BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #45
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
How about M-Performance Exhaust and Macht Schnell Track Pipes?

This probably has to be one of my favorite setups.
Are you guys planning to get another perspective (like driving or something) or is it not going to happen. You we like to hear more than just revs :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #46
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I have a welder in my garage and the skill to do the OEM exhaust mod. I chose to buy the M performance instead. YMMV
Good man
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #47
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This thread & feedback from M- Performance owners has sealed the deal on my decision

Can't wait to get one on the car & COMPLIMENT the already beautiful sound of the S65
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #48
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92M3C View Post
You are correct. But IMHO if anyone can afford a good set of forged wheels, then the cost of M Performance Exhaust should not be a problem, and it's also the cheapest Inconel exhaust you can buy.

I remember a few years ago I saw on a forum a fully modded Infiniti G35 with forged Volk rims and, guess what? Wearing Nankang tire.

My point is, if every bit counts, go for broke and get full forged wheels and lightweight exhaust since they are both expensive anyways.
I get your point, but you missed mine. It's not just about affordability, but if you're spending money for "performance" anything, then the money is better spent on something that gives you true performance enhancements. I've heard an M3 with a muffler delete and it sounded as good as an Meisterschaft race exhaust, droned less, and shaved more weight. I don't know about you, but if I can get the sound I'm looking for without spending a ton for it, why not?

Meisterschaft or Stoptech BBK? Which would be your choice?
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Your right I'm sure it doesn't. But the oem mod (2 perforated pipe method) does sound excellent. I bet the M perf sounds great in person too. But does the M perf sound better? Maybe, haven't heard one to compare. $3k Better? Most certainly not.
no it doesnt... i had the Version 1 OEM MOD exhaust. and compare to the M performance it was pretty close i would say the M performance just had a little bit more volume to it and growl.

not sure if its ghetto but when i did mine...

I cut the top opening and sealed it and painted the can with high heat black paint and top it off with a performance exhaust Black chrome tip..

spend 300 including the tips... i guarantee you it was not close to ghetto.. sound was good no drone, and still feels like OEM...

when the M Performance came out it was overly hyped. people were praising how good it sound, regards to quality for 3k, it looks like shit. people i know that owned it started to sell it and opted for another exhaust.. Yes we all know the reason why it was expensive due to the material of the exhaust but if your looking for sound.. I suggest you do the exhaust mod... I opted for version one because Version 2 and Version 3 is just freakin insane... but then again we all have different ears so i suggest to find someone in your local area and start there.

I opted for Akra Slip on due to the sound and quality.. I compared both and the OEM M performance exhaust is just not even close.

Last edited by Grail05; 01-09-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #50
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by burakkose View Post
i use m performance and it rocks.
there is absolutely no drone, whose m perf is droning, probably got it fit by a shitty shop
it drones like shit when you add an xpipe..
      01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #51
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I have done this for 15 USD !....and regret that i not did it from day one !
Love it every day even more...but one day of work !VVV
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #52
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I guess it is a matter of opinion as I have zero complaints with mine and love the sound. Not too loud and not to soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
no it doesnt... i had the Version 1 OEM MOD exhaust. and compare to the M performance it was pretty close i would say the M performance just had a little bit more volume to it and growl.

I cut the top opening and sealed it and painted the can with high heat black paint and top it off with a performance exhaust Black chrome tip..

spend 300 including the tips... i guarantee you it was not close to ghetto.. sound was good no drone, and still feels like OEM...

when the M Performance came out it was overly hyped. people were praising how good it sound, regards to quality for 3k, it looks like shit. people i know that owned it started to sell it and opted for another exhaust.. Yes we all know the reason why it was expensive due to the material of the exhaust but if your looking for sound.. I suggest you do the exhaust mod... I opted for version one because Version 2 and Version 3 is just freakin insane... but then again we all have different ears so i suggest to find someone in your local area and start there.

I opted for Akra Slip on due to the sound and quality.. I compared both and the OEM M performance exhaust is just not even close.

If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #53
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Interesting opinion on the looks dept... I love the ///M engraved emblems. Quality is top notch.

For anyone considering this exhaust, give it 6-12 months/10,000 miles for the sound to fully develop. However, this exhaust will not be the loudest on normal throttle. At full throttle, it's pretty loud, but not like some of the others, where the loudness/drone completely drowns out the beautiful engine induction noise.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #54
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I wasn't crazy about the low hanging cans and steathly appearance of the tips with the inner tip black paint. So, I just painted the cans black and removed the inner tip paint, easy breezy. I love the results, the tips pop now and the low hangers practically disappeared. Here's a couple of pics I think I've posted before just to give you an idea.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #55
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
I get your point, but you missed mine. It's not just about affordability, but if you're spending money for "performance" anything, then the money is better spent on something that gives you true performance enhancements. I've heard an M3 with a muffler delete and it sounded as good as an Meisterschaft race exhaust, droned less, and shaved more weight. I don't know about you, but if I can get the sound I'm looking for without spending a ton for it, why not?

