BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-26-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Angry Unlucky week@@

tuesday i was checking out some laptop and iphone at a local futureshop store when I came to the door exit, I saw an old Volvo with 2 old women left the parking space next to mine. While I got to my car, I saw a big dent & paint off my door. Some white paint residual from that white Volvo and I turned around looking for that damn piece of shit, but it was long gone@@....

a day later I was parking my car in a lot ready to get some starbucks drink, from the reflection of their window, one of my DRL was gone@@ I called my dealership and asked if I could do a quick drop by replacement. Anyway, I was told I need to wait 16 days for the first available appointment. That really surprise me because last time when I had a burned light, I dropped at my Lexus dealership immediately for a quick fix which took no longer than 30 mins. So, I called another dealership and they can fix it for me next Wednesday. While I need to bring it over, I decide to also go for the Dinan software flash.

However, I was told the bumper will be taken off when they replace the light bulb or fuse or whatever it went wrong. I didn't notice that you need so much work to just fix a burned DRL and I hope they don't mess up w/ my air scoop if they do take off the bumper. Just feel weird to me
      07-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Kitsune
BMW Freshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Soon) '10 M3 E92

Not to say it's a conspiracy or that everyone acts this way, but I do wonder just how many of those dents/moments of shared paint aren't accidental. You might think, "But they were two old ladies...," but I've seen some wicked old ones who wouldn't hesitate to throw a brick through someone's window. :P
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I hate to play the stereotype but sometimes you just have to park a mile away from civilization if you decide to park somewhere aside from your garage. I work at a hospital and I have to use the parking garage so I give myself at least an hour gap before work just to find that perfect corner spot. It's just the price you pay once you're in the ///M game.
      07-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I try my best to find the safest and furthest spot. I would feel so destroyed if I got a dent/scratch......

Sorry that happened with you man.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

You cannot park in a parking lot like everyone else and not expect to get dinged, sooner or later. The human race is just not as advanced as some give it credit for. I NEVER park somewhere where someone would normally park next to me. I don't care if I have to walk half a mile, I will find a safe parking space.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 07-26-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
You can not park in a parking lot like everyone else and not expect to get dinged, sooner or later. The human race is just not as advanced as some give it credit for. I NEVER park somewhere where someone would normally park next to me. I don't care if I have to walk half a mile, I will find a safe parking space.
Thank God I'm not alone!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
+1 on parking far away... I learned the hard way with my 335 and this will NOT happen again with the M3!!!

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

be careful in ur own driveway too, we ve had a fair share of fender benders, though my driveway is long and circular and has 5 cars in it sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
I hate to play the stereotype but sometimes you just have to park a mile away from civilization if you decide to park somewhere aside from your garage. I work at a hospital and I have to use the parking garage so I give myself at least an hour gap before work just to find that perfect corner spot. It's just the price you pay once you're in the ///M game.
I also work at a hospital and I go to an area where no one parks and the spot has enough room for 2 cars to I park as close to the wall so theres alot of room so no one hits the car when opening the door.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
You can not park in a parking lot like everyone else and not expect to get dinged, sooner or later. The human race is just not as advanced as some give it credit for. I NEVER park somewhere where someone would normally park next to me. I don't care if I have to walk half a mile, I will find a safe parking space.
You would think it would be that easy...but I've parked in an near empty car park, 200 yards from the supermarket entrance and a women has driven over and parked so close to me she couldn't actually open the door to get out!! I had to reverse out of my space and park somewhere else to let her out.
What was wrong with the other 2000 empty spaces FFS.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I try my best to find the safest and furthest spot. I would feel so destroyed if I got a dent/scratch......

Sorry that happened with you man.
You should park and take a picture with iPhone of the car in front of you and another of the car behind ...

And, I would take air scoops off if I would be you ... Or it could be another unlucky day for you ...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
You would think it would be that easy...but I've parked in an near empty car park, 200 yards from the supermarket entrance and a women has driven over and parked so close to me she couldn't actually open the door to get out!! I had to reverse out of my space and park somewhere else to let her out.
Yeah, I just HATE it when I park as far as possible, and then all of a sudden a random person just wants to park right beside me out of all the other ZILLION parking spots out there!!! MAN!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
However, I was told the bumper will be taken off when they replace the light bulb or fuse or whatever it went wrong. I didn't notice that you need so much work to just fix a burned DRL and I hope they don't mess up w/ my air scoop if they do take off the bumper. Just feel weird to me
I had a problem with my left DRL. It was not the bulb, and it was not the fuse. The computer saw a problem and shut it down, so all it took was a software reset. I told them that's probably what it would be, but they tried changing the bulb anyway. They didn't take the bumper off, he put it up on the lift and took out the left wheel well liner to get access to it... even though I had already checked the bulb myself (without taking anything apart). It's a tight fit, but it can be done.
So...
a) They really didn't have to take anything apart to get to the bulb.
b) It wasn't the bulb anyway.
You can't tell some people anything. They wasted 3 hours fucking around with that. THEN they did the 4 hour long software update. If they had done the software first LIKE I TOLD THEM TO, the problem with the DRL would have been taken care of.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 07-26-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Agree wholeheatedly. I tell my wife the same...sometimes IF you want/choose to drive a nice car/expensive car you just have to increase your situational awareness of what is around you and maybe park farther away (within safe area/means too) or park like on the end where at least one side of the car is protected/shielded to prevent those sort of things. It just the price of playing/driving sometimes.

