third position on the track, the car handles beautifully. According to my local shop, oftentimes when people just do shorter springs alone on the M3 it's counterproductive because while it may give an impressive look/stance, the compliance becomes terrible and the car skitters all over the place on bumpy surfaces. Another big advantage of the Dinan stage III is the camber plates to allow for more negative front camber than stock. Dinan suggests -1.8 up front for street and occasional track use, but I believe it can be set more aggressively if you'd like. And I like the fact that it's warranteed/supported by my dealer.

Attached are photos of the car with the Dinan suspension on the track, and at rest with track wheels/tires on.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I need compliant suspension for the street. And since i'm only doing 10-15 track days on average a year I don't want to go full CO's.

How long did these take to install?
Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainofjjj View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I need compliant suspension for the street. And since i'm only doing 10-15 track days on average a year I don't want to go full CO's.

Thanks for posting.
If you are doing that many events per year, you would benefit from coils.
I had the Dinan stage 1 suspension plus camber plates and it did not meet my needs for track duty. To much roll, and I found the rear to have some degree of snap on oversteer.
      06-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post

Hi Paradocs. Thank you for such a informative post-it gives me a good idea of what to expect with a Dinan Setup. You're right, I am thinking of going less aggressive and currently the Dinan Setup is at the top of the list.

I have no problems with my KW setup. I actually Love it. It took away the stock snap oversteer and made my car more neutral. In addition I have a more connected road feel and a fair ride. The added performance is very enjoyable but I am not 100% sure if it is more superior that stock; just a more preferred feel and tailored setup to what I'd like my car to do. The look is phenomenal. I too love the way ZCP wheels look and have decided to stick with them no matter what direction I decide to take my car.

Why am I considering the Dinan? Not sure if you are familiar with roads over here in LA but my round trip commute of 95 miles is on roads often driven by 18 wheeler trucks who use these same freeways to make routes to the port or to make deliveries to other industrial areas. The roads are choppy, beat, and can be quite jarring. I'm still young so I believed that the firmer setup of the KW's would be easily livable but I've come to my senses and am looking for an alternative. After a 8-10 hour work day, its hard to appreciate the added performance of great coil-overs but instead I find myself disliking the tradeoff of 'extra performance.' Currently I'm changing the settings of the KW's to be as soft or softer than stock. If this works out, I will end up keeping the KW's to avoid such hassles of changing out and selling my setup; If not, I will order the dinan setup.

How is the rear end of the Dinan setup? I found the oem zcp setup to have a slight tendency to have snap oversteer. I hope Dinans setup doesn't make this More pronounced. Do you have some more pictures of your car with the dinan setup on stock ZCP wheels with the car stationary? I'd like to see the stance and the ride height of the front and rear. Do you feel you got any kind of drop in the front with the Dinan setup on your zcp strut/shocks? Any dislikes of the dinan setup?

Quote:

Thanks for posting.
To me, 10-15 track days on avg/year is quite a lot. I think a person like you would benefit with CO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I had the Dinan stage 1 suspension plus camber plates and it did not meet my needs for track duty. To much roll, and I found the rear to have some degree of snap on oversteer.
+1. Was the Snap OVersteer worse than stock? Same?
      06-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for posting.
The installation of my Stage 3 suspension was done at a local Dinan independent shop and took close to the quoted 9.5 hrs. Figure on $1000-1200 labor for installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
In what specific situations were you getting snap-on oversteer? Trail-braking? Lift-throttle? Because I'm still fairly new at this (track), I might not be fast enough or aggressive enough to be bringing this out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

a burrito--

I'm not sure that I've experienced the snap-on oversteer with either the stock ZCP setup or the Dinan suspension. I asked about it above, too. In what situations are you getting this phenomenon? Trail braking or lift-throttle in a turn?

I've been very happy with the Dinan suspension. I've not driven an M3 with a more aggressive setup such as coilovers, so I can't compare, but I think the Dinan ride is decent on the street and the car handles very well on the track, especially with EDC set to normal or firm.

I'll try to take and post pictures this weekend of the car stationary with the ZCP wheels. For now I've included a couple more pictures with the Dinan suspension and the track wheels to see if it gives you a better idea of ride height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here they are--pictures of stationary ZCP car with ZCP wheels and Dinan suspension. Pics are not perfect--in garage, and car is dirty, but should give you an idea.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0