Meisterschaft or Stoptech BBK? Which would be your choice?
Actually, I do get your point. What I merely mean is that whoever choose to buy the MPE, choose to buy MPE for reasons other than just the sound. I actually listened to many exhausts at a meet before committing to buy the MPE after doing extensive research. I was also surprised to know why BMW charges so much more for M3's MPE while so much cheaper for non-M cars (you can check the price for 3-Series). The major difference is in the material Inconel, which you're not going to get it cheap from ANY of the manufacturer. It's more expensive than titanium, weights the same and has stronger characterisitcs. By the way, because of the thinner muffler wall, there is a metallic type of GT racecar sound at high RPM that you don't get in OEM mod. If you have a chance to get someone with MPE to do a 1st gear drive by and then compare to OEM mod drive by, you'll hear the difference. I'm looking for the Ferrari type of high-pitched metallic resonace at high RPM (if you hear a Ferrari drives by at high RPM) and I care a lot less at low RPM (even better if the sound is mute at idle for me). My wife drives a Lexus and she hates any exhaust and bassy sound, if any. Everyone pretty much say the same thing like MPE is a waste of money, but not for me because I know what I'm buying. To me, my money is well spent.

There is nothing "performance" about exhaust. Perhaps you're looking for the right sound that suite you with less money, but I also purchased the right sound that suite mine. So to each of his own. I don't think it's correct to say your money or my money could be better spend elsewhere. What about if I say if you're looking for performance, why get an M3? Your money is better spent on a stock Cayman R that can kill a M3 with ease (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...r/viewall.html).

To answer your question, Meisterschaft or Stoptech BBK? I'll get both if I want to. They are not same type of mod and money is still well-spent for both.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #56
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Interesting opinion on the looks dept... I love the ///M engraved emblems. Quality is top notch.

For anyone considering this exhaust, give it 6-12 months/10,000 miles for the sound to fully develop. However, this exhaust will not be the loudest on normal throttle. At full throttle, it's pretty loud, but not like some of the others, where the loudness/drone completely drowns out the beautiful engine induction noise.
Amen. To say MPE looks shitty is like saying Milla Jovovich is ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder AKA to each of his own.

I did not do the OEM mod because it looks even shittier and ghetto. Just my thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #57
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

By the way, I noticed that a lot of people are quite obssessed with the exhaust tone revving while the car is not moving. Sound and tone for MPE is completely different when car is in motion, especially for a drive-by.

I took my car to get a tune from Mike and he tested the tune and did a quick drive-by. Holly Shit!!! It's the first time I'd ever hear my MPE in full rev while not driving it. LOVE the sound of it. The MPE doesn't sound much in cabin and doesn't sound much different from OEM mod sitting still, but to hear from a 1st gear drive-by it sounds completely different! A lot like a V8 GT in high end high revving cars like Maserati and Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #58
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Denk,

Like your idea buddy! Looks great
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #59
AxisMagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue

Denk,

Funny you mention this I just bought FlameProof paint to do this to my MPE cans, looks much better!

What did you use to remove the paint from the tips?

Cheers,

Axis
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #60
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
Denk,

Funny you mention this I just bought FlameProof paint to do this to my MPE cans, looks much better!

What did you use to remove the paint from the tips?

Cheers,

Axis
A soft wire brush attachment on my Dremel, then a buffer attachment. No chemicals used, the paint came off easily. It has a nice raw look to it now. It also made the tips look bigger than before. That black paint just hid them too much for me. One of my best mods, mom would be proud!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #61
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusivSTS View Post
Agreed

The shopping begins...

You will not be disappointed. I love my MPE. After it is broken in, it sounds even better. When very hot (after a track session or a very spirited drive) it is pure bliss . BTW no drone at all.

I have to admit that the OEM mod option does sound great and is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of sound improvement. However, having heard both side by side, I can attest that the MPE and OEM mod do not sound the same. The MPE sounds more refined, more exotic. Is it worth the extra $$$ ? Only you can tell .

My OEM exhaust had to be replaced under warranty and the dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade to the MPE. It was a no brainer in my case .
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #62
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Not worth the 3K+ price tag for a muffler but it does sound great. I am happy with mine and would probably do it for a third time if I got another

So then in reality you think it IS worth it??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #63
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post

I got mine used in mint condition for $2500. This is the price range for used set so if you can get it at this price it's a great deal than paying $3000+.

You'll see from time to time other members' selling this. I see a lot of members keep switching different exhaust regardless of Eisenmann, Akrapovic, Meisterschaft, etc. so I guess there is no one ultimate perfect sounding exhaust that fits it all.

Best way is to go to a M3 meet and see if there is a OEM mod and MPE and listen to compare the sound. Other than the sound, you're paying a good discount for lightweight exhaust made of very expensive Inconel.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #64
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

M Performance is the best. I've owned many different systems and this is by far the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #65
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
it drones like shit when you add an xpipe..
m performance isn't a good option to use with x-pipe you're right.
I used to have meisterschaft gt2 with x-pipe. Didn't enjoy at all, too much disturbing noise for me
      01-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Personaly I do not think ANY muffler is worth that price tag however I wanted a better sound than OEM and wanted to stay OEM at the same time so I had to pay what the price was at the time of purchase.

I think the sound is perfect and I have zero regrets with the execption of less money in my bank account .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post

If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0