Sorry for your loss/damage.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkaz View Post
+1 on parking far away...
Yet another one here. And under a shade, if possible . Walking is good for you . When I have to park in questionable places I take my '08 Accord coupe, but since it's also in immaculate shape (only 3,500 miles), I don't want any dings either. On a parking garage, I choose a RIGHT corner, since many folks drive alone, so less chances for a 'rogue' door reaching your car. The alternative is parallel parking outside, which is even riskier IMO. Glad I only have to do that a few times a year.

As far as the DRLs, you can get to them in a minute; don't understand why the talk of removing bumpers, wheel well trim, etc. By the way, I use toothpics rather than screwdrivers to pop the covers, with absolutely zero damage.
I wouldn't let a dealer touch it until I'm sure it's not the bulb, and I'd demand a reflash before any parts are removed. Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
That car was lookin' to get it on with yours. Good thing you got out of there before some real serious damage was done.

All kidding aside, I always spend time looking for the "right" space in parking lots. (I can't help it, but at least I'm not alone I see.) The "wrong" space is any space between two cars or where a car can pull in to the left or right of me.

I prefer parking about 1/2 inch from the curb on the passenger side. (But that takes some delicate maneuvering so as not to give the wheels a nice rash.) I figure if someone does park too close I have the odds going for me in that most folks drive alone and will get out on their driver's side door.

If I can't do that I park as close as possible to the "less desirable" curb.

All of this drives my wife nuts!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Yet another one here. And under a shade, if possible . Walking is good for you . When I have to park in questionable places I take my '08 Accord coupe, but since it's also in immaculate shape (only 3,500 miles), I don't want any dings either. On a parking garage, I choose a RIGHT corner, since many folks drive alone, so less chances for a 'rogue' door reaching your car. The alternative is parallel parking outside, which is even riskier IMO. Glad I only have to do that a few times a year.
Looks like we posted the same "parking theory" at just about the same time. I hate having to parallel park too--I'm good at it but most people are not and they subscribe to the "bump/crash and go" method.

I'm picky about shade too. I always look to see if: a.) it's one of those trees (no idea of the type) that "pee" sap; b.) there are birds or tell-tale bird shit on the ground. I'd rather have sun than tree pee or bird shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
All kidding aside, I always spend time looking for the "right" space in parking lots. (I can't help it, but at least I'm not alone I see.) The "wrong" space is any space between two cars or where a car can pull in to the left or right of me.

I prefer parking about 1/2 inch from the curb on the passenger side. (But that takes some delicate maneuvering so as not to give the wheels a nice rash.) I figure if someone does park too close I have the odds going for me in that most folks drive alone and will get out on their driver's side door.

If I can't do that I park as close as possible to the "less desirable" curb.

All of this drives my wife nuts!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Sometimes when I'm trying to choose a spot, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. My strategy does work and keeps my cars ding-free. The other thing to avoid is choosing a spot (even a corner spot) in a parking lot close to the store/business. Lazy people who don't give a damn about their or your car (and are typically in a hurry) will end up parked next to you. It always amazes me that people are not willing to walk an extra 50 feet to get to where they are going. You will always find me parked as far away from others as possible. When I am forced to park near others, I try to keep enough distance to avoid dents.
      07-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

As far as the lighting issue goes, the bulbs for the corona rings (DRL) are located under a cover on top of the headlight. Just open the hood and pop the cover off with a small screwdriver. This will give you access to both the ring/halo light bulb and the cornering light bulb. I have replaced quite a few of these bulbs due to broken filaments, so it is a common issue.
      07-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #20
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
I had a problem with my left DRL. It was not the bulb, and it was not the fuse. The computer saw a problem and shut it down, so all it took was a software reset. I told them that's probably what it would be, but they tried changing the bulb anyway. They didn't take the bumper off, he put it up on the lift and took out the left wheel well liner to get access to it... even though I had already checked the bulb myself (without taking anything apart). It's a tight fit, but it can be done.
So...
a) They really didn't have to take anything apart to get to the bulb.
b) It wasn't the bulb anyway.
You can't tell some people anything. They wasted 3 hours fucking around with that. THEN they did the 4 hour long software update. If they had done the software first LIKE I TOLD THEM TO, the problem with the DRL would have been taken care of.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. They replaced my bulb like 3 times and then realized it wasn't the bulb but was the software.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
As far as the lighting issue goes, the bulbs for the corona rings (DRL) are located under a cover on top of the headlight. Just open the hood and pop the cover off with a small screwdriver. This will give you access to both the ring/halo light bulb and the cornering light bulb. I have replaced quite a few of these bulbs due to broken filaments, so it is a common issue.
That's why I asked the guy why he went to the trouble of taking out the wheel well liner. He said his hands were too big to manipulate things in there. I guess he figured they were billing BMWNA for the time anyway, so he made an all day project out of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Thumbs up

Quote:
You cannot park in a parking lot like everyone else and not expect to get dinged, sooner or later. The human race is just not as advanced as some give it credit for. I NEVER park somewhere where someone would normally park next to me. I don't care if I have to walk half a mile, I will find a safe parking space.
+10000 I am always like this

